Author Topic: Why cant i find their marriage on Scotlands People  (Read 5491 times)

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Why cant i find their marriage on Scotlands People
« on: Tuesday 12 April 05 15:08 BST (UK) »
I have a problem.I have the marriage date of my 5 times grt grandparents which i can find on the lds site so why havent scotlands people got it on their site.I just think its strange for a Scottish site not have the marriage record and yet the mormon site has.Does anyone know why this could be.Anne.
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Why cant i find their marriage on Scotlands People
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 April 05 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

What date are we looking at here?  Is it likely to be a case of different indexing?  Scotlands People can be a little unforgiving when it comes to variations in spelling - you have to search for all variants.  The FamilySearch site throws up all the Mc.. and Mac... together but Scotlands People doesn't for example.  Also is the entry on the Familysearch site from a member submitted entry or from an extracted source?  If it is the former, then the information may not be 100% reliable.

Just some thoughts for you.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 April 05 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell,the name is Kennedy,i have been searching for this family for 3 years and am still no further forward.David Kennedy and Margaret Nicol were married at Mains and Strathmartin 1st April 1834,i have loads of info for Margaret,ie birth and death records but David is another story,i have searched everywhere you think of and cant find him anywhere,i have no birth details so cant find his parents and he disappeard after 1872 when he was in Dundee East Poorhouse,he didnt die in there as i have already been in touch with them he was there then left in 1872,where he went to after that is a mystery.Anyway Nell thankyou for getting back to me.Anne.

Offline AH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 May 05 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Just to say  have had a very similar experience on the LDS versus scotlands people sites. My ancestor Thomas Lindsay is listed on the LDS site with a birth and death date that just dont appear on the scotlandspeople site (and I feel I've searched every name variation known!!! :P) However I just came across the http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl
 site and found my ancestor on there with an age range which is totally different to the one on the LDS site so I'm going to have to spend a bit more at Scotlands people site and hopefully find the ellusive Mr Lindsay.......must admit doesnt give me much faith in the LDS site though
Cheetham in Eccles, Lancashire. Roxburgh in Galston, Ayrshire. Lindsay in GlenIsla, Dundee and Newcastle

Offline dkmcad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 May 05 12:56 BST (UK) »
Take care with the LDS site.  Some bmds have been submitted by people researching and can be wrong.    Dorothy

Offline dkmcad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 May 05 13:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry, should have said.  Authentic Births and Marriages on the LDs come under a Batch Number, either beginning with a C - births, or M-Marriages. 

Offline GEN10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 June 05 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hy Ann, don't know if you have found your marriage certificate for David Kennedy and Margaret Nicoll, if not, then here it is.

3 01/04/1834 KENNEDY DAVID MARGARET NICOLL/ M DUNDEE 282/00 0022

Found it on Scotlands people. Tried the search with Margaret's name and Kennedy as spouse and got no joy. Then tried it with just David's name and up it came. Hope this is what you were looking for.

Lex
FIFE NAMES:BELL, BEVERIDGE, MCNEILL, HENDERSON, HYND, MITCHEL, WEBSTER.
MIDLOTHIAN NAMES: BLAIR, CROMBIE,  FAIRNIE, GREENLEES, LATTA, PEAT, SNEDDON/SNADDON.
ANGUS: BEAN, COWIE, GOWANS, MYLES, SKIRLING

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 June 05 21:14 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Lex,i did have the date they married but i had no parents for david.I thought if it was on Scotlands People it would give the names of Davids parents.Now that i know you have found it i will go back and redo the search.Thankyou Lex for your help.Anne.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 June 05 21:31 BST (UK) »
Anne,

At that date - 1834 - it will not show David's parents' names.  That only came in when civil registration stared in Scotland in 1855.  Before that it is very often just e.g. David Kennedy and Margaret Nicoll were married.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk