Author Topic: RANDALSTOWN / TOOME - William John BELL  (Read 2305 times)

Offline plays54

• RootsChat Member
  • ScotlandsPeople www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RANDALSTOWN / TOOME - William John BELL
« on: Tuesday 30 November 10 05:51 GMT (UK) »
Searching for a William John BELL, circa 1850s, married c 1870s to Margaret FITZSIMMONS circa 1850s. They had a son also named William John BELL circa 1879, who emigrated to Glasgow, Scotland around 1900/1901 and died 1953.

I believe the family came from Antrim and the town names of Randalstown and Toome appear on the back of some family photographs taken in the late 1940's early 1950's.

Any information much appreciated.

Thanks, plays54
SMITH - Fife (Cupar, Dairsie, Logie, Leuchars) - Glasgow - NZ (Otega, Balclutha, Palmerston North, Gisborne).
O'BYRNE - Ireland - Glasgow (Partick)
BELL - Ireland - Glasgow (Whiteinch, Partick, Govan) - Australia (Victoria - Carlisle River)(Queensland-Kilcoy)
McCUE - Ireland - Glasgow (Clyde, Clydebank, Duntocher)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RANDALSTOWN / TOOME - William John BELL
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   12 May 1876 William John Bell married Margaret Fitzsimmons in Shankill Church of Ireland, Lurgan, Co.Armagh.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline plays54

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 09:30 GMT (UK) »
kingskerswell

Hi, Thank you for that piece of information. Cheers, plays54.
SMITH - Fife (Cupar, Dairsie, Logie, Leuchars) - Glasgow - NZ (Otega, Balclutha, Palmerston North, Gisborne).
BELL - Ireland - Glasgow (Whiteinch, Partick, Govan) - Australia (Victoria - Carlisle River)(Queensland-Kilcoy)

Offline plays54

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 09:58 GMT (UK) »
The Bell parents names I have given in the opening post are taken directly from the SRO marriage record.
My only surviving aunt, William John Bell's grand-daughter, only knew that he came from Lurgan, Armagh - so thanks again kingskerswell.

Confused now by the Randalstown/Toome photographs which were of my mother during a holiday in North Ireland taken several years before she married.  ???

On the paternal side of her family there are also Irish roots but they came to Scotland almost 50 years before the Bells.

Could the Randalstown / Toome connection be with our O'Byrnes? I have always assumed they may have come from much further south.

Again, any information appreciated.
Thank you. plays54.

Offline darcym

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 June 17 18:58 BST (UK) »
Plays54 -

I realize it's been quite a while since this post, but I wanted to reach out regarding the Bell family in Randalstown, Co. Antrim. My third great-grandmother Susan Bell lived in Randalstown, Co. Antrim. She later relocated to Duntocher, Dunbartonshire, Scotland with her family (she married William John French of Randalstown).

I wondered if you found out any further connection with your Bell family and Randalstown. I noticed from another of your posts that your McCue family was living on New Street in Duntocher (the same street where my William French/Susan Bell were living), so was curious if there was a family connection or just some coincidences.

Thanks,
Meg

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 June 17 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Meg

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

plays54 was online here a few weeks ago so should receive an email notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea