Author Topic: Marie le Guesne  (Read 2403 times)

Offline amazon510

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marie le Guesne
« on: Sunday 28 November 10 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I wonder could someone confirm for me some facts regarding Marie le Guesne.  According to a tree posted on Ancestry, she was born about 1669 in St. John, Jersey, married Gilles le Sueur in March of 1690 in St. Jean, and died in June 1732 in the same place.  Father was Elie. However there are no sources given in the Ancestry tree so I don't entirely trust it.

The reason I am interested is that I am researching the name Goosney, supposed to be originally from the Channel Islands but I can't find it there - I think it's a corruption of something else.  Guesne seems like a good bet but the reference to Marie le Guesne is the only one I've seen in the Channel Islands.  If it is a Channel Island name, it might not be very common, or maybe it died out.  I'd like to confirm about Marie, and ideally find out if there were more (le) Guesne's in Jersey in the 18th or 19th century.

Thanks for anyone who can offer assistance.

Jennifer.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marie le Guesne
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennifer

Not sure where they got the information from as Parish Records in St John didn't start until 1715.

I have managed to find the death of a Marie Le Quesne on 1st Jun 1732. She was married to Gilles Le Sueur. So it would appear that this has been mis-reported as Le  Guesne.

Kepp at it - You'll find a Goosney eventually!!

Stewart

Offline amazon510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marie le Guesne
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

Thanks for checking - I had a feeling that reference wasn't entirely reliable. 

Back to the drawing board!

Jennifer.