Author Topic: Place name - Kincardine parish - completed thanks  (Read 15273 times)

Offline Cinders

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Place name - Kincardine parish - completed thanks
« on: Friday 03 December 10 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Please can anyone help decipher & locate a place name

I have a copy of a bpt entry in Kincardine OPR in Sept 1805 for Mathison where a place name is not easy to read - "at Lupernich" would seem to be the best rendering

In 1851 Census, the child baptised in 1805 is in Tain parish and gives his birthplace as "Lubernich" parish of Kincardine (again, best rendering)

Is this the name of a croft or a settlement? I did wonder if it could have been mis-heard or miss-spelt or maybe a contraction of Lubachoinnich in Strath Cuileannach (just as Avoch is pronounced Och)

Many thanks

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Place name - Kincardine parish
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 December 10 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cinders

I've had a look in "Place names of Ross and Cromarty" by WJ Watson (published 1904). In the parish of Kincardine there's a place listed called Lub-conich which Watson says means "mossy bend" in Gaelic.

Strathcuillionach (which I presume is the same as Strath Cuileannach in your post) is just a few entries further on in the list so it looks like this could be the place you're looking for (unfortunately the book doesn't have any maps, so difficult to know for sure where Lub-conich is in the parish!).

Watson doesn't give any indication if Lub-conich is just a single croft or a larger settlement unfortunately, but as the entry is very brief, it suggests that it's not a big place.

Hope this helps
Lynn
Gunn, Grant, McAskill, McKenzie, McIver, McLeod (Gairloch, ROC, Scotland)
Ross, McLeod, Campbell, Graham, Gair, Bain, McCulloch (Nigg & Fearn, ROC, Scotland)
Thomson, Matheson, Paterson, Gray, Munro, Fowler, McDonald, Murray, Hossack, McKenzie (Resolis, ROC, Scotland)
McTavish, Fraser, McLellan(?) (Dores, INV, Scotland)

Offline Cinders

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Place name - Kincardine parish - Completed thanks
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help
Yes, I think that must be it
Apparentlly it is mentioned on several headstones in Croick grave yard so it would seem to be in that corner of the parish

Offline Barton_Fijian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 December 10 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chortlegirl

Would your book on Ross & Cromarty placenames also have something like "Lupenoy" near Kincardine? I am trying to interpret a parish register record from 1820.

Thanks,

Kevin
Botting, Davis, Higgins, MacLeod, Weeks

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 December 10 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kevin

Watson's book lists a few places in Kincardine parish that begin with "L" and so could be possibilities, but one of them is Lubcroy (Gaelic for hard bend, where the hard denotes stony or firm ground as opposed to bog) which allowing for spidery handwriting looks like a potential candidate for Lupenoy.

Hope this helps
Lynn
Gunn, Grant, McAskill, McKenzie, McIver, McLeod (Gairloch, ROC, Scotland)
Ross, McLeod, Campbell, Graham, Gair, Bain, McCulloch (Nigg & Fearn, ROC, Scotland)
Thomson, Matheson, Paterson, Gray, Munro, Fowler, McDonald, Murray, Hossack, McKenzie (Resolis, ROC, Scotland)
McTavish, Fraser, McLellan(?) (Dores, INV, Scotland)

Offline Barton_Fijian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 January 11 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lynn

Thanks for responding so quickly. This is the first time I've used Rootschat so I'm impressed!

I think the place name may be Lubcroy. The "b" extends to well below the word and it could simply be a blot on the paper - difficult to tell. Your book appears to be very comprehensive! Useful for someone like me who is having a lot of difficulty trying to work out where all the boundaries between the districts of Ross & Cromarty (and Sutherland) fall.

Happy New Year to you.

Kevin

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 January 11 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I forwarded your thread to my father as he was born and brought up in this area...this is what he said...

"this place would be as suggested Lubachoinnich (or variation of this).  It's up the Strath from Croick farm about 3 to 4 miles.  There is one shepherds house there (which I actually spent hols in with a school pal in the late fifties).  There's evidence of many old dwellings in this strath (Strath Cuileannach) but the land was cleared for sheep once upon a time and the people evicted.

There are still some Mathesons in the locality who may be descendents of the one you mention."

Hope that helps

Anna

Offline Barton_Fijian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 January 11 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks also to you, Anna.

I am looking at the birth of a Murdoch Macleod on 10 January 1820, son of Murdoch and Katharine MacLeod and registered at Kincardine. I think (based on Lynn's advice) that the birth took place at Lubcroy. However I am still trying to work out what all the abbreviations from the parish registers of those times actually mean.

With a few tenuous links I think Murdoch is an ancestor of my mother-in-law (who lives in South Wales). She turns 80 next year, and knows little about her mother's background so I am trying to fill in the gaps as a birthday present ot her.

Happy New Year also to you,

Kevin

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 January 11 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Could this be the family you are looking for?

1841 Census Alltnacraig, Kincardine

Murdoch Mcleod   45
Cathrine Mcleod   40
William Mcleod           20  (should be 22?)
Angus Mcleod           15
Murdoch Mcleod   14  (should be 20?)
Alexr Mcleod           12  (should be 14?)
Harriet Mcleod           10
Ann Mcleod             8
Rodrick Mcleod             5
Duncan Mcleod             2

The above entries correspond with data from the mormons website...

Children of Murdoch and Catherine Macleod...
              ---- Alexr Macleod b 1826
              ---- William Macleod b 1818
              ---- Anne Macleod b 1832
              ---- Alexr Macleod b 1819
              ---- Murdoch Macleod b 1820

Hope that the above may be helpful,

Regards,

Ana