Author Topic: V2 death in Dartford ? 16 March 1945  (Read 6906 times)

Offline TinaJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: V2 death in Dartford ? 16 March 1945
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 November 17 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan,
Did you ever find out the information you were looking for? My Dad and Grandparent lived at 7 Morland Ave there home was bombed, my Grandfather was hurt badly and was hospitalized the rest of
the family had small injuries but were ok, there home was badly damaged.
Are you a relative of the person who lived at 6 morland Ave. My family name is Jeffrey my grandparents name are Len and Thora they had three sons Clive, Roger and Graham. I am actually trying to find a story that was written in the local paper about my Uncle who was trapped under his crib, but having trouble finding the correct paper. Anyway I am very interested if you know of my family or if you were able to find out any more info about the bombing.
Tina

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 November 17 20:07 GMT (UK) »

I am only distantly related to the Atfields, so I don't have much more info I'm afraid.

I'll try and attach a copy of the 1939 Electoral Register which confirms that the Atfields lived at number 6 and the Jeffreys at number 7.

I've taken a while to reply as it is several years since the original post and I wanted to get reacquainted with the story and also to confirm my connection to Arthur Atfield.

I've been in contact with someone who knows more about this than I do and he (John Wells) is happy for me to quote from a short article that he wrote:

"The (death) certificate for Arthur, who died on 16th March 1945, stated that he was an electrician. This seemed a bit of unlikely career shift, but it was war time, and perhaps the country needed electricians much more than it needed postmen. The other fact to emerge from the certificate was his cause of death which was given as 'Due to war operations'. This came as an even bigger surprise. The war in Europe was about six weeks away from its end. The allied armies had already crossed the Rhine into Germany. What 'war operations' were likely to be responsible for the deaths of civilians in Dartford? The obvious conclusion seemed to be a V2 rocket. More research was needed.

The internet has a lot of references to V2 strikes, but nothing I could directly link to the date of Arthur's death, and his home address of 6 Morland Avenue, Dartford where he died. I also discovered that the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website, http://www.cwgc.org on its Debt Of Honour page has a section for civilian casualties. Looking at this, I could see our Arthur there, together with 3 other residents of Morland Avenue who died on the same day."

Hope that helps a bit.

Alan

(OK, the file size is too large to post, so you'll have to take my word for it that both the Atfields and Jeffreys were living in Morland Avenue in 1939, before the outbreak of war - so presumably they spent the whole period of WWII at those addresses in Dartford)
Harrington & Fidler (Berkshire) Mundy, Senneck & Toop/Tupp (Dorset) Peckham (Hampshire) Bayes (Lincolnshire) Boddy, Thompson, Rose, Nash & Franklin (Buckinghamshire) Allingham & Wilson (London) Brown, Woods & Atfield (Surrey) Edworthy, Ware & Haskings (Devon) Price & Thomas (Glamorgan) Davies, John & Williams (Pembrokeshire)

Offline TinaJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 November 17 04:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan , there is a lot of info out there I guess you just have to know where to look.  The names on the electoral page for 1939 list Arthur and his wife Hettie Alice , I do recall my dad mentioning the name Arthur but that is all I remember , sadly my dad has passed so I have nobody to ask about these events . I will keep searching , thanks again for the info
Tina