Author Topic: Lady Ann of Clontarf?  (Read 74934 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lady Ann of Clontarf?
« Reply #369 on: Monday 23 April 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
Interesting find MonicaL - and I'm going away for two weeks in the morning - I expect it to be solved by the time I get back!

Regards
Roger

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: Monday 23 April 18 20:44 BST (UK) »
It looks to me as if her full name is Anne Elizabeth Charlotte Nugent.As she is born in 1839 she seems too young to be the candidate of a portrait taken abroad in 1850,though she is related to the Lady Ann Daly,subject of my speculation.

Regards
Roger

Might have been sent to her in 1870.........   ;D ;D
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: Monday 23 April 18 21:26 BST (UK) »

... I expect it to be solved by the time I get back!

We can dream  ;D

Enjoy your break!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Joseph L. Oliver

• RootsChat Member
  • Pie Fixes Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: Thursday 26 April 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
Apologies for not noticing these April posts.  The RootsChat email went unnoticed until just now.  Thanks you everyone for staying with this. 

Hope spring is kicking in where ever you are.  It has been very reluctant to warm up here in Chicago. 

Regards,

Joe
Burke, Sutherland, Curtis, Cuter, Koplik

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: Thursday 26 April 18 14:34 BST (UK) »
Apologies for not noticing these April posts.  The RootsChat email went unnoticed until just now.  Thanks you everyone for staying with this. 

Hope spring is kicking in where ever you are.  It has been very reluctant to warm up here in Chicago. 

Regards,

Joe

Miserable weather here!!

Offline Greg0220

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: Sunday 24 June 18 20:51 BST (UK) »
Michael Daly of Tokay Lodge, was the son of Dennis Daly(1700-1791) and Lady Ann de Burgh(Burke).
I think Hallmark got it right.
Lynch-Cork/Ontario
Considine-Ireland/Ontario
Daly-Galway/New Brunswick
Kelly-Galway/New Brunswick
MacDonald-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Thomson-Ireland/Gaspe Que
Thompson-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Kane-Ireland/New Brunswick
McNish-Scotland/Ontario
McCulloch-Keppoch/Ontario
MacDonell-Glengarry/Ontario
Fitzgerald-Limerick/Ontario

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: Sunday 24 June 18 22:20 BST (UK) »
That is how I read it..................

Offline Greg0220

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: Monday 07 January 19 23:13 GMT (UK) »
These are the Raford Daly's. Michael Daly(d. 1808) and whose will is in this thread, was the second son, so, didn't inherit Raford. Michael owned quite a bit of land, but his principal residences were Mt. Pleasant, which is overlooking the lake in Loughrea, Galway, and Tokay Lodge, which appears to be part of Phoenix Park, Dublin, or just on the edge.

His first wife died in 1797. A year before his death, he married a Mary Kelly, and he gave her a life interest in two of his properties, Hollyhill and Ballydavid. These are both about 4 miles SE of Loughrea town. I wonder if the Kelly suing is the second wife's son or relative?

Yesterday, I found a book discussing these two properties and written in the 1850s. It stated Hollyhill was the residence of a P. Kelly, and Ballydavid was the residence of A. Gore Daly. The P.Kelly is likely a relative of the second wife. The A. Gore Daly was a shocker, because there was never any reference to such a person in my research on this family.

This led to various clues to that will hopefully move the ball forward for me and your Sutherlands.

A. Gore Daly is short for Arthur Gore Daly. So he probably went by the first name Gore. He died in 1863 at about 67 years old.

There was a marriage of a Gore Daly and a Hamilton Lamy Dec 17, 1792 in Dundee, Scotland. She was baptised May 17, 1770 in Eassie and Nevay, Scotland to John Ramsay Lamy and Agnes Hamilton. The formal family name is Ramsay L'Amy and are listed as minor gentry.

There is a death in Ballinasoe, Galway,  for perhaps this Gore Daly Sr. in 1803. I think this is a candidate for the father of Katherine Sutherland. The senior branch of the Raford Daly's where residing in Scotland at the time (Portpatrick), so maybe too many Denis's. Denis Gore Daly.

There is a Hamilton Daly baptised in Cork City in 1817 to John Daly and Ellen Sullivan.

A week before he died in 1863, A. Gore Daly converted to Catholicism. A big sardonic article in the Dublin paper on this. About 10 priests and bishops participated in the funeral.

His will's primary beneficiary was Jane Amelia Daly(wife? sister?). She died in Dublin in 1868. Born approx. 1805.  Her primary beneficiary was Ann Marie Daly.

A notice was posted in the Dublin newspaper after Arthur Gore Daly's death, stating his sister Julia, of New York City was applying to be administrator. Apparently, he had resided in the USA, but nobody had seen hide nor hair of his. He went home.

There is an Arthur Gore Daly who died in San Francisco in the early 1900s. Possibly his grandson.

In India, there was a Catherine Sutherland, wife of Sgt. John Sutherland, who died in 1820. There is a Capt. John Sutherland who died in India in 1840. There is a Catherine Sophia Sutherland who married someone in India in 1847. There are a number of other Sophia Sutherlands in India.

I descend from Daly's/Kelly's from Galway, so this lawsuit has always interested me, but we were Catholic and sea captains. But it is getting more plausible.

There is a William L'Amy Daly born 1799 in Ballinasloe , who become an assitant surgeon in the Navy and who married and stayed in South Africa.

I am looking a Timothy and a Denis. Sea captains. If they descend from Gore Daly who died in 1803, they might have had to move to the coast. Whatever happened to Hamilton L'amy Daly?

Or perhaps Michael Daly had some children by Mary Kelly in the decade after Joanna Gore's death. In which case, I may revive this lawsuit.

Anyways, why don't you post a picture of Lady Ann? We would love to see her.

Lynch-Cork/Ontario
Considine-Ireland/Ontario
Daly-Galway/New Brunswick
Kelly-Galway/New Brunswick
MacDonald-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Thomson-Ireland/Gaspe Que
Thompson-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Kane-Ireland/New Brunswick
McNish-Scotland/Ontario
McCulloch-Keppoch/Ontario
MacDonell-Glengarry/Ontario
Fitzgerald-Limerick/Ontario

Offline Joseph L. Oliver

• RootsChat Member
  • Pie Fixes Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: Sunday 27 January 19 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Well hello Greg0220:

Please excuse my late reply to your contribution.  Thank you so much for chiming in to the parentage of Jesse Sutherland.  Very curious as to what motivated a newcomer to devote thought and time to the topic.

I've attached the unframed portrait for you to see.

Happy new year to all.  Hope you are well and making progress on your own family's story.  My work keeps me from devoting any time to Lady Anne.  I will designate my work email as the default so that when there is a new post, I will get it and respond to it right away.

Thank you all for the amazing work you've done to help with Lady Anne.

Regards,

Joe

Burke, Sutherland, Curtis, Cuter, Koplik