Author Topic: Death record James BOND Mayor of Swindon 1950-51  (Read 6042 times)

Offline ljay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Death record James BOND Mayor of Swindon 1950-51
« on: Wednesday 24 November 10 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I would be very grateful if someone would please be able to advise me of the death date for James BOND who was the Mayor of Swindon 1950-51.  I have no date of birth for him but judging by the Pathe News film taken when Princess Elizabeth visited the town I would think as a very rough estimate he was probably born c1900.  I am hoping to trace an obituary giving other family members.  Any information on him would be appreciated and thank you in advance for your time and efforts.  Ljay
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
WRIGHT (Hertfordshire/London), CROSBY (Nottinghamshire/Lincolnshire), STEPHENSON (Middlesex/Surrey), TRIBE (Surrey/London) HATTEMORE (London/Essex/Kent), MARTIN (Birmingham/London), DRIVER (London)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Death record James BOND Mayor of Swindon 1950-51
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Did he have any other christian names?

There are only 2 entries without other names and only one was in Swindon

James Bond aged 67 March qtr 1954 Swindon 7C 609

The other was b 1916 and died Trowbridge

You would have to buy a copy of the cert to get his actual death date etc as those details are not available online
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ljay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 November 10 11:30 GMT (UK) »
I am not aware of any other christian name but then I am having trouble tracing anything about him.  I know I have the right person as, following the Pathe News film, a family member has a memory of a photo of him in their grandparents' house.  We are having difficulty finding out just where he fits in so I will investigate the deaths you have mentioned (particularly the 1954 one which has to be favourite at the moment).

Do you know which newspapers were around in the Swindon area at the time as I feel sure the death of an ex Mayor would have warranted an obituary?  I also wondered if the Council would have a Mayor's Office with access to old records of the time.  At least there are a few avenues to explore.

Thank you very much for your help.  Ljay
WRIGHT (Hertfordshire/London), CROSBY (Nottinghamshire/Lincolnshire), STEPHENSON (Middlesex/Surrey), TRIBE (Surrey/London) HATTEMORE (London/Essex/Kent), MARTIN (Birmingham/London), DRIVER (London)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 November 10 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - I don't live in Wiltshire so am not familiar with newspapers etc

I think it's quite likely that a list of past Mayors would be held somewhere and perhaps the current Mayor may be the person to contact.   

http://www.swindon.gov.uk/yourcouncil/mayor.htm
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 November 10 19:45 GMT (UK) »
ljay give Carole a call, she was very helpful to me a couple of years ago when I was looking for details of a mayor from 1964.  She is a very busy girl but I am sure she will help if she can.

Ewan

Offline ljay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 November 10 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.  I have been in touch with the Mayor's office in Swindon today and they are going to help me.  Really appreciate the help, thanks.  Ljay

Offline Local Studies, Swindon Libraries

• RootsChat Extra
  • Local Studies at Swindon Central Library
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Just to complete this:

James Bond, former Mayor of Swindon, was buried at Whitworth Road Cemetery 10/2/1954.
Died at the age of 67 years.

Name: James Bond 
Death Year: 1954   
District: Swindon   
Volume:7C
Page: 609

Large piece in Swindon Advertiser, 11/2/1954.
Bishopstone, Blunsdon St. Andrew, Broad Blunsdon, Chiseldon, Cricklade, Hannington, Highworth, Inglesham, Kingsdown, Liddington, Lydiard Tregoze and Lydiard Millicent, Purton, Rodbourne Cheney, South Marston, Stanton Fitzwarren, Stratton St. Margaret, Swindon (Old & New), Wanborough, Wootton Bassett, Wroughton,

Offline ljay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for all the help.  Ljay

Offline Gwatts100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 May 16 14:14 BST (UK) »

I was just wondering if you were still looking for information on James Bond mayor of Swindon, I am his great great daughter (my mums side) would be happy to help

quote link=topic=498017.msg3548150#msg3548150 date=1290631733]
I would be very grateful if someone would please be able to advise me of the death date for James BOND who was the Mayor of Swindon 1950-51.  I have no date of birth for him but judging by theElizabeth visited the town I would think as a very rough estimate he was probably born c1900.  I am hoping to trace an obituary giving other family members.  Any information on him would be appreciated and thank you in advance for your time and efforts.  Ljay
[/quote]