Author Topic: The Children of Daniel McBride SCOTT  (Read 16977 times)

Offline TEDED

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Children of Daniel McBride SCOTT
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 02 June 11 04:06 BST (UK) »
Point taken. I'm only a novice on this family researching.  TEDED

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 02 June 11 04:31 BST (UK) »
The points that Majm is making are all very valid.  OFTEN transcription errors occur and my own thoughts are it might be for  A E SCOTT and  the G is an error  as you say you never found what happened to Alice E Scott

The cost is quite minimal  and would rule it out

You could also possibly try a transcription agent who usually charge a bit less

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 02 June 11 04:52 BST (UK) »
Point taken. I'm only a novice on this family researching.  TEDED

Hi Teded,

Well, of course, everyone starts out at the beginning, its just deciding where the beginning starts that is the hurdle ....  Don't ever apologise for being a novice .... while I am NSW centric, I readily admit to being a novice in the other former colonies in Aust  :)  :).   You are simply stepping up to the plate, and are seeking some coaching advice....  Thus I apologise for not providing sufficient quality in the advice I offered earlier.

A primary record from NSW SRO that I found "all by myself"  was a probate packet, unopened since its sealing in the 1860's.  I still recall the emotions when I realised I was looking at my Great Great Great Grandfather's documents, and the delight when I found my Great Great Grandmother's signature.  The Kingswood Archives are very well set out and the staff are very experienced.  They rely on many volunteers transcribing the indexes, and it is most likely that the index itself dates from the 1980's or later.

I am sure that Jenn would agree with me that finding primary records are where you should be concentrating, to compare your known "oral" history with the official records, which may fully support what you already know, but may also have contradictions or expansions or clues to advance further and increase the "known" and reduce the "unknown" ... Your goals should include to remove the speculation and replace it with fact, and then to share with family without causing embarassment or hurt to those that are living.

The NSW BDM official transcription agents are very reliable, and it is my understanding that they may offer services to access NSW SRO records too.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline TEDED

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 02 June 11 07:54 BST (UK) »
I've just been doing a bit of research into burials in Yorkshire where Daniel M Scott's  father (Robert Newton Scott) is buried. Then I switched to South Africa. I stumbled across a burial from St. Mary's Anglican Church at BARKLY WEST in Northern Cape Province (Barkly West is west of Kimberley). A "Daniel Scott", aged 52 (right age), died on 1st. Oct. 1908 and was buried next day (By J. Cottrell). I got onto this through the site: www.eggsa.org   What is the best way of researching this further?  TEDED

Offline TEDED

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 05 June 11 00:35 BST (UK) »
Keeping everyone up to date. My youngest sister from Canberra was in Sydney yesterday. Went out to Rookwood cemetery and after a bit of a search, found Alice's grave. Apparently, Mabel, her daughter, is with her. The grave was a bit overgrown, so my sisters done a bit of cleaning up, put some orange roses on the grave and took photos. Still waiting for replies of several emails I sent enquiring about the burial of a Daniel Scott on 2-10-1908 at Barkly West Northern Province South Africa. I'll post a photo Of Alice's grave When I get it.  TEDED

Offline TEDED

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 06 June 11 02:59 BST (UK) »
Just received the "death certificate" for Alice Helena (not Eleanor) Bassett. It states her parents correctly. It states Lily and Martha ( the ages are the wrong way around ) as only children, as it doesn't mention any of the three deceased children from the 1st. marriage (says "none deceased") and her 1st. husband as "John Scott". She supposedly married a "Jack Bassett" at Orange NSW when she was 34 yrs. old. (1899 or 1900). It gets her birthplace (Young) and place of 1st. marriage (Temora NSW) correct. I couldn't get a copy of the death certificate or Alice's headstone to upload. TEDED

Offline TEDED

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 22 July 11 00:48 BST (UK) »
I finally got the details for the Estate of A.G. SCOTT as you advised . It indeed was for an A.G Scott and not Daniel as we were hoping for. Tracking and getting a death certificate  for the 1908 period in South Africa is not a straight forward task. I've had several email replies which just lead to more email addresses. Apparently there was a big shake up of the provinces in 1994 and old records are scattered everywhere.  TEDED

Offline shakel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Friday 22 July 11 01:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Ted,
It's good to know you are still on the trail.
I also had an attempt at finding out how to get a certificate from SA - not at all successful!
Thanks for keeping us up to date.
Shakel

Offline b1gf00t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 13 July 18 06:23 BST (UK) »
I am interested in this post as I a part of the New Zealand branch of the McBride family. My great grandfather William Dues McBride was a brother of Martha McBride, married to Robert Newton Scott. Martha youngest sister also came to New Zealand. If you would like to share information I would happy to share what I have. My email address is barriemac2017@outlook.com
Regards