Author Topic: Surname of - FELL. Cumberland.  (Read 4873 times)

Offline ingridp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surname of - FELL. Cumberland.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 January 18 22:37 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this thread is still valid.
Richard would have been my 2nd great uncle.  His sister Mary Jane being my 2nd great grandmother.  In the family bible I now have it does say he was born May 22, 1891 and died 1928 Oct 11 (my mother did cross out Oct and change it to August, but I don't know why).  His father James is noted as passing Jan.3, 1891. 
I too would like to know the mystery around the dates. 
I do also have photos of Richard as a very young boy and in the army, as well as his son Ronald with his mother Ellen and as a young man. 
If anyone is interested in sharing information on the family I would be very grateful!

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surname of - FELL. Cumberland.
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 08:59 GMT (UK) »
In the family bible I now have it does say he was born May 22, 1891 and died 1928 Oct 11 (my mother did cross out Oct and change it to August, but I don't know why).  His father James is noted as passing Jan.3, 1891.

Hi and welcome :)

The dates in the bible add to the confusion.  :-\

As I understand it, James FELL had married Jane TEMPLETON in 1887.

As you say, James died in Q1 1891.

The Richard FELL aged 6, born Carlisle, in the 1901 census had a mother called Jane.  If we look at the GRO index, the one born in Carlisle in 1894, his mother's maiden name was TEMPLETON.  A little voice in my head is telling me that James wasn't the father of that child. ;)

This suggests to me that dates written into bibles are not always reliable.

Likewise, if the death in 1928 is the relevant one, then it was registered in the second quarter of that year, thus it was before both of the dates that were written into the bible.  :-\
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.