Author Topic: how long to death?  (Read 3560 times)

Offline dragongirl

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
how long to death?
« on: Saturday 27 November 10 16:20 GMT (UK) »
My Great Uncle Charles Jewell enlisted in the 11th Hussars at 19 years and 11months in 1876.On enlistment he  had a clean bill of health.However his army records show lots of  days lost to sickness from jaundice in his first years to Syphilus all stages by1886  he didn`t complete his 12 years service the discharge showing he`d asked for release and it was granted,
 My problem is I cannot find a death for him ,he enlisted in Bristol and was discharged in Canterbury, does anyone know how long he could live with full blown Syphilus bearing in mind he probably couldn`t afford the hospital care given to him by the Army  I`ve searched workhouses etc. His mother was still living in Somerset
but can`t find him on any Census after 1881 when he was station ed in Hampton Middlesex.

Offline Peter J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: how long to death?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 November 10 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello DG,

Did Charles have any middle names?

There are two deaths in the name 'Charles Jewell' with estimated birth years corresponding with 'your' Charles - one at South Stoneham, Hampshire, in 1894, and the other at Colchester, Essex, in 1899.

I presume you must be aware of these already though?

Regards,

Peter.
JONES [East London, Deal & Dover, Kent]
CROWHURST [Sussex & Kent]
GOYMER [Deal & Dover, Kent]
NEWSOM(E) [Kent]
GUY [Kent]
EZRA [St. Pancras & East London]
LINDSEY [North London & East London]
ARKELL [Glos. & East London]
CURTIN, O’SHEA, JAGOE, DONOVAN [Cork City, Ireland]

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 November 10 16:39 GMT (UK) »
I think I am right in saying that people could live for many years with syphilis, it has stages and sort of lies dormant for periods and then becomes fully active again. The tertiary ( third) stage is the last stage ,google it and you will find out better than I can explain it. best of luck.
                                                          Viktoria.

Offline dragongirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 November 10 17:12 GMT (UK) »
HiPeter
.No middle name  have searched every death up until 1910 even the most unlikely .I think he must be in a workhouse/hospital
somewhere,He never married so thought he might have made his way back to Somerset where he had family,  of course  it could  be the stigma of the disease.that prevented him coming home.  Thanks for your input.

Offline dragongirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 November 10 17:22 GMT (UK) »
hi Viktoria,   
     I think according to his records he`d gone through the last stage and at that  point  had spent 79 days in hospital- the different drugs treatments etc they`d tried were listed and he definately wouldn`t have been fit for Service
 However I can find nothing after his discharge from Canterbury in 1886-. Thanks for your input ,appreciated