Author Topic: Scaffold Hill  (Read 11564 times)

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Scaffold Hill
« on: Friday 26 November 10 15:28 GMT (UK) »
In the 19c the pitmen of Northumberland sometimes held mass meetings at Scaffold Hill.There is a Scaffold Hill Farm near Rising Sun country park Wallsend,does anyone know if this was their meeting place or was there another Scaffold Hill somewhere else ?

Steve
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scaffold Hill
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 November 10 19:05 GMT (UK) »
The Scaffold Hill where the meetings were held is the one near Rising Sun country park Wallsend. In the papers of the time it is said to be near Longbenton.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 November 10 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for confirming that Stan.It must have have been an amazing sight to see 20,000 pitmen (so it is said) gathered from the surrounding collieries,most of them probably having walked there.

Steve
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 November 10 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve ,
I have a book called Thunder underground written by Roy Thompson,it mentions at the end of the chapter on  the Wallsend disasters ,the union meeting at scaffold hall Longbenton,
Gillian
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 November 10 22:28 GMT (UK) »
If you go to http://gis.durham.gov.uk/website/interMAP/viewer.htm and enter the coordinates 430290, 569710 in to search it will center the map on the location. On the 1856-1865 map you will see there are two sets of buildings called Scaffold Hill, not Scaffold Hall. On the 1919-1926 map the Scaffold Hill Infectious Diseases Hospital is marked.

Stan

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 November 10 10:17 GMT (UK) »
hi Gillian,i wonder if thats a spelling mistake in the book because its definitely Scaffold Hill on the maps.There doesn't seem to be much of a hill there either which i thought they might need to get  the speakers above the crowd.

Steve

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 November 10 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Yes I do think its a spelling mistake ,you couldn't get that many people into a hall,and the meetings were huge by the look of things ,the Rising sun colliery is mentioned to on a few occasions as being in Wallsend,its a great book ,I bought my copy from Woodhorn last year ,to help me with researching which mines were where,it only covers disasters though and the outcomes of enquiries,
well worth the money; despite spelling mistakes,
Gillian
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 November 10 14:41 GMT (UK) »
hi Gillian,i wonder if thats a spelling mistake in the book because its definitely Scaffold Hill on the maps.There doesn't seem to be much of a hill there either which i thought they might need to get  the speakers above the crowd.

Steve

It does not appear to have been a hill  :)
hence the usual resort for public meetings is the amphitheatrically constructed place "Scaffold-hill". The Northern Star and National Trades' Journal (Leeds, England), Saturday, June 2, 1849

Stan

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 November 10 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Stan,that must mean it had been built specially to hold mass meetings for the pitmen ?

Steve