Author Topic: JustKia's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 9698 times)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: JustKia's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the link, Jan

I think I'm being a bit blonde today...
I see how I can write to them and request a copy (never had a cheque book though so will have to ask Grandma for a cheque), but I can't see anywhere to search on there.

Ah, OK figured it out (making friends with Google) the calendar is searchable on Anc  now I feel doubly daft because I've not found that before.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 21:10 GMT (UK) »
the things i posted earlier were exact matches for John Winbush i could try John Wimbush i think there are more matches
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 04 December 10 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, for my absence I got dragged away by family issues.
All is well again now.

Toni - I found the calendar on Anc, there's lots on there that are relevant to my interests.

Grandma wrote a cheque for me, so I've sent off for the Will of John in 1914. Will see what extra tidbits are in there when it arrives.

I think that question 1 is pretty much answered along the lines that this appears to be 1 John
I wonder why John changed his place of birth from London to Warwick though?

Any joy with questions 2 or 3?
Can John be found in 1881? (I've looked for ages)

Toni - those sailings you found - when were they for?
2 sailings into England one from Australia and one from Japan
2 sailings to New York from Liverpool and from Quebec
I'm just wondering if any of them would place John outside of England/Wales during 1881...

Is there any further information on his friendship with Whistler?

I have transcripts a couple of letters from Whistler to other people in which he mentions Mr Wimbush.
1 dated 28 Nov 1897 in which he writes "Ludovici must tell Wimbush!"
1 dated Dec 1897 in which he refers to Mr Wimbush being able to give someone's name to the recipient.
I also have a transcript of a letter from Albert Luovici (19 Apr 1898) which refers to him "calling on Wimbush".
Whether these refer to John Lewis W or Henry Bowser W (another Wimbush artist) I do not know.

WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 04 December 10 17:51 GMT (UK) »
this is the only relevant sailing :

John Winbush aged 23 Male p.o.b London
Departure:   Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland
Port of Arrival:   New York
Arrival Date:   3 Nov 1890
aboard the   Etruria
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 10:10 GMT (UK) »

It's time for this weeks Scavenger Hunt........ I'm hoping you can fill in some gaps for Sylvia.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,500331.0.html

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Barbara

As usual, this Hunt will remain open for any further information which may come in.

Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline Ken Miller

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 02 March 18 13:03 GMT (UK) »
John L Wimbush is my grandfather, William Winbush’s, brother. His parents were Edward John (b. 1823 in Warwickshire) and Sarah Winbush (b. 1827 in Bermondsey, Surrey). John was born Jan 16 1854 at Bishopsgate in the parish of St. Ethelburga where he was christened. He grew up at 58 (now 86 -94) Bishopsgate St. in the family public house the “Magpie and Punchbowl”. The hotel was destroyed by an IRA bomb in 1993. John is recorded as being an art student in the 1871 census. He was known as John Winbush in the that census and changed his surname to Wimbush sometime after that. To see some of his art just google “Artwork of John L Wimbush”. His nephew Harry Winbush (Australian architect) has a large entry in Wikipedia. I have much more genealogical information concerning John L Wimbush and his family.