Author Topic: 620 Sqn QS- Short Stirling Photos  (Read 20828 times)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 620 Sqn QS- Short Stirling Photos
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,
Yes please! I would be fascinated to see any information that you may have.
It is my understanding aircraft squadron codes were often duplicated across several different aircraft during WWII. My father tells me that they had one Stirling that flew several missions with different codes on each side until some erk noticed. It was the aircraft number that was supposed to be unique. However aircraft were frequently repaired from major parts of others and as a consequence even that unique number could be confused between more than one airframe. A sort of "cut and shut" out of wartime necessity. This led to some vary varied flying characteristics between otherwise identical models.
Regards
Guy
  Aircraft  Battle Damage Repairs   they call it today.        It is a very important part  of Military engineering.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline bannism4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 December 17 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Good Afternoon Guy,
I stumbled across this post whilst doing some research on 620Sqn for a friend of mine whose father was a photographer during the 2nd World War. Whilst going through his barn in France he stumbled across 16 pictures of 620 Sqn taken just before D-Day by his father. Some aircraft were displaying invasion stripes on their wings. We believe they are probably taken at Fairford but there is at least one picture with the QS registration.
He has an appointment to show the pictures to the IWM in London this week.
To his knowledge these pictures haven't seen the light of day since 1944/45 and certainly have never been published. I hope to be able to digitise them for him next week and put them on-line so if you are interested I'll keep you posted. Do you happen to know the name of the photographer(s) who took the pictures you have? It may well have been the same chap.
Regards, Mick Bannister

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mick,
I have no idea who took the photos. Sadly my father died in November 2013, closely followed by my wife in December. I have only just picked up my family history again after that double-whammy!
I will have to double check but I think father had transferred to 299 sdn by D-Day, he was certainly with them for Arnhem.
I am most interested in seeing the photos that you mention, I want to model my father's aircraft and any reference material would be useful.
Regards
Guy
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Offline bannism4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 620 Sqn QS - Short Stirling Photos
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guy,
I have permission of the owner of the photos to show them to you.
We have put them on a webpage - hope you get some new information from them.
The IWM are going to feature them so you are getting a private showing of some very rare photos not seen by anyone for over 70 years, so please they are for your eyes only.
Thank you
Mick on behalf of David Hare

http://www.davidharephotography.com/

Moderator comment: Password removed as you state in your post they are for Guy's eyes only. Internet robots index this site very quickly. The password has been sent by personal message

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline walkerpete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Derbyshire Tup
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 23:02 GMT (UK) »
A friend from my family history group has contacted me to tell me that his father Flight Sergeant Ken Hillier served as a tail gunner in 620 Squadron.

Ken contributed to the book  'Stirlings in Action with the Airborne Forces' by Dr Dennis J Williams published by Sword and Pen 2007. Amongst the many photos of 620 Squadron's machines is one of Ken Hillier.
Walker- Tideswell  DBY
Conboy - Greagh LET
Wilson - Bradfield WRY
Prior  - LET
Sanderson - WRY
Graham - GLS
Such - GLS
Moffatt - LND
Hudson - KEN DOR
Prebble - KEN
Ling - SFK
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Titan123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 17:20 BST (UK) »
I am responding to the picture with the aircrew standing in front of the Halifax. It was posted some time ago so I hope contributors are still active on the thread. The airman second on the left is my dad, he was in 620 squadron at Chedburgh and then at Fairford. Sadly he passed away in 1969 before I was old enough to be interested. If anyone knows anything about this photograph  or my dad I would love to hear from you.

Offline Nigel Reed

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,
Enjoyed reading about 620 sqn as my father Flight Sgt Frank Edward Reed was a member of Sterling EH945 That was shot down over Hanover 27th Sept 1943.
only 2 years ago his grave was located at Hanover where i stood next to his grave for the very 1st time.
Like you i am some one who enjoys marathon challenges however mine are through walking see
www.walkyourowntalk.yolasite.com
Next year i plan to walk from Chedburgh to Hanover in memory him and his crew.

Flight Sgt F Emery, Flight Sgt H R Kerslake, Sgt W Howes, Sgt W Ewanko,Sgt Cavey and Sgt J L Perry.
I currently livein NZ but will be coming home Jan 25th next year.
Any advise would be welcome

NIGEL.

Offline Dr.Tie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 29 September 23 06:53 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anybody had any pictures of Stirling III BF 576?