Author Topic: Wood in Shoreditch  (Read 5830 times)

Offline juju9999uk

• RootsChat Member
  • Happy hunting
    • View Profile
Wood in Shoreditch
« on: Wednesday 02 June 04 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Can anyone help me please. The eldest of 4, John Joseph Wood was born at 16a Hewitt St, Shoreditch in 1928, as were his other 3 sibs  Joan, Jean, & Joyce. His Father John Joseph Wood still remains a mystery, I think he was born around 1905-1909 but cannot find him as I don't know where he was born. He married Esther Ada Sapsford and eventually after all the kids were born they all went to Canada except my step father.One of his sisters came back to England to live but don't know where she ended up.
Too early for the 1901 census and his father was also John or Joseph Wood... again don't know where or when born... Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.
My Names:
Hope, Taylor, Taylor-Moore, Moore, Galley, Lockett, Wright, Crowfoot, Sharratt & Wood.

In Areas:
Cheshire, Yorkshire, Norfolk, London

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Wood in Shoreditch
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 July 04 06:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Juju
this is the only John Wood I found on Free BMD that could be perhaps worth chasing?

Births Mar 1908
Wood  John     Shoreditch  1c 99

Deaths Mar 1901
Sapsford  Esther  82  Hackney  1b 361

Births Jun 1905
Sapsford  Esther     Edmonton  3a 618   
Do you have their marriage certificate?
Any ideas on occupations that you could follow?
Cheers Cougar

Researching STANLEY(Coventry to Shoreditch area, EWENS,(somerset) BARBER,(Holloway) WOOD,(Shoreditch area) WHILLANCE,(N-U-T Northumberland)  ROSSER,(Glamorgan Wales) REYNOLDS,(Kent) SPILLER (London)
This information is Crown Copywrite. from the www.national archives.go.v.uk.

Offline juju9999uk

• RootsChat Member
  • Happy hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 July 04 02:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks cougar,
Esther Ada Sapsord that I am looking for was born around 1904-9 and died in Canada could be a good possibility for the birth. The John Wood could be a possibility, they were married in (April, I think) 1927, Edmonton. Have sent for his army records to see if I can get date of birth etc from that.
Not got a copy of the marriage cert yet. He was a french polisher not sure what she did. His brother Sidney seemed to go most places with them, he even emigrated to Canada with them. They are all dead now, but I am in contact with one of the grandchildrens wife, she is trying to find what info she can.
His father Joseph Wood was a Timber Merchant, and may have had property in Southend On Sea.
Many thanks for your help
Happy Hunting
Juju
My Names:
Hope, Taylor, Taylor-Moore, Moore, Galley, Lockett, Wright, Crowfoot, Sharratt & Wood.

In Areas:

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 July 04 04:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Juju
With the occupations, was he a French Polisher in England or Canada   - I am working back in the beginning of 1800 so don't know what is available for the 1900's.  There should be trade directories available if he was in England and you might be able to trace him through that.
Try this website and email them (if he was in England) and they could perhaps let you know where to start looking
http://www.gadar.co.uk.
Cheers, Cougar
Researching STANLEY(Coventry to Shoreditch area, EWENS,(somerset) BARBER,(Holloway) WOOD,(Shoreditch area) WHILLANCE,(N-U-T Northumberland)  ROSSER,(Glamorgan Wales) REYNOLDS,(Kent) SPILLER (London)

Offline juju9999uk

• RootsChat Member
  • Happy hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 July 04 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Cougar
John Joseph Wood was a french polisher in the 1900's, I think that he was retired when he went to Canada, he was run over by a bren gun carrier when he was on manouvers at Salsbury and lost a leg,  his father Joseph Wood was a timber merchant in 1901 census, I would presume that it was his trade for life.
My Names:

In Areas:

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 July 04 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Juju
Have you thought to try the amputee association to see how far back their records go?  Or look for the hospital where he would have been operated on?  He would more than likely have needed another prosthesis when in Canada so you could try there.  If it happened on manouvers then certainly the army will hold records.
Did you try emailing the 'french polishers assc' and ask them?
Cheers Cougar

Offline mamajan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 May 17 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Juju,

Although its been quite a few years since your post regarding the Wood family I have only recently seen it and I am hoping that you are still researching.

