Author Topic: Brennan/Brannan/Brannon in Co Meath  (Read 21031 times)

Offline patrickcb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brennan/Brannan/Brannon in Co Meath
« on: Saturday 04 December 10 00:50 GMT (UK) »
For many years I have been trying to locate where in Ireland my great-great-grandfather came from.  He was born about 1841 and in English censuses he is variously called "William Brennan", "William Brannan" or "William Brannon".  In almost every census he puts his place of birth as "Co. Meath, Ireland".

His parentage is slightly problematic.  On his wedding certificate of 1864 (Leeds, Yorkshire) his father is described as "Thomas Brannan, gardener".  For 20 or so years I tried to trace this Thomas Brannan.  Then by chance I was in Leeds and decided to visit the Diocesan Records . The original marriage records from St Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, Quarry Hill, show his parents as "William and Mary Brannan"!!!

So if anyone has come across any Brennans or Brannans or Brennans in Co. Meath - and particularly a William Brannan son of William and Mary Brannan - please let me know.

Patrick Cracroft-Brennan

Interested in the Irish Brennans, and the English Butler, Cracroft and Southwick families.

Editor of "Cracroft's Peerage", an online peerage reference work.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Brennan/Brannan/Brannon in Co Meath
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 December 10 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately William's birth is well before the start of civil registration in Ireland so you will need to research parish records. To start this you really need a location within the county - ideally a parish, especially with a common surname like Brennan.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

The Irish Times has RC Parish maps that might be useful. The show the parish boundaries and when clicked show details on the parish, such as dates included in the registers and the location(s) of research records.

see : RC Parishes Co. Meath

Some RC records for the county are available on the pay website of the Irish Family History Foundation at : www.rootsireland.ie  (not not all records survive from this time and all parishes may not be included on this website)

Shane

p.s.
thanks for the mention of TNG 8 on your website... I might give that a go, looks very interesting
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline patrickcb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 December 10 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying, Shane.

The big problem, of course, is that we are just not sure where William was born - or even in which county!  The English census returns say "Co. Meath, Ireland", my late father always swore blind we came from Co. Kilkenny, and my cousin says his father said we come from Co. Roscommon.  None of this is very helpful!!!

William died in 1920.  I don't think they even keep NI or state pension records going back that far.

Would strongly recommend TNG!!

Patrick
Interested in the Irish Brennans, and the English Butler, Cracroft and Southwick families.

Offline GerryS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 December 10 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patrick,
Its worth checking Rootsireland.ie. After registering they charge you to view each record 5 Euro but you can search and restrict the search to Meath. For William Brennan for Meath, born in 1841 +/- 5 years, 5 returns come back. Only one for father Thomas and none for father William. Now it could be that the name of the father isn't recorded but I think it is worth looking into. You could play with variations of the name but remember it is a good chance they were illiterate at that time so it is dependant on how the register heard it.
Good luck
Gerry
Smyth, Markey, Farrell & McNamee Meath
Newton, Beck, Tebbs & Watts Leicestershire
Hindley & Valentine Lancashire
GÜVENÇ, ÜNDEŞ, AKGÜL & TAŞ Istanbul Turkey

Offline brennan1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 December 10 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patrick
There are records of  Brennans (Richard marriage) in Navan 1877 and in Johnston (near Navan)  - Baptism of Patrick 1864, John 1866, Catherine 1868, Bridget 1870, Margaret 1872. Parents are John and Bridget (nee ? Fox) Brennan. I have been researching this family for some time now, but having some difficulty tying them all together. It is not a particularly common name in Meath, much more likely to find the name in Roscommon and very common in Kilkenny. Have not seen a William on any of the records so far
Regards Brennan1

Offline patrickcb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 December 10 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.

Interestingly, nowadays we use "Brennan" but my great-great-grandfather mostly used "Brannan" or once or twice "Brannon".

William's wife was Bridget Roan or Rowan.  She was born in "Athlone, Co Roscommon" according to the English census records.  Her parents were William Roan/Rowan and Ann Highgo (?sic)  - her mother's odd maiden name been taken from the birth certificates of her siblings who were born in England.

Regards

Patrick

Offline brennan1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 December 10 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patrick
In contrast, both my father and grandfather insisted that the name Brennan was both written and prounced correctly and became annoyed if called Brannen/Brannon. However, on many of the certificatesof baptism in particular, the name is written as Brennan/ Brannon/ Brannen and even Brenen. I suppose that some of those recording these events just spelled it as it sounded.

Offline patrickcb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 December 10 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes

Quite understandable, but very annoying for modern day researchers!!

Patrick

Offline Scotterill141

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 October 12 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Patrick

Your post came up in an email I received from Mocavo.

There is no year on your post [December ???]

My Grandmother was Mary Brannan/Brennan etc.  Not your Mary though - she married
William Ryan at St Patricks Church in the 21st November 1891. Her Father was Michael Brannan. Mary lived in York Court which is not far from St Patricks Church and Michael lived in Helen's Court which was the next street to York Court.

Mary had two sisters Alice, Agnes Annie and a brother Thomas. The paperwork I have found simply states that Mary's father came from Ireland. Her mother Sebina [nee Ryan] is listed as Westmeath and Wicklow?

On their marriage certificate the witnesses are Alice Brannan and William Roan which is a bit of a coincidence.

I  don't think that this is your immediate family but I guess that they could have cousins.

Mick