Author Topic: Place name - Kincardine parish - completed thanks  (Read 15221 times)

Offline Barton_Fijian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Place name - Kincardine parish
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 January 11 11:46 GMT (UK) »
I have wondered whether this was the same family. There seem to be quite a few McLeod families in the area and, with Murdoch Junior's age being so far out, I was still hesitating as to whether the family was correct.

My starting point was the 1861 census where Murdoch Junior's family,living in Craggie in Kincardine was:

Murdock (Age 41)
Anne (37)
Isabella (12)
Cathrine (11)
Margaret (9)
William (8)
Christina (6)
Johanna (4)
Mary (1)
Hector (4M)

Anne was born in Stornoway and, working back to the 1851 census, my guess is that Murdock Junior was in the following household in Fyrish, Alness, ROC:

Donald Munro (50)
Margret Stewart (34)
Murdoch McLeod (31)
Ann Morrison (28)
Catharine McLeod (1)
Margret Stewart (7)

Not sure where Isabella has got to, but it is possible her age in the 1861 census is wrong or she was staying with relatives at the time. I haven't been able to find her yet (and she, I think, is the ancestor of my mother-in-law).

If there are no other McLeods around Kincardine in 1841 then I think you are correct and the family you cite is the same on - strange that Mudoch Junior's age is so far out.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Kevin

Botting, Davis, Higgins, MacLeod, Weeks

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 January 11 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kevin,

Do you have a death certificate for Murdoch Mcleod?  And where did the family move to?

It certainly does look as though the Murdoch from Craggie is the son of the Murdoch & Catherine who resided at Aultnacealg (not Alltnacraig as I had thought).  A house still stands in that area, near to the Aultnacealgach Hotel.  Aultnacealg (The Burn of Deceit) lies by the boundary of Kincardine and Assynt.  Loubcroy is a little further to the east, and I think there are two houses there still - such a remote area.

There is also still a lovely old cottage at Craggie, which is used as a holiday cottage for trout fishers and walkers mostly.

The order of Murdoch and Catherine's children as listed on the 1841 would seem to be correct, just some of  the ages out, so I wouldnt discount it.

Kind regards,

Ana

Offline Barton_Fijian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 January 11 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ana

I don't yet have the death certificate for Murdoch. However I believe he died between 1865/66 and 1871.

In 1871 the family were living in Clay of Allan, Fearn, ROC and there had been two new additions - Angus (aged 8 in 1871) and Murdoch (5). Since the head of the household is now Ann, this sets the boundaries for Murdoch's probable date of death .

Frustratingly for me, Isabella is not living with the family in 1871. As I also cannot find details of her birth the only record I have of her early years is the 1861 census.

I cannot find the family as a unit at all in the 1881 census so my guess is that Ann died in those 10 years, and the family scattered through work or marriage. Without going into a long story, my trace back to the family was through Margaret, or Maggie, and I cannot find for certain either her or Isabella (or Isabella's first illegitimate child who was born around 1875) in the 1881 census so I'm not sure what happened to any of the children after 1871.

I guess from your comments that you either live, or were brought up, in this part of Scotland. I have never visited it myself - the closest being a holiday South of Inverness and a weekend spent in Thurso (which is where my mother-in-law thought her mother came from). She doesn't yet know that I now think her roots are further South, and maybe this will provide an excuse to visit.

Thanks again for your interest.

Kevin

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 January 11 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kevin,

I think this is Isabella with her grandparents in 1851...

1851 - Aultnacealg, Kincardine

Murdoch Macleod 60
Catherine Macleod 53
Anne Macleod 17
Roderick Macleod 15
Duncan Macleod 11
Isabella Macleod 2 (granddaughter) b Eddrachillis

And this could be her in 1871 as a servant...

1871 - Balnabruich, Kincardine

Robert Munro 54
Christina Munro 45
Isabella Mclead 20 Gen. Servant b. Eddrachillis
James Black 14

What were the names of Isabella's illeg. children, do you know where they were born?

I dont see any obvious death certificates for Murdoch or Ann so far.

There's a good chance there may be living rellies of this family still in the area.

Yes I was brought up around this area, it is beautiful and very quiet...very little going on these days!

Hope I can help further,

Ana

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Inchnadamph Cemetery

Erected in loving memory of his parents by Duncan McLeod, Loch Assynt. Murdo McLeod. Aultanacealgach who departed this life on 25th April 1855 aged 75 years and Catherine McLeod who died 20th March 18?? aged 89 years.

Offline Barton_Fijian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ana

Thanks for the further information.

The 1891 census has Isabella listed as Bella McLeod living at 3 Dunrobin Street, Tain with three daughters: Bella McLeod 15, Lillie Cormack 6 and Jemiana 2 months - all born in Tain.

I haven't been able to trace anything further about Bella junior. However Lillie was born Lily McLeod in King Street, Tain on 22 May 1885 and later died on 14 June 1901 in Invergordon.

Jemiana was born Jemima (or, I think, Jemina) Fraser McLeod in Dunrobin Street on 13 February 1891 and I suspect is my mother-in-law's mother. Bella (mother) and Jemina were living in Hugh Miller Street in Invergordon when the 1901 census was taken. I think Lily was a servant with the Holmes family in Creich, Bonar in Sutherland.

The 1871 census has several Isabella M(a)cLeods of about the right age working for different families, which is why I'm unsure which is the right one. The info. you provide would seem, though, to have the right place of birth.

That's about the extent of my information .... and there's a fair amount of guesswork with some of these links. However the suggested headstone from "ghostwhisperer" seems to relate to the McLeod family we have been corresponding about.

Best wishes,

Kevin

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kevin,

Found a death cert for Isabella McLeod in 1911 at  Tain.  Parents Murdo McLeod & Ann (Morrison) McLeod.

The death was registered by Ina Macleod, daughter (----Jemina?).

There seems to be a lot of Ancestry members researching children of Murdo and Anne, but the wires are getting crossed as there was another Murdo McLeod and Ann Morrison having a family around the same time as the Kincardine lot.

Heres a couple of pics of the cottage at Craggie...very cute wee place...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/heathersmemories/2875824443/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/heathersmemories/3445796176/

Kind regards,

Ana

Offline Barton_Fijian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 January 11 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ana

Craggie looks like a lovely place, but I'm not sure I would want to live there through the sort of winter we are having!

Where did you find the death certificate for Isabella? I used Scotlands People to obtain a list of deaths for *bella M*cLeod between 1901 and 1924 for all Scotland, and nothing came up on the list for any deaths in Tain. Have they not recorded the name correctly? What was Isabella's age recorded as when she died?

Anyway, would it be possible to attach a copy? If not, I'll try Scotland's People again to see if I can find it using other variations.

From what you say I hope that, moving backwards from Isabella, I have the correct Murdo & Ann. I think I have in that the records I have looked for from both Isabella and Margaret go back to them.

If I can ever help you with your researches (less likely, but you never know) then let me know.

Have a good day,

Kevin

Offline Barton_Fijian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 06 January 11 09:06 GMT (UK) »
..... what I should also have said is the fact that, on the death certificate, the daughter put her name as "Ina" rather than Jemina (or variations) suggest that she is indeed my mother-in-law's mother. Her name was Ina Fraser MacLeod on her marriage certificate.

Kevin