Author Topic: Oliver family of East London  (Read 15404 times)

Offline Loulabelle80

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Oliver family of East London
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 22 September 13 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi John, 

I have only just seen this post logging back in to rootschat. It would be great to converse further - I am sitting here with my dad - Robert, and he would be delighted to hear from you. He is Ernie's son, therefore your second cousin!
Do you have an email address or is there a way to personal message on here?
Hope all is well,
Louise

Offline rocala

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 16 December 17 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
It was been a few years Since this subject was aired. I wonder if any old participants are still around, or any new ones?

I have made some progress with the Olivers and a lot with the related Brailsfords.

I would love to hear from the extended family.

Offline Loulabelle80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 15 February 19 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rocala,

It’s been a few years since I posted, but it would be great to get back in touch. I’m keen to carry on researching my family, if you are able to help?

Kind regards

Offline rocala

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have sent a PM to you.

Offline CarolineO

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone!

I feel that I have some relations here..! I have been reading this thread with great interest and have made an account solely with the purpose of getting in touch.

My name is Caroline Oliver and I come from a long line of Olivers, whom have had the family tradition of naming their first born son, William. We have possession of a family bible that has been gifted to the first born son of each generation starting with William Oliver in 1843. Though I understand now that William was the youngest of three sons - so perhaps William bought the book and then started the tradition from thereon in!

Anyway - I would absolutely love to connect with anyone who is interested in doing so. Please just respond to this message or PM me and we'll get chatting!

On behalf of my dad, uncle, brother and myself,

The Olivers

Offline rocala

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 22 June 20 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline, PM sent.

Offline Emma McKervey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 05 January 24 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
I'm descended from the Oliver family. My maternal grandfather was Sidney George Oliver, born 1906, son of George Edward (of the Old Bailey larceny fame!). My grandfather left London at 14 having lied about his age when joining the army. He ended up fighting in the Manchurian conflict and then was stationed in the Palace Barracks in Holywood, just outside of Belfast, where he met my grandmother,  Annie (Molly) MacArthur. He had a brother Sam who was killed in the Far East in WW2, and his eldest brother Edwin Persival was killed in the Battle of Loos, 30th Sept 1915 in WW1. He was in Duke of Devonshire Regiment. Sidney joined the 1st Airbourne as Sarg Major in 1941 and fought in Operation Market Garden, as well as North Africa, Burma, and was part of the liberating forces in Norway, where he was presented with a medal by the King of Norway. He had two surviving children with Molly,  John (Jackie) Oliver and my mother Jeannette. My mother had fond memories of Sidney's family who came to visit them in Holywood. There was an Aunty Soap and Uncle Gor' Blimey, whom I think was Sidney's sister Sophie, her son Alan Larkin stayed in touch for many years.  I would love to hear more about the Oliver family and their work with Whitechapel Bell Foundry,  and also about the Brailsfords.  I am currently studying for a post grad at the Seamus Heaney Centre in Queens, Belfast and would love to incorporate some family history into my work. I have come across Oliver watch makers who were in East London for many years and wonder if they are a branch of our family?

Offline rocala

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 14 January 24 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Emma, I have not come across any watchmakers in the family, but you never know. If you have any questions about the family, let me know and I will do my best to answer them.