Author Topic: Family name YOUNG, Northumberland?  (Read 15051 times)

Offline youngjo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family name YOUNG, Northumberland?
« on: Wednesday 24 November 10 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Recently my father discoverd information about his family...uncles/aunts that his own fater never told him he had and we dont know why.
 On the 1911 census the occupation of my Great Grandfather John YOUNG, Hexham was 'Hawker'. His wife was Rachel Miller. They had a family and that was my grandfathers mum and dad. We have found relatives but they are very quick to hide any Romany roots. We cannot understand as they are all very dark skinned even my dad and to some extent my sister and myself. How can we find out more?

Really would love to know how to find out more, as we now live in Ireland it is hard to trace the info needed. Would love some advice/help for anyone with Romany expertise and esp info on the Northumberland/Carlisle area?

J.

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Family name YOUNG, Northumberland?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 11:25 GMT (UK) »
hi, youngjo. i may be able to help you a little. i am a full blood romany, but now live in a house, although my sons still live the traveller life in caravans. my mother was louisa miller from carlisle.born in a gypsy wagon in annan scotland 1928. her father was william miller horse, and general dealer. 1893-1958. his father was james miller same occupation.and so on at least to 1780s. there are  lots of the family living in cumbria and scotland.and they all had large familys, but they came from lancashire in the 19th century. along with my own family the mitchells who were pottery and eartheware dealer and hawkers market trading etc. one of  the millers wed a woman called dewsnap. from alston northumberland area. and did live and travel that area. i would need more info to see if i know any names etc, there are lots of youngs in scotland with romany connections. also some in carlisle who were involved with travellers,and horses etc. my own maternal grandmother was a donague of irish stock. there are lots of occupations that gypsys did in the past that can give you hints. also family names and surnames of other travelling famliys that marry in. it is a very rich history, but can be confusing because of the same names that are used again and again. for ex, there areat least six billy millers in carlisle. and five robert michell all related? but anyway if i can help, give me what you can and i will try to put it together. you can find lots on the aforsaid familys in  the (lanc  opc)site its free. also romanygenes. but there are lots of travelling web site if you look.see what you come up with bye for now ..rob..g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 11:29 GMT (UK) »
 If you let us know the facts as you know them (exclude any information of living people) we can try to trace them on the census and the like.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline youngjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 16:18 GMT (UK) »
First thanks Toni and Rob g for your prompt replies. I have very little really but here it is

John T. Young and Rachel Miller were my ggrandparents.
 William, their son was my grandfather was born in 1920 and he was second eldest so Im presuming they married in their early 20's around1913/1915 and dob approx 1890. I know its very little but im hoping to get more form my sister who lives in UK soon. They Lived in Hexham in a tenement.

Rob g - thanks for all that detal and Toni - hope this tiny piece of info helps.

Their occupation was "Hawker" and general dealer. I would so love to find out anything...

Thanks

J

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 17:38 GMT (UK) »
hi,  j, i  have not the time at present to look further, but i did find many rachel millers in cumbria, if you go to the l.d.s familysearch, and  beta search sites, you will find lots of rachel millers,in this area, some of whom are related to me i did have a great and g.g.grandad james, and mary miller carlisle. and a g.g.uncle george, jacob, and matt who all travelled the north of england, and lived in carlisle and all over cumbria it sounds to me as if there is a connection. you may have tried these  sites allready? if not they are free to search, and i am sure you will find something. ( cushty bock,)...good luck in romany..rob..g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 19:01 GMT (UK) »
here are the details you need to get a copy of their marriage certificate from the GRO

Marriages Mar 1915   

Miller    Rachel    (spouse) Young    Hexham    10b   611    
Young    John T    (Spouse) Miller    Hexham    10b   611

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 19:04 GMT (UK) »
there are 12 Young mmn. Miller births in Hexham beginning in 1915 with Mary J and 1918 with Frank then followed by William , the births go right up to 1934 so they may not all belong to you especially if they travelled around alot

to progress further back we either need the marriage certificate with their ages and fathers on or their death details from the GRO index which would give an approximate age and then we could look for their births based on these details

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 19:05 GMT (UK) »
i see now in your first post you say that JOhn Young was a Hawker on the 1911 census and his wife was Rachel Miller do you already know Johns y.o.b & p.o.b ? was Rachel already living with him ?

Offline youngjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Toni - That looks like the year they married, my grandfater was william and mary and frank are also my grand uncle and aunt, they had nine children as far as i know and i dont know if they lived together before marriage John T's dob or pob unfortunately.

My sis is going to order their marr cert fro the gro tomorrow and as soon as we have this we might be in luck. Thanks so much and i will keep you posted very soon with this info when i hav it.

rob g i havent tried these searching sites and its very interesting that you have similar connections to millers especially rachel miller, i am hoping the marriage cert will give me a bit more to go on. Have very little to say they were romany people other than hawker and names, how else can you know that they were romany gypsies?

thank you for your help

joanne