Author Topic: 1861 Leicester lookup  (Read 13368 times)

Offline henryk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Leicester lookup
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 11:23 BST (UK) »
Ian Pearson
I intend to write up my family research and request your permission to use extracts from your Rootschat mail with suitable
acknowledgements. I am particularly interested in any details pertaining to the KERSHAW family
The details are as follows
1 Copyright holder: Ian Pearson
2 URL: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=4988.msg3797301
3 Use of data
a) once only in a single family tree book; A4 and staples/binding
b) In the event that a book were to be published it
would be a limited edition for free
distribution within family only
c) on website (when and if I establish one; no website URL operational at
the present)
4 No money will change hands and I will be bearing all the expenses myself
Alan Boocock

Offline Trevor Godfree

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Leicester lookup
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 01:26 BST (UK) »
Danet of danets hall ,what puzzles me is danet enters into the family here which seams to give the answer to how the land is actually acuired being. Henry of Grosmont, 1st Duke of Lancaster, 4th Earl of Leicester and Lancaster,KG[a] (c. 1310 – 23 March 1361), also Earl of Derby, was a member of the English nobility in the 14th century, and a prominent English diplomat, politician, and soldier. The son and heir of Henry, 3rd Earl of Lancaster, and Maud Chaworth, he became one of Edward III's most trusted captains in the early phases of the Hundred Years' War and distinguished himself with victory in theBattle of Auberoche. He was a founding member and the second Knight of theOrder of the Garter in 1348,[1] and in 1351 was created duke. An intelligent and reflective man, Grosmont taught himself to write and was the author of the bookLivre de seyntz medicines, a highly personal devotional treatise. He is remembered as one of the founders and early patrons of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, which was established by two of the guilds of the town in 1352.PROBLEM BEING, ,the danets have owned St Marys mill sine 1200.I've got this feeling because of the royal connection and it's a Lincoln name and the Bishop of Lincoln is relavent in the history also think about the Lincoln to York Road which leicester seams to be on route. Also the land is so very close to the heart of Leicester more than any other land altho just outside the walls of the city.I just got this feeling the danets wasent around when the vikings invaded but got a feeling it may be that they got the land threw being involved in the battle of Hastings 1066.