Author Topic: France: Etienne Rousseaux and Marie Jeanne Rive.  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Tudy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
France: Etienne Rousseaux and Marie Jeanne Rive.
« on: Saturday 27 November 10 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Some great info on this thanks. I have a different problem: I found one french ancestor born in Belfort (1825) but her father was a soldier garrisoned there so I dont know how to find out where the family actually came from.  I've seen a military history place in Vincennes would they give info on all soldiers? I cant really search unless I know his birth place

Moderator Comment: Split off from
Topic: French Relatives - Where do I start?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,173401.0.html
to form new topic. 

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: French Relatives - Where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 November 10 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tudy and welcome to Rootschat!

It would probably be best to split your query off into a separate thread.  I've never tried to get info from the archives in Vincennes but apparently you would need to know his regiment:
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/France_Military_Records

This might be mentioned in the birth records. Do you know how long the family were in Belfort for, and where they went after that?
Depending on how common the father and mother's surnames were, those might give a hint of where the family came from.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tudy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 November 10 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi and thanks for that jorose.  I had a look but it sounds as though they dont have microfilms at Vincennes and you are relying on them answering a letter - I could try! I know he was in the 59th regiment infantry.  Ten years after Belfort they were in Paris as one daughter got married there and seven years after that they were in Calais where my ancestor Marie Victorine got married.  Her parents were Etienne Rousseaux and Marie Jeanne Rive.  I think I will write and hope an archivist will reply. I dont know what you mean about a separate thread

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 November 10 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tudy,

A separate thread = a separate topic, just for your family (this one is more general). You can contact a moderator and ask to have the posts moved over.

When Marie Victorine got married, did the marriage record say if her parents were still living at that point, and if they were also in Calais?

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: France: Etienne Rousseaux and Marie Jeanne Rive.
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 November 10 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tudy,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

I've now split the topic as Jorose suggested.

Good luck with your search,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Okay, info from Marie's birth record in Belfort:
23 March 1825, registered by Etienne Desire Joseph Rousseau, 43, a lieutenant of the 59th regiment, a female child born at 1am that day, child of the declarant and his wife, Marie Jeanne Perrine Rive, given the name Marie Victorine Desiree, witnesses Claude Andre Adenis, Chevalier de Saint Louis, Captain of the same regiment, aged 48,  and Pierre Victor Girard, lieutenant of the same regiment, aged 36.

59e Regiment d'Infanterie:
http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/c_frenchinf6.html#59th
 - there is here a list of where they were up to 1815.

beta.familysearch.org  also shows a possible death for her mother: Marie Perrine Jeanne Rive, spouse "Mr Rousseau", d. Saint-Eustache, Paris, Seine, France aged 61 on the 19 May 1851  (unfortunately this falls into the period of records destroyed in Paris but it does suggest the family went back in that direction).

Do you have the info on the sister who married in Paris? We might be able to track her movements later and figure out where she was born.

Offline Tudy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi jorose  Thanks for all this help!  First of all the marriage - the only info I have got is from the tenyear list (decennales) which only gave the bare bones.  As far as I can understand it the full registry entry is only available on microfilms at the p de c departmental archives in Arras.  I guessed they were married in Calais from english census info which showed their children were born in Calais. I found their birth detaiils on the decennales as well. Marie Victorine married Edward James a nottingham lace maker and they later moved to England. I only know about her sister because much later she also moved to England to live with them and her husband was mentioned on her death certificate.  I will go to Arras if I cant find anything.  I didnt know about her Mother's death but that is interesting because I think Etienne would have retired by then - perhaps they are from Paris. Her sister's full name was Marie Augte Henriette Rousseaux (Would that be short for Augustine?) and she married Paul Louis Dieudonne

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 18:10 GMT (UK) »
You could try contacting the municipal archives: http://www.calais.fr/spip.php?article3009  (you are more likely to have luck with them than with the departmental ones) and asking for a copy of the marriage record.

Tracking the sister:
beta.familysearch.org shows the marriage in 1853 in Autrecourt-Sur-Aire, Meuse, France of a daughter of hers, Josephine Caroline Jeanne Dieudonne daughter of Paul Louis Dieudonne and Marie Marguerite Henriette Rousseaux.  The Dieudonne family were residents of Paris at this time (Meuse archives online).

Do you know when Marie Marguerite Henriette was born, approximately? (I am presuming you do not know where - did she die in England?)

Offline Tudy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 18:42 GMT (UK) »
She died in Nottingham March 1906 aged 90