Author Topic: adam king in banff  (Read 10026 times)

Offline jlay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
adam king in banff
« on: Monday 29 November 10 11:55 GMT (UK) »
       I am a decendant of Adam King, born around 1808, and Isabella [Brady]. Adam and the children -  Alexander, Isabella, James and John emmigrated to Aust. in 1854 but Isabella[ [mother]was not with them... so how can I find out what happened to her?
       Adam's parents are listed as James King and Martha [Park]... were they in Banff too?
        Isabella [daughter] mentioned a Devina King in her will [1881] in a way that suggests a family connection....any connection to Banff?
       Only just started these searches but it is addictive...

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: adam king in banff
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 November 10 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jlay

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Have you looked for the family in the earlier censuses, can provide you with lots of info. For example, this looks to be the family in 1851:

Adam King 43, Tailor 4 Clothier Employing 9 Men 1 And One Apprentice b. Minto, Roxburghshire
Isabella King 43 b. Turriff, Aberdeenshire
James King 16
Isabella King 14
Margaret King 12
Alexander King 10
John Duncan King 9
Mary Martha Park King 7
Elizabeth Duncan King 5
Adam King 3
William Elliot King 2

Address: 24 Bridge Street, Banff, Banffshire

All the children are showing as born in Banff. As you can see, both Adam and wife Isabella were born in different counties.

Given how many children they had, wondering why you only have 4 children showing as accompanying father when he left for Australia in 1854?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 November 10 13:34 GMT (UK) »
For the 1841 census, I think there might be two separate entries for the Kings. You can check on http://freecen.rootsweb.com/ the entries. Adam King, tailor, and eldest son James show in Banff and I think Isabella with the other children born by 1841 are showing with a Brodie family in Forglen Banffshire. Could be her parents (names with fit with the names given to Adam and Isabella's children) but hard to be definite.

Relationships within the household were not shown for the 1841 census which is the most limited in terms of info, also, ages for everyone over 15 were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest five years.

Adam and Isabella's marriage/banns are listed in two places, likely where bride and groom were resident at the time of the marriage:

12 FEB 1832 Banff, Banff and 25 FEB 1832 Forglen, Banff

Take care when doing searches for Isabella. I think her maiden names was BRODIE not BRADY and this will affect your search results.  If you do a parent search on IGI here www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true - simply put in father and mother's full names (Adam King and Isabella Brody) and then British Isles/Scotland, you will then see a full list of entries for their chilren. These entries are a mixture of actual extract for the Parish Register and member submitted entries (which need to be confirmed elsewhere).

The daughter Elizabeth who shows in 1851 as aged 5, may connect to this entry, actual extract from the Parish register:

DAVINA ELIZABETH SHIER KING Birth: 28 OCT 1845/ Christening: 26 NOV 1845 in Banff

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 November 10 13:56 GMT (UK) »
There is a death showing in Bendigo, Victoria for a Davina Elizth Osborne in 1922 (Reg No. 4022), daughter of Adam King and Isobel Brodie.

I also saw a reference on a subscription site, on a family tree for this line, to a possible death for Isabella Brodie King in September 1884 in Bendigo and burial with Adam at Bendigo Cemetery, Victoria with a surviving headstone. You can search here for BMD info in Victoria https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=getHistIdxSearchCriteria. There looks to be a death in 1884 on the index for an Isabella King/Brodie which might be this one?

You can search here for King burials in Bendigo Cemetery www.bencemtrust.com.au/search.asp?search=true&sSurname=king&sInitial=&sYear=

Likely Isabella and the other children also travelled over to Australia given this info?

Also, see the Victoria Resources here on RootsChat www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,369963.0.html for a comprehensive list of resourcers available.

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 November 10 14:06 GMT (UK) »
I think Isabella and younger children may have travelled over to Australia a few years after Adam and the older children.

There is a likely entry for Isabella and the younger children (a few more born after the 1851 census up to Ada in 1854 which fits with the early departure of Adam Snr that year). I can only see an index entry but likely arrival on 14 Mar 1858 in Melbourne, departing from Liverpool, England on the 'Merchant Prince'.

Monica

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 November 10 23:35 GMT (UK) »
All the children are in the IGI as the family of Adam King and Isabella Brodie

James, born 10, baptised 22 June 1834, Banff
Isabella, born 27 September, baptised 16 October  1836, Banff
Margaret, born 12 May, baptised 3 June 1838, Banff
Alexander, born 10 June, baptised 3 August 1840, Banff
John Duncan, born 1, baptised 18 February 1842, Banff
Mary Martha Park, born 11 November, baptised 12 December 1843, Banff
Davina Elizabeth Shier, born 28 October, baptised 26 November 1845, Banff
Adam, born 23 July, baptised 8 August 1847, Banff
William Elliot, born 26 March, baptised 8 April 1849, Banff
Agnes Inglis, born 2, baptised 15 September 1851, Banff
Ada Jemima, born 16 November 1854, Forglen

There's only one child of James King and Martha Park listed:

Adam, born 13 August 1807, Minto, Roxburghshire (at the other end of Scotland). This is, however, a 'submitted' entry so needs to be treated with caution until verified by checking the original document. The index at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk does list an Adam King, baptised 1807 in the parish of Minto, father James, mother Park; and there is another entry in the IGI, this time 'extracted', giving the same information except that the mother's given name is Mader. So it does look as if Adam's roots may not have been in Banff.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jlay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 10:27 GMT (UK) »
   These replies and the information is amazing...words fail me. I am now a total geneology junkie...  I can't thank you and the process [roots chat] enough.
    Adam King's death cert. 1878 [index only] lists his parents as James King and Martha Park. Will get full certificate as it might give birth place tho they often say just Scotland.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to the Genealogy Addicts Club  ;D Enjoy your research - lots there to follow up on.

Monica

Offline shirlbur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 June 11 07:02 BST (UK) »
I have only just seen the posts re Adam King.  I am also a descendant of Adam King & Isabella Brodie.  I have been researching the family for  over 15 years and have most of the answers to the original questions by jlay.  Adam King had other siblings, who remained in Scotland, while he migrated to Australia with his family.  Please respond to this post if you would like further info.
King; Turnbull; Armstrong, Sutherland; WelshWelch; Brodie; Milne; Park; Tait; McGrath; Hargrave; Jennings; Schmidt; Gregg; Exelby; Round; Sando; Burns/Byrne; Stracey; Ritter