Author Topic: Married aged 12y??  (Read 6311 times)

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Married aged 12y??
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynne

If you put Sevington  Kent into google uk search engine,there is quiet a bit about it including a lovely old map.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

omega :)
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline lisingreece

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynne, I am researching the Bailey family are you?

Ann Mackney was the d/Richard Mackney and Bennet nee Cullen... I think.

Tell me who you are researching and we can compare notes

Lis

Bailey, Stickells,  Marshall,  Hope, Morris, Wratten, Hope,  Knowler, Lonkhurst,  Gower,  Ratcliffe, Newport,  Boulden,  Stokes,  Beverley, Law, Lushington,  Parham,  Thorpe,  Piddleden,  Swaffer, Wide, Wood,  Austen, Eastes,  Hulke,  Banes, Hadley, Denne, Mullet, Dove, Mackney,all in Kent

Offline LynneG08

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 February 11 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello, sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your post - I somehow missed the email alert.  My interest is in the Bailey family as they connect to my ancestors who were members of the Aldington Gang of smugglers (see my website: http://web.me.com/lynne_paul/Lynnes_Site/Aldington_Gang.html).  In particular:  Rhoda Bailey, who married Richard Higgins; her brothers Robert and Samuel who were both smugglers (Samuel was transported to VDL with Richards Higgins and another of my ancestors, Thomas Gilham), and their sister Elizabeth was married to the Gang's leader, George Ransley.  Would love to hear more from anyone researching this family, the Gang or this part of Kent.  Regards, Lynne

Offline lisingreece

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 February 11 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynne,
 I always thought I was connected to these Baileys and the Ransleys and have looked in the past at this site but I don't think I am closely connected, only loosely like uncles etc.

I had sent for Bailey papers form Tasmania as my grandmother told me when I was  a child that my 3xggrandfather was hanged for smuggling, well my 3x great grandad died in 1831 and have never found out anything as to how he died and it was in Bilsington.
So I don't think I can help.

I can send you an invite to my tribalpages tree if by a personal message you send me your email address although this is very much a work in progress.
happy hunting
Lis
Bailey, Stickells,  Marshall,  Hope, Morris, Wratten, Hope,  Knowler, Lonkhurst,  Gower,  Ratcliffe, Newport,  Boulden,  Stokes,  Beverley, Law, Lushington,  Parham,  Thorpe,  Piddleden,  Swaffer, Wide, Wood,  Austen, Eastes,  Hulke,  Banes, Hadley, Denne, Mullet, Dove, Mackney,all in Kent

Offline aniwaller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 January 16 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynne, I am new to this site today and researching George Ransley my GGGGrandfather, married to Elizabeth Bailey dob1786,died 30/12/1858 New Norfolk ,father Samuel Bailey I have a fairly comprehensive FT. I would like to find more information about my GGGrandfather, George Ransley,DOB 14/2/1811, Arlington, married Brigit Murrill 1/6/1831 New Norfolk. Bridget's parents are John Murrell and Mary Pickett, I think born or married 1813. Died 15/11/1891 I would like more information on Bridget as I believe they married in the Hawkesbury district which is where I live now. I would love any info you can help me with for my further research in this district.The record I have states John Murrell was a convict on "Anne".

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 January 16 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Keep in mind that not all children would have been baptised, not all baptismal records would have survived, and not everything is online .... especially in the era these events occurred. :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 January 16 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat aniwaller,

Great place for help with family history. 

I have some information about your John MURRELL on the Anne. There's variations in the spelling, but that's understandable, afterall even the Governor of NSW at the time had trouble spelling his own surname.... today we spell his surname as Macquarie.

John MERRILL trial Huntingdon, 7 March 1807, transported under sentence of Life, per Anne, arrived Sydney 26 February 1810

Feb 1811 Muster listed twice
John MERRELL, trial March 1807, 7 years, per Anne,
John MERRILL trial March 1807, 7 years, per Anne

Oct 1814 Muster
John MURRELL, per Anne, Off Stores at Windsor with T GILBERTHORP
Mary MURRELL, born NSW, wife to John MURRELL, off stores, 1 child off stores

That's as in Windsor of course one of the Macquarie towns in the Hawkesbury district of New South Wales, Australia.

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline aniwaller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Married aged 12y??Off Stores at Windsor with T GILBERTHORP
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 January 16 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you JM for another little snippet of John Murrell/Merrill. Do you know what Off Stores at Windsor with T GILBERTHORP means?  I am hoping the local group in this district may have some more information.  I know his daughter Bridget who married George Ransley & ended up in Tasmania where my father was born.  I will do some more digging and see if they were married locally. thanks again.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 January 16 07:24 GMT (UK) »
"1763 the minimum age of marriage was fixed at 16

Prior to this date, the church accepted the marriage of girls aged 12 or more and boys aged 14 or more. In addition, a dispensation on licence could be obtained from a bishop which allowed marriage at a younger age
."

I found this here http://joinermarriageindex.co.uk/history.php

Cal  :o

The age of consent for marriage at that time was generally accepted by the church as 7 years old, the age it was assumed a child had the capacity to give consent, it was commonly accepted that the marriage would not be consumated until puberty.
Puberty at that time was considered to be 12 for girls and 14 for boys.
No parental consent was required.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.