Author Topic: adam king in banff  (Read 10013 times)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: adam king in banff
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 June 11 16:02 BST (UK) »
There is one Brodie gravestone at Forglen. It is to Alexander Brodie (1784-1859) and his wife Isabella Eddie (1786-1867). Several children are mentioned.

If this is your family, let me know and I'll give you the rest of the details.

Graham.

Offline shirlbur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 June 11 07:11 BST (UK) »
Yes, Alexander Brodie & Isabella Eddie are the parents of Isabella Brodie who married Adam King.  Would love any info at all that may be on headstone, or any other family info.
Alexander's daughter, Jessie Davidson, died in 1896 and is also buried at Forglen.
Would still like to hear from 'jlay' as I will be able to fill in all the blanks.  I have some certificates also that that person may be interested in.
Shirley
King; Turnbull; Armstrong, Sutherland; WelshWelch; Brodie; Milne; Park; Tait; McGrath; Hargrave; Jennings; Schmidt; Gregg; Exelby; Round; Sando; Burns/Byrne; Stracey; Ritter

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 June 11 09:11 BST (UK) »
This is from a published transcription.

In memory of MARIA SOPHIA BRODIE d. 4 Aug. 1821 aged 10; JAMES d. 29 Aug. 1821 aged 12; ELSPET d.17 Sept. 1821 aged 6; This humble monument is erected by their disconsolate parents ALEXANDER & ISABEL BRODIE at Boat of Muiresk. Their son GEORGE d. 25 Dec. 1834 aged 10; above ALEXANDER BRODIE 1784-1859 and his wife ISABELLA EDDIE 1786-1867; also dau. JESSIE 1826-1896 wife of JOHN KEITH and later WILLIAM DAVIDSON, Turriff.

The Boat of Muiresk still retains its name, although the ferry across the Deveron there is long gone. The kirkyard is about half a mile to the west of it. From the number of deaths in the family in 1821, it sounds as if they all died of the same thing. I've seen that with consumption in a twig of my tree. It is normal, probably even the rule, for an Isabel/Isobel to turn into an Isabella from the 1830s onwards.

Graham.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 June 11 09:25 BST (UK) »
I see Alexander Brodie died in 1859 and Isabella Eddie in 1867, so you can get their death certificates from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and find out who their parents were.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline shirlbur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 June 11 09:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Graham for the info.  This now confirms that these children belong to the same family.  I have another 7 children born to Alexander and Isabella, but can't seem to find any further info on them.
King; Turnbull; Armstrong, Sutherland; WelshWelch; Brodie; Milne; Park; Tait; McGrath; Hargrave; Jennings; Schmidt; Gregg; Exelby; Round; Sando; Burns/Byrne; Stracey; Ritter

Offline shirlbur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 June 11 09:39 BST (UK) »
I have the death certificates of both Alexander Brodie and Isabella Eddie, thanks Forfarian.

Offline CKing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 June 11 06:10 BST (UK) »
I too are a decendant of Adam King from Banff and have only started trying to find out some family history. Shirlbur is there some way I can get some more King family info from you?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 June 11 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hello CKing. What you will have to do is make (I think) three posts, then you can send a personal message to the person you want to contact. If you reply to this, that's a second post. To send personal messages, you click on the persons name and you are taken to a page where you can send a message. They are informed by e-mail that someone has sent a message.

Graham.

Offline CKing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 June 11 02:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip Graham, much appreciated.