Author Topic: Ayres family location in 18th century  (Read 44165 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ayres family location in 18th century
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 12:05 GMT (UK) »
That is how I would approach it. Find someone from the area who has done one and try to find the link to a known relation of yours.

Also look on here http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/ayers/

That is a one name study with corresponding dna information. Might be an idea to have a look
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 20:39 GMT (UK) »
It's up to them now; as I said earlier today there are no Ayres in my generation, my grandfather had 3 daughters, and of course the maternal DNA comes from another source, Cockerton a long way back to around 1540! The hope would be another direct male line great grandson of James Ayres; b1844 Bottisham Lode, Cambs.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Connor12

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 17 June 16 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi , just found out my mum was a gypsy she has sadly passed away but her past was a mystery , I think her dad was John or Jack ayres he married some one called Elsie the last location I have them is Amesbury wilts, told he was a fairground boxer and that's all I no can any one help pls also I have seen a Walter Ayres from same place . Thanks

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 18 June 16 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Connor
Welcome to Rootschat.
Hopefully one of the Admins/Moderators will see your post and move it to the Travelling People Board. As your mum has passed away you can post her name on here and people maybe able to trace your Ayres line.

Hi , just found out my mum was a gypsy she has sadly passed away but her past was a mystery , I think her dad was John or Jack ayres he married some one called Elsie the last location I have them is Amesbury wilts, told he was a fairground boxer and that's all I no can any one help pls also I have seen a Walter Ayres from same place . Thanks
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline Spireite63

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 23 July 17 09:42 BST (UK) »
i have a birth certificate dating 1868  showing william and mary ann ayres as parents to a boy who i believe would be my great great grandad from what i have been told there were four brothers who farmed in gresham norfolk my great great grandad moved to leeds apparently my ayres family now live in derbyshire but of suffolk norfolk descent

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 23 July 17 16:07 BST (UK) »
 I believe Ayres to be a gypsy surname which may partially account for its widespread distribution. I read that Ayres were in fact fairground people. The distribution of Ayres from the late 19th century onwards is due to the Industrial revolution, coupled to the agricultural decline. I have one Ayres working as a crane driver on the docks in Teeside, and another in a steel mill in Rotherham, both of whom were born in very rural Bottisham and Lode, nr. Cambridge. More different environments I find difficult to imagine.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline jondev

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 20 November 21 23:32 GMT (UK) »
My Grandmother is Ayres, and is pure Romany .We come from a lineage of Ayres , in England going back a couple of hundred years,  including Major Ayres, king of the gypsies ,Hampshire.The Family is mainly from around Hampshire and Sussex , but would have roamed around surrounding counties. Also descended from the Lee´s and the Doe´s. Not travellers but Romany, a genetical difference.