Author Topic: Jewish ancestors in Worcestershire  (Read 2705 times)

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jewish ancestors in Worcestershire
« on: Thursday 25 November 10 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,  I have recently learned that there is supposed to be a Jewish connection in my family tree relating to an ancestor named Lucy Dallow (nee Bennett). Lucy's mother was named Sarah Causier & we believe that the connection is possibly somewhere along the Causier line.
I have spotted three entries on the JewishGen website which shows that someone has three entries in the name of Causer & Causier in Worcestershire & Herefordshire & as our Causier family were known to be a Worcestershire family I would like to look into this further.
Unfortunately, no first names or dates are given & the person who entered this information onto the site hasn't used it since 2002. I have tried sending a message through the site in the hope that it still might reach them but I had no reply.
I have never had cause to research Jewish ancestry before & so I am unsure how to go about looking into this further.
If anyone can advise me on any websites or organisations which they know of to be good for Jewish research I would be most grateful please.

Thank you.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish ancestors in Worcestershire
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 November 10 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this website?

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/r/i/l/Martin-robson-Riley/

No mention of jewish ancestry.  :-\
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 November 10 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hackstaple & bearkat, wow, such speedy replies!
Thank you for telling me about these points  ~  I do know of them both & sadly they haven't helped me in my Jewish connection search.
Never mind, I am always the optimist so shall plod on!

Thanks again,
Treefan.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 November 10 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Treefan,

Try www.british-jewry.org.uk and/or www.jgsgb.org.uk

However, Causer/Causier is not a recognisably Jewish surname. Indeed, none of the databases relating to Anglo-Jewry on any website (and there are several) contain a single mention of the surname, in any country. Presumably, you have seen this http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/causier.

Exactly where did the family live and at what time? It should be possible to establish whether there was a Jewish community in the locality at the time.

Justin

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 November 10 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Justin,  I can't really answer your questions I'm afraid. All that I know is that from several different sources I have discovered that an ancestor was said to have a Jewish connection & it was thought to be through her Causier family. I have no idea who amongst the Causier family was Jewish or had links but having looked into my ancestor's family I know that it wasn't an immediate family member. If it was a more distant relative I have no idea of their names, place of birth or where they lived or dates. All that I have discovered is that there are two entries under the name Causer for Herefordshire & one for Causier in Worcestershire that appear in someones known info which they put onto the JewishGen website which seems to indicate that there were at least three entries with fitting names in the right counties which could fit the bill.
It's such a pity that the person who put this info onto the JewishGen site hasn't got back to me.
Thanks for looking & trying to help me, I really appreciate it.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 November 10 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Treeffan,

The entries you found on JewishGen were in the 'JewishGen Family Finder', which is simply a means of communicating the surname(s) and location(s) one is researching to facilitate networking with other researchers. There is no need to prove that one is researching a Jewish family. You could just as easily register with the site and post the same interests.

I'm afraid it all really proves is that someone had heard the same family story as you. Frustratingly for you, that person was most likely a relative of yours!

Sorry, if it sounds like I'm pouring cold water on your story. I have sent you a PM.

Justin

Offline Artypie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 June 17 10:59 BST (UK) »
The Causiers/Causers are all descended from French hugenot migrants.

For anybody still searching the Causier name, the genealogy.com link in the above posts doesn't work because it is truncated, so here it is in full.

http://www.genealogy.com/ftm/r/i/l/Martin-robson-Riley/index.html
Platts - Morrell - Smith - Humphrey - Hancock - Heritage - Wilkins - Satchell/Satchel - Brooks/Brookes - James - Brown - Wardle - Hall - Croson/Croston - Davis/Davies - Fox - Humber - Sibson - Cooke/Cook -Chapman - Musson - Mountney - Ward - Cullen - Mumford/Mumfoot - Hoverd - Scriven/Scrivins - Ward - Harvey - Groombridge - Bullock - Holt - Harris - Cooper - May - Downs