My great grandfather is Joseph Wood born 1874 in St Luke, London and my great grandmother is Elizabeth Mary Ann Brown born in 1873 in St Pancras, London.

My grandfather is their son James Albert Wood who was born in 1901 in Bethnal Green.  He left London to join the Navy and was stationed to Devonport.  He met my grandmother Ada Florence Hammond and they married in 1923 and settled in Devonport.  When Grandad came out of the Navy he worked in the Dockyard.

They had two boys James Albert Richard Wood (my father) born in 1925 and Frederick Joseph Wood born in 1932.

I don't know much about the rest of the Grandad's family and would love to find out more.  Ellen (Nell) came to visit Grandad in the early 1960's and I can remember meeting Topsy who came to visit in the mid 1960's. The lived in Australia.  She was married to Toby who by then had passed away.  I believe he was Grandad's brother but I cannot find a birth for him - perhaps Toby was a nickname?  Do you know who he was?

I know my Dad and Uncle Fred used to write regularly to the family in Canada - possibly John.

Do you know if John was sent to an Industrial School in Cheshire - on the 1911 census there appears to be a James Wood (Age 10/11) and a John Wood (Age 4) born in Walthamstow, London.  I cannot find Grandad on this census as he or John are not at home with Joseph and Elizabeth.

On the 1911 census Elizabeth states she has had 9 children - 6 still living and 3 who had died.  Also on the 1901 census there is an Arthur William Wood - aged 11 - listed as a brother-in-law.  If is surname is Wood it does'nt make sense as that he would be a brother-in-law.

I loved reading your posts as it has given me some more information.

Would love to hear from you.

Kind regards

Janis Pow (Wood)

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 May 17 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Mamajan, it looks as if Juju9999uk hasn't been on rootschat for most part of 5 years (if you click on her name you can see last active).

I have WOODs in Shoreditch and wonder if they dovetail in with yours.  My earliest known WOOD is Thomas, who was born around 1790 or so.  I've only found him on one census so it's a bit vague, but at that time he was a cabinet maker living in Spitalfields.  Going down my direct line, his son George was bap 1834 in Shoreditch, George's son Frederick William was born 1866 in Shoreditch and Frederick's daughter Emily Louisa (my grandmother) was born 1904 in Shoreditch.  All of the men were cabinet makers.  They made the furniture that the French Polishers finished.

Now that we have mmn available pre-1911 on the GRO website I've been able to work Juju's line back another generation (assuming that the 1908 John suggested by Cougar was the right one) and it looks like his father was also John, married in 1904, suggesting a birth prior to 1888.  The only John I currently have would have been too young.  As things stand at the moment I don't have a Joseph.  Do you have parents for your GGF?

I've shied away from trying to research my WOODs any further back - common surname, densely populated area, the usual excuses - but I can't prevaricate forever.  DNA testing has given a few distant matches in Canada but we've been unable to find a link and have assumed they're spurious.  Up till now I've only established my direct line and the rough birthdates/places of my their siblings, if obvious from censuses.  In theory if we all do this, going back as far as we can, any shared ancestors should be obvious - easier said than done!  I'll start filling in a bit more.  Your Joseph's father may well have been a brother or cousin of one of my direct ancestors, if there are two of us "attacking" it from different directions we might get a breakthrough.

Best wishes
Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline mamajan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

Thanks for getting in touch.  I did realise that juju had not been on here for a while but I thought I might as well try.  What she was researching is definitely my relatives.

Is there another way of contacting her?

I have looked at my tree and I cannot see any connection to your relatives.  Good luck with your research.

You would not think there could be so many people with the same name in London.  I think sometimes you just give up - I have ordered a few wrong certificates.

Kind regards

Janis