Author Topic: 620 Sqn QS- Short Stirling Photos  (Read 20717 times)

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
620 Sqn QS- Short Stirling Photos
« on: Thursday 25 November 10 21:11 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for other pictures of 620 Squadron Short Stirlings designated QS- My father flew in QS-H through to 1945. Picture of the a/c & crew attached. Most published pictures of Stirlings carry the ML- serial.

Crew:
George, Jonnie, Vic, Phil Dale (Pilot - awarded the Croix de Guerre for services to the resistance), Gus, Snowy, Barry (my father)  QSH Nov 1943 (RAF Keevil?)
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Offline Flakdodger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bo.... Odd eyes - odd brain
    • View Profile
Re: 620 Sqn QS- Short Stirling Photos
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 November 10 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Guy,
Nice photos - reminiscent of an Airfix boxtop.
No obvious source of 620 Sqn photos, though.
Dave
The only free cheese is in a mousetrap

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 November 10 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the wiki link, I have devoured that one before. On checking my dad's logs I see that the  crew were with 299 for both D-Day and Market Garden. Log page attached. On 28.10.44 there is a reference to an op called "Bluebottle" Was this in support of the land forces?
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 November 10 11:15 GMT (UK) »
search images on google

ask for         620 Squadron Short Stirlings

there are a lot of photos and info
sylvia
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 November 10 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tip Sylvia. I have already done that and nearly all the photo's are from just two publications which I already have on my bookshelf.
I am hoping that through this forum some more unpublished pictures like the ones that I have posted may surface.
 :)

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 November 10 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My Sgt is really interested in 620 Sqn.  He has some medals from someone on that Sqn.  I am not sure who but you never know there may be a connection.  In the meantime if you havent already found it you might like to contact:
620 Squadron Register Flt Lt A T Gamble RAF(Retd) 31 Fairfields, St Ives, Cambridgeshire PE27 5QG: tel 01480 464212 which I got from the RAF Register of Assns...
Might be worth trying the Air Historical Branch at Northolt (dont have their contact details to hand).
Have you discovered the Stirling books yet?  I started with Michael Bowyers the Stirling Story.
Please let us know how you get on cos those are fab photos.
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline psychonaut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Guy, I believe that "QS-" were the codes for the squadron's "C" Flight.  You could do a lot worse than contact the historian Steve Smith, who is a proper "gen man" on the Short Stirling squadrons.  I will PM you his email address.

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 23:44 GMT (UK) »
I notice on the 17th Sept, he says "ex Stoney Cross" which is/was just up the road from here in the New Forest. According to the local history booklet, the Americans vacated the airfield at the beginning of the month and it was then used as a base for the Heavy Glider Servicing Unit.
Although the Forestry Commission took up the concrete runways  years ago, the area is still completely open and we spent many happy hours up there as kids in the '70s picking up bits and pieces. The post war roads  run along the length of the runways.
Fred :)