Author Topic: Ayres family location in 18th century  (Read 44048 times)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ayres family location in 18th century
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 14 November 13 11:45 GMT (UK) »
The name Ayres has significant associations with funfairs. One brief link is here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=431592.0

In the post war years the Frank Ayres funfair toured in the south, and there is still an Ayres family in Southall manufacturing funfair equipment. I know of no connection between my own Ayers family in Berkshire and travelling people (yet!). It's probably accurate to say that the surname has connections with the travelling community but at the same time avoiding suggesting that that applies to all with this surname. The potential for further research using DNA is quite exciting. I'm thinking of getting participating, but I need to learn more about it before going further.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 14 November 13 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Imber. As I said earlier in this thread I cannot contribute a meaningful DNA sample as my Ayres connections are all on my mother's side. However, there are plenty of male Ayres from Lode who contribute to this site certainly related to me who could take the test. It would as you say be exciting.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 15 November 13 10:38 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to mention this:

http://www.ayres-rocking-horses.co.uk/

Stretching things a bit perhaps, but who knows.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 15 November 13 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Imber; strangely it rings some bell from my childhood. Will look next.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline joeyboy7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm not to sure who claims that Ayres are show people perhaps there are show people with Ayres name But Ayres is one of the oldest family's with Romany routes .Xx

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 11:59 GMT (UK) »
It can be an interesting and frustrating exercise trying to establish what came first. The name or the people.

Historically people used just a single name to identify themselves and maybe a trade or place name if meeting someone from outside the boundary of their existence.

And while we can point to a name and have a good guess at its original location - to suggest a group of people who adopt names from a language,  makes all the holders of that name from that group is tricky

Ayres come from Wiltshire as well.

A biographer of English/Australian Explorer Edward Eyre - derivation- has gone the Norman Knight route.

I think the DNA solution is a good one and Debbie Kennett has a wonderful book which shows how names can be proven to be localized using DNA."' The Surnames Handbook '' focuses on one name studies and how it can be narrowed down to one or two villages at times. ( I picked the book up for its content but also it had one of my ancestors names in it showing localized in Lincolnshire - which lead to a breakthrough)

Some Ayres come from Gypsy stock but not all Ayres do.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline joeyboy7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 12:18 GMT (UK) »
When researching Romany routes you will always come across difficulties as I have With my own My family used other alias couldn't spell read or write properly And often didn't give true details Also many Romany would travell in the summer months and rent rooms or houses In winter ,Trades would vary but mine were Scrap and rag dealers as well as Farm labourers To wood carvers Hawkers and horse dealer breeders . Many Romany also landed in London by the docks as whatever work could be found was often Taken and not turned down .The original Romany are said to have Indian routes and so were very dark skinned eyes hair You will hear of the term Dark blood or black blood . Kaulo rat as we say .
Romanys would live in tents or vardas Or even rooms . There were some family's who had Become wealthy and bought property's land and So on . If I can help in anyway Can try I was raised between houses and trailers some of my folk don't Acknowledge there routes either so trying to get info from some family members is difficult. My cousins still breed and deal with horses (grais ) and visit Appleby horse fair and still continue with trades and then some live As gorgia . With my family the name sanders comes up but they were in fact Dighton My coopers were lee But used cooper X

Offline joeyboy7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 12:22 GMT (UK) »
I came across some Ayres in Northampton a few years back 😃 x

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately the DNA route is not available to me as the Ayres were on my mother's side, and I have no sisters. Neither was there a male relative in the previous generation, my nearest male Ayres relative being my maternal grand father. I do wonder if a male Ayres in Bottisham/Lode or descended from there has had a Y chromosome DNA test?