Author Topic: Could a stint in the Boer War really fit into this man's life?  (Read 3927 times)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
Could a stint in the Boer War really fit into this man's life?
« on: Wednesday 01 December 10 17:23 GMT (UK) »
We have a story that one Walter WILLIAMS was "...in the Boer war, he had something to do with the horses, I researched this and found a reference to a soldier ( I forget what he was officially called) who was injured when two horses with guns behind them crushed his leg...that was Walter"

The Walter in question was born in Llanelly around 1869 and is in Llanelly with his parents at the 1881 census. He supposedly ran away aged 12 and joined a ship, returning to Llanelly aged 21. He is in Llanelly with his first wife and young son at the 1891 census, has a second son around 1895, loses his wife (year unknown), remarries in Pontypridd in Feb 1901, is with his wife and stepdaughter in Ton Pentre at the 1901 census, and is identified as a colliery stoker on his son's Sep 1901 birth certificate.

As far as I know (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boer_war) the Boer Wars were 1880–1881 and 1899–1902.

Given the outline of his life above, could he really have been involved in the Boer War?
And where would I look for the "...reference to a soldier..." mentioned.

TIA
Pete

(There is a vague possibility that this story might apply to a Walter THOMAS, b c.1865 Llanelly)
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Could a stint in the Boer War really fit into this man's life?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pete

About 50-60,000 men enlisted for short duration service (about 12 month) during the Boer War from early 1900. So he could have gone before or after the wedding. Unfortunately only the records of the c10% of men who joined regular units, can be easily checked on Findmypast. Researching the rest would be too difficult/expensive given the common names(s).

If you live near his home parish you should look up the local newspapers in the local record office, as the names of those serving would have been published, as would any casualties.

Ken

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 December 10 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ken,

Knowing that it is actually possible is a very big help!

Just had some more info on the story - "...he would take soldiers ... out to the field then bring the horses back and ... he stopped a cart ... with ... a cannon or something , apparently the horses had bolted and Walter took off and stopped them, getting his leg ... injured ... I dont think he ever had a limp or anything..."

Sounds like he was in some sort of support role - does that give any clues to a possible regiment?

My guess would be that he joined up after the death of his first wife, and came back in time to marry in 1901. But you mentioned that the short-duration service didn't start till 1900? Less likely (but not impossible) that he went after his 1901 marriage, since he had three more children soon after.

Given that it's such a common name, and only 10% of records being online, and having no idea of regiment (or even dates of service), this looks like it's best left for my next trip back to the UK - a few trips to TNA and some concentrated searching may strike gold!

Regarding sources at TNA, these are my first thought about the three mentioned in their guide to researching soldiers:

• Muster rolls and pay lists c.1730-1898  - these stop before the 2nd Boer War (1899-1902)?
  • Pension records 1702-1913 ? - he wouldn't be entitled to a pension would he?
  • Discharge papers 1760-1913 ? - this seems the most likely place we'd find him?

Any comments appreciated.

TIA again,
Pete

P.S. More hearsay - there's talk about a uniform "...red, with his metal? helmet with a feather on it..." that a grandson remembers playing with and seeing photos of (sadly no trace of these now). I guess that doesn't provide any real clues either?
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 December 10 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like he was in some sort of support role - does that give any clues to a possible regiment?

Could be the Army Service Corps, but their records will be in the 10% online. But you are really chasing shadows. Rather than spending 2-3 days (at least) in Kew1, you should consider employing a researcher in his home town to look at the newspapers. We they cannot find him you should really accept it did not happen.

The muster books do stop in the mid 1890s, and the last one refers to the records on Findmypast. Given the other information in civilian life I would lean towards an accident in civilian life, around the time of the Boer War, has become embellished. Especially if you do not have any photographs, buttons or medals from the period.

Note1  …you are limited to researching 21 items per day.

PS…irregular soldiers on a 12 month service were not given red tunics, nor metal helmets - only khaki and a slouch hat.

Ken

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 December 10 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Ken.

Good though the advice is, employing a researcher doesn't really suit - see my PS.

A search for Walter Williams in FMPs new Boer War 1899-1902 record set gives 130 hits. None immediately jump out at me, and no Army Service Corps. But I guess the list is a starting point for my 2011 visit to TNA.

I still have family in Llanelli, so maybe I'll check the newspapers at Llanelli library myself on my next UK visit (also the story about Walter disappearing aged 12).

Plus we have one last long-shot - there's a small off-chance that the attic of one of my dad's cousins in Llanelli may contain some stuff relating to Walter Williams. I'm keeping all fingers and toes crossed that the photo mentioned before has survived. But it'll be several months before anybody gets a chance to look though...

Looks like this is avenue of research is going to take a while!

Pete

P.S. Your point about employing a researcher is taken. However, for me (like many people) it's the research itself that's the main interest. I remember (following advice from your good self) searching through a box of soldiers attestation papers at TNA. As I put one soldier's papers aside and looked at the next, I remember my heart quickening, and my hands literally shaking as I realised that this was my Irish great-grandfathers record. That feeling is something I will never forget! Being handed a written report by a researcher just doesn't have that same frisson. I'd prefer to take a few years and do the research myself!

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 December 10 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pete

I entirely agree with you. It is also a sad refection of the poor management of the FindMyPast project by the National Archives that it is quicker to search through the 130 sets of papers than use FindMyPast's search facility.

You should also bear in mind that he may have been in the Militia. These papers will be put online by FindMyPast 'by the end of 2011', but they are currently available (in WO96) in Kew as originals. They are filed first by county, then surname. So you should look in WO96/719, and maybe ~/718 in case of misfiles. It seems FindMyPast have already scanned these boxes. so they may be bringing forward the publication date.

Ken

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 December 10 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ken,

You mentioned before that "...irregular soldiers on a 12 month service were not given red tunics..." Does 'irregular soldiers' = Militia?

Could Walter have been in the regular army and discharged due to injury (the gun-carriage story), making a complete recovery later?

Pete

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 December 10 14:34 GMT (UK) »
No Militia were part-time members of the regular army, who served 6-8 weeks a year for six years, and could be called up in the event of national emergency (such as WW1 and the Boer War). At home they wore red tunics and khaki in South Africa

Irrregular units were created from December 1899 once they realised they would need lots of mounted infantry to defeat the Boers. In this link - http://www.britishmedals.us/kevin/nominal.html - 'irregulars' were the Imperial Yeomanry and the units listed under WO126 and WO127, plus Town Guards, Australian and NZ units, and the CIV - and maybe a few more. As the 'irregulars' were paid from 5s a day, lots of men paid their own way to South Africa and enlisted in a 'local' unit.

Could Walter have been in the regular army and discharged due to injury (the gun-carriage story), making a complete recovery later?

Of course, but then his papers should be on Findmypast.

Ken

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 December 10 19:46 GMT (UK) »
There is this record
Walter  WILLIAMS
Calculated year of birth: 1869 
Parish of birth: St Pauls
 Town of birth: Llanelli
 County of birth: Glamorganshire
 Age at attestation: 20 years 1 months
 Attestation date: 21 February 1889
 Attestation corps: Royal Artillery 
 Attestation soldier number: 71052

Reference WO97 / 4179 / 97

He was discharged the same year on payment of £10

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.