Author Topic: Henry Edward Bennett  (Read 5534 times)

Offline MalNZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Edward Bennett
« on: Wednesday 24 November 10 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Henry Edward Bennett was a baker and confectioner by trade. He was  reputedly to have been associated with MacIntosh Toffees company . 
A family researcher in the 1960's traced his forebears and I believe mistakes were made as to the maiden name of his mother, Harriet, and a few other details which may actually pertain to his wife. Unfortunately the researcher gave no sources.

Some key dates and places need to be sourced again, independently, and these are highlighted below.

Harriet (also Hariott) apparently was born in St Peter's Port, Guernsey in 1805. HER BIRTH, CHRISTENING, MARRIAGE AND DEATH DATES ARE UNKNOWN.  Harriet's husband is Edward , a tailor born about 1806 in England. He died before 1851 (?DATE).

The following are known from official records and the family records concur, except where noted.
1841 Census: 31 Sand Street, St Helier
Harriet         35      (1806)                    not born in census area (but in the Channel Is)
Edward        12      (1829)                    born in census area (St Helier)
Harriet         14       (1827)                   not born in census area (but in the Channel Is)
Susanna       10       (1831)                    born in census area (St Helier)
Thomas         7        (1834)                    born in census area (St Helier)
Maria             3       (1838)                    born in census area (St Helier)
Henry            9m                                   born in census area (St Helier) 
The date of Henry's birth (14/8/1840) fits moderately well with the census  9 months later (6/6/1841).

1851 Census, 16 Roseville Street, St Helier
Harriet     46   (1805) St Helier       born Guernsey, St Peter's Port, widow
Edward    22   (1829) St Helier       born St Helier, blacksmith
Thomas    15   (1836) St Helier       born St Helier, errand boy (NB 2 year discrepancy)
Maria        13  (1838) St Helier       born St Helier, scholar
Henry          9  (1842) St Helier       born St Helier, scholar (NB 2 year discrepancy)
Francis        2  (1849) St Helier       born St Helier (recorded as "grandson" but as "son" in 1861 census.- Susanna's possibly illegitimate son as father is not recorded at his baptism  (St Helier's - 14/7/1859).

Henry Edward Bennett married  Eliza Alice Downing reputedly  on 27/1/1867  by Rev Langtry (NEEDS TO BE CHECKED and any associated details ascertained) at St Saviour's, Jersey. If correct then the known dates of his daughters' (first 2) births suggest they were born out of wedlock and be in conflict with details of her previous marriage.  Family emigrated to NZ in 1875. He died in NZ on 27/9/1942 -  aged 102. A g-granddaughter who remembered him during his last 15 years died also at a great age only a few months ago,170 years after his birth!

Any details or directions to acquire certificates etc would be greatly appreciated. I think I have accessed all relevant online resources. The key thing is to have independent confirmation or otherwise of these details by persons not imbued with all the myths and misconceptions of a family now so distant from the original sources.

Many thanks in anticipation

MalNZ
Williams, Cardiganshire
Morris, Cardiganshire
Evans, Cardiganshire

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Edward Bennett
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi MalNZ

The Jersey entries are not too difficult to ascertain and I can check on these in the next few days. I'm afraid I can't do any Guernsey lookups.

I can see on-line that Francis was indeed the illegitimate son of Susanna. If you haven't already done so go to

http://jerseyheritagetrust.jeron.je/home.html

and click on Archive. Then click on Name and type in Bennett, Francis. Then click on the 3rd entry down Baptism Records. Click on More Details and then Transcription etc. The next page may take a minute or so to load as its a PDF file. Once loaded search for Bennett and you will eventually find the baptism record for Francis.

Remember Civil Registration didn't start in Jersey until 1842 so you cannot get certificates prior to this date. The Baptism records aren't available due to their condition, only transcriptions. If there is a certificate available then they cost £20 and are obtained from:

Superintendent Registrar
10 Royal Square,
St Helier,
Jersey,
JE2 4WA.

I'll get back to you.

Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 November 10 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

These are the baptisms that I have found. They are all in St Helier Parish Church.

Edward Bennett - 10th May 1829
Susanna Vincent Bennett - 15th May 1831
Thomas John Bennett - 6th Nov 1833, died 21st Dec 1833 aged 10 weeks
Thomas John Bennett - 11th Jan 1835
Maria Mary Ann Bennett - 3rd Feb 1839.

All of the above are to Edward and Harriet Bennett  although one of them gives the fathers name as Edward Harvey Bennett.

Strangely there is a baptism for a Harriet Bennett on 23rd Sep 1827 but the father is Edward Bennet and the mother Mary!

The death of Edward Bennett is recorded in the index for St Helier, Aug 1850 to Dec 1851, volume 7, page 20.

The marriage of HEB is St Saviour Parish Marriages, Apr 1866 to Feb 1869, page 142. There is an Elizabeth Downing on the same page.

I've already mentioned about Francis and I couldn't see an entry for Henry.

Hope that helps.

Stewart

Offline MalNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 November 10 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

You have confirmed my worst suspicions that my relative got things wrong in the 1960's.  You say Eliza Downing and HEB are on the same page in St Saviour's records. Are they listed separately and not noted as partners?   The baby Edward John was not known to the recent generations of our family.

