Author Topic: Looking for marriage - SMITH / MAYS  (Read 3326 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for marriage - SMITH / MAYS
« on: Tuesday 28 July 09 13:53 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a marriage record between alexander Smith (Quarry Master) and a Janet Mays which took place in Cambeltown on the 18 March 1875 and cannot find it in the GROs Scotlandspeople.

How do I contact them to search the parish records for this information.  Have you a website address for them or an actual address on record. ???

Marjorie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
Looking for marriage - SMITH / MAYES
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 14:11 BST (UK) »
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Marjorie

The marriage does show on SP with the date/place that you have. The only difference is that Janet's surname is indexed as May not Mayes.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HPpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I found the marriage your looking for on this site below

http://www.myainfolk.ca/records?category=27&type=&q=1875&sort=date

It a really good site

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Marjorie

The marriage does show on SP with the date/place that you have. The only difference is that Janet's surname is indexed as May not Mayes.

Monica  :)
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 22:00 BST (UK) »
 I have tried to search through the census's from 1871 prior to Janet marrying Alexander Smith and Although I did not find evidence of William O'may and Margaret Milloy marrying in Scotland I did find the following:
Alexander O'may born 15th June 1867 @ 6pm
Father Alexander O'May Distillery Workman
Mother Margaret B. McKay
marriage May 1837 Campbeltown  Address: Dalaryian?
Witness: Barbara McKay (Grandmother) & Alex McPherson
I think that this is Williams' brother.

Births: 1863 Catherine Taylor O'May born 30th January 1863 3am
Father William O'May
Mother Margaret Milloy   Parliament Sqr.
Witness: Alexander O'May her uncle present.   Is Catherine a sister to Janet.?
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 22:07 BST (UK) »
I have also checked the census records for 1861 and it did not say where in Ireland that William and Margaret were born.   I will try 1851 and 1841, but obviously I have no idea as to the time period spent in Scotland.  I will keep trying though. 
might need help past this timeline if no information becomes evident.
marcie dean
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 October 09 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, you havent got a contact address for Renfrew have you.
Im having problems finding a death certificate for Muir Smith.  He was married to Agnes Kirkwood and they married in 1852 in Eastwood Renfrew.  On his sons Alexanders marriage cert to Janet May (O'May) in Campbeltown Argyll March 1875 it stated that Muir was already deceased.
I have tried looking for him on the IGI, Freecen etc. but my computer is playing up and if I find a record which looks hopeful and try to open it, it comes back bad request or page not available. >:(
so as yet I havent managed to find him.
marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for marriage - SMITH / MAYS
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 September 16 21:26 BST (UK) »
no not sister, but  cousins.I have a districts census somewhere if it helps of all the o'May family where they lived , if you want a copy I will try and pm it to you. just like the campbell family which the omays' are related to as well as the smiths, alexander O'May donald,through janet campbell being grandmother to janet O'May on scotlands people if im not successful ronald john, james all the usual suspects.  the campbell smith milloy or malloyfamilies all inter-related.mostly around cambelltown including in the cemetry. when they had an outbreak of typhoid they put all of the people affected into the manse and burnt it to the ground. there are also records to do with the local schools which may be of help in tracking your relatives and mine. naming all of the children in the area.
 searl rogers sutherland