Author Topic: Family name YOUNG, Northumberland?  (Read 14980 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family name YOUNG, Northumberland?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 November 10 09:33 GMT (UK) »
In your first post you say that William was the eldest child b. 1920 but from the GRO index I can see that both Mary & Frank are older than William.
If all the 12 births in Hexham do belong to your John & Rachel some may have died as infants but it does also show that they didn’t move around after they married.
Do you know when John and Rachel died and where or at least an approximate?
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 November 10 09:40 GMT (UK) »
i see a possible death for JOhn T Young in Hexham in 1931 aged 38
Vol: 10b
P: 424

this would make him born 1893 and would make him aged circa 22 when he married Rachel if it is the same one.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 November 10 09:48 GMT (UK) »
In the 1901 census there is John T Young b. 1893 Walton Le Wood Durham he is with his parents in West Auckland, his father John is a coal miner hewer
As there is no proof that this is your family as yet and there is also no proof that this family were travellers as yet I think I will leave it at that and wait for yout o post details of the marriage certificate
 :)

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 November 10 12:06 GMT (UK) »
h,i joanne. your question on how to tell if there is a romany connection? well unless another traveller can verify it, as i did in a wilson, surname connection, with a member in scotland whose aunt was my .g.grandmother. annie wilson. nee lee. buried in carlisle.it can be hard, the only real way is to find other romany surnames.that can link you in. i will give you some of the oldest names but there are lots, and some times if a gypsy girl marrys a gorgio..non traveller..he would take her surname making it easy for him and the children to fit in. this still happens today. olso many gypsy men did all kinds of work but i will give you the most used.as to the names here are some.  of the older ones i know. lee..smith..boswell..price..miller..mitchell.. wilson.. burton.. butcher..welch..dale..varey..swails..( occupations )  tinker. tinsmith. general dealer. horse dealer. iron or scrap merchent. potterry/earthenware dealers.hawker.peddler.seasonal farm worker.ie fruit pickers. basket and swill makers. and so on. there may be no romany connection in your case. just the same names and areas. but i hope you find what you are looking for ..rob..g 
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 November 10 20:20 GMT (UK) »
I have it from the records at the JGLS that the Youngs were part of the Heron Family. A very old Roma family. They appeared to simply change name at some point for no apparent reason. I have been able to verify this as fact - via the census's so as you go further back in time, be aware that a name change to Heron/Herring/Hearn is possible.

Miller in the North is a Romany surname I have come across in my own family, so I think you can say that there is a very good chance your family were Roma. :)

Just as an example  (and one that could be quite relevant if we could only get back far enough to uncover the truth!)

Here is an 1851 Census from Thorner Yorks
HO107/2352/308
Miller Young head/Widower/60 no occ listed b.Yorks
Sarah Young dtr/unmarried/32 no occ listed b.Yorks

significantly, they are with three other families, the family of:

Maria Boswell head/Widow/36 GIPSY b.Nfk
and that of
Robert Young head/Mar/27 no occ listed b.Barnsley Yorks and wife Eliza.
And also that of
William Young head/Mar/35 no occ listed b.Lancs with wife Ruth.

(there are other family members to these three on the census).

Miller Young is very evident on the Heron family Pedigree deposited with the JGLS by the Revd George Hall. Only his name was very clearly, Miller Heron.
Miller Heron was reputedly married to Winifred BOSWELL Which explains to me why Miller Young was travelling with a Maria Boswell, who would have been his relative.

The Robert Young named was actually Millers son (known as Perrun Heron on the Pedigree) who married Elizabeth Gray.
And the William Young listed was Millers son William nicknamed Taiso, who married Ruth/Rodi. 

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is indeed Miller Heron with his family.

Offline youngjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 10:41 GMT (UK) »
My sister received my g grandfather anf g grandmothers marriage cert. The details are
Married Date 13 Feb 1915

Bothe Fathers were deceased but their names were

George Miller(Occupation not entered)
William Young (Horse Dealer)

Rachel Miller was age 22 and John Thomas Young was age 23.

Dates and place of their birth not given but the years would be 1893 and 1892 respectively.

What census info would have their birth details? Hope someone can shed some more light!!!

Joanne  :)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 10:46 GMT (UK) »
brilliant Joanne

the marriage certificate woule not give d.o.b or p.o.b but how old they were and where they were residing at time of marriage

this is all very important to help trace them
also it should show the witnesses - who could be relatives another clue to trave them

can you give us these details

what was JOhn Thomas occupation ?

Horse dealer is a common traveller occupation

Offline youngjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 10:46 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to add their residence

Rachel Miller - Holy Island, Hexham

John T - Skinner's Arms Cottage, Hexham.

Hope this helps.....

Joanne

Offline youngjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Toni,

I wrote this down last night when i was on the phone so everthing is everywhere.....

John T's (Registered in Northumberland Irish Fusilliers Northumberland at time of marriage and Hawker as well.)

The witness names were:
John Moulding and Jane Reed.

Joanne x