The marriage of HEB and  ED must be correct and the first two children noted in the 1871 St Helier census, could well be adopted from Eliza's previous marriage. Is there any way of finding out?  The name is possibly DAVIS or probably LARKIN. I found no possible corresponding baptisms in the St Helier's listings for these names.

HENRY    29
ELIZA     (40  STRUCK THROUGH AND NOT READABLE ON MY COPY but known to be much older than her husband)
HENRIETTA   7
HENRY E    5
HARRIET M 3
HELENA     2
(and Alice born 1873)

Henrietta was at a Catholic School before coming to NZ in 1875. Her medal for "Good conduct and advancement in learning from the Catholic School Committee" has no identification on it apart from

MATER  AMIRABILIS MONSTRA TE ESSE MATREM  and
SOC PAUPERUM INSTITUTIONE PROMOVENDAE

which may give a clue to the school. Are there school records?  She was known to be not a catholic and  was married in an Anglican Church in NZ.  There myths of "social disgrace" in this family!

This record is probably of Eliza Downing with her previous husband.

1861 Census Union Street St Helier
Larkin, Patrick G   36  bmkr  Ireland
Elizabeth              32  boot binder  England
Elizabeth (Lizzie) 16  scholar   England

Many thanks for your efforts
Malnz

Williams, Cardiganshire
Morris, Cardiganshire
Evans, Cardiganshire

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 November 10 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi MalNZ

The index is just a straight list of (single) names contained in a volume which spans a period.

So I can see by checking the "B" index there is HEB in St Saviour Parish Marriages, Apr 1866 to Feb 1869, page 142. At this point there is no connection with any other name. To confirm who he married you have to look at the certificate. However, I can see by checking the "D" index that there is an ED listed on page 142. This doesn't confirm that they were the couple that married as there are probably 10 names per page. As I say you have to look at the certificate.

As regards school records those that still exists are lodged with the school and not at the Archive. I know, because my daughter went there, that there is only one girls Catholic School but that didn't start until the 1950's.

I can take a trip to the Registry Office some time next week and have a look at the certificates and report back. If ED had been married before it will hopefully say widow rather than spinster and if the Rector was good, also report who was her late husband.

I think it all rests on me seeing the certificate.

Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 November 10 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The death of Edward Bennett was 10th Nov 1850. EB was 47 years old and a tailleur. He died from Phthisie at Roseville Street, St Helier and the death was reported by Edward Bennett.

As regards the marriage of Howard Bennett you are indeed in luck!!

Howard Bennett was aged 26 years, a bachelor and a baker. He was living and born in St Helier. His father was Edward Bennett who was a tailor. The marriage took place on 28th Jan 1867.

Eliza Downing was the widow of Patrick Larkin. She was aged 36, a widow and living in St Helier. She was however born in Exeter, Devon, the daughter of John Downing, a farmer.

The marriage was witnessed by Daniel Scooner and Marie Bennett. The ceremony was conducted by William Corbett Le Breton - the father of Lillie Langtry.

Stewart

Offline MalNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

Many thanks again. It is nice to have those details which often lead to filling a small gap or add twigs to the branches. Especially important was Daniel Scooner/Scoons/Scombes who kept cropping up as godfather to some of his wife's siblings' children. I wasn't quite certain that he and Marie in those records were Henry's sister and brother-in-law, but now the whole picture of the family in St Helier is emerging. Only Henry emigrated, though I suspect another went to England - hardly emigration.  With him it is now hopefully complete to 1890. The confirmation of names and dates, with references is a real boon, turning myth in reality.

Is it possible to have any details for Patrick G Larkin (probably a bootmaker and possibly ex army) and their daughter Elizabeth (adopted ex Davis)?   What a story that one is too.  My dear gggrandmother  eloped with Davis at 16 and possibly went to France to be married. Elizabeth was born and the family paid to have the marriage annulled. She was sent to Jersey as the black sheep of the family. Davis was never heard of again. She married Larkin (?date) and he adopted Elizabeth.  Some children were born (?3) but Elizabeth and these were NEVER mentioned in the "polite" circles of the family in NZ. Indeed I heard about them only a few years (?8) ago from a gggranddaughter who died in her late 80's about 3 years ago (She lived for several years in the old family home with  Henry Edward).  I have no idea what happened to Elizabeth (Lizzie) or the other children (?2 m, 1 f) as they did not come out to NZ with HEB and Eliza.  She must have left them behind at  young ages (at most 14) and I can only surmise that Elizabeth perhaps married and raised them as her own.

With best wishes

MalNZ
Williams, Cardiganshire
Morris, Cardiganshire
Evans, Cardiganshire

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 December 10 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Just to let you know I haven't forgotten you. The Archive is closed at the moment for stock taking!

Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 December 10 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Could you just confirm what I'm looking for as I'm a little confused:

Any Larkin children between 1861 ( the census with no children apart from Elizabeth Jnr) and 1867, Elizabeth Snr's marriage to Howard Bennett.

The death of Philip Larkin beyween 1861 and 1867.

A possible marriage of Philip Larkin to Elizabeth before 1861.

Thanks.

Stewart