Author Topic: Frank BIRKINS who was he?  (Read 2402 times)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Frank BIRKINS who was he?
« on: Tuesday 12 April 05 21:38 BST (UK) »
Who was Frank Birkins?   All I know of him is that he was a coachman in the Aberystwyth area around 1880.   A most elusive character who married Mary Jane Renfrey in Aber first quarter of 1882 and was dead before 1901.   He seems to appear briefly and then disappear over Eisteddfa!   Any info most welcome.
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frank BIRKINS who was he?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 June 05 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

Are you suggesting that Frank May may not have been from the area?  Maybe a posting in Wales General ot even The common Room would give your request a wider audience?

Do you have him on any census returns? Do you have his marriage cert and hence his father's details?

I hope we can help you with this soon

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 June 05 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,
Frank Birkins appeared in freeBMD recently, but his wife, Mary Jane, does not yet appear on the page (1st quarter 1882 Aber) so I've delayed obtaining a certificate.   I believe he does not come from Aber and as far as I can see does not appear in a census.   His daughter's (born 1881) marriage cert in 1901 in Aber shows him as a deceased coachman.   There is some evidence Frank and Mary Jane moved to Stoke, but nothing concrete.    As you suggest a cert would establish his father's name. He seems something of an enigma.
Cheers Dave 
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 June 05 18:54 BST (UK) »
I think you can suggest a wife's name and get a refund from the register office if there is no match.  The GRO does a partial refund under the same circumstances.

I take it you don't have him in 1891 either?

Maybe if you post his children's names it would help find him and then we could work backward?

Do you have any of their birth certs?

I have looked for ages today and can't find him without further info - really sorry.

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 June 05 21:04 BST (UK) »
I have the birth cert of one child, born Amelia Jane Renfrey (1881 census), daughter of Mary Jane Renfrey (not Jane as in the census - bit of a cover up job).   She changes her name to Amelia Birkins when Mary Jane marries her ?father? the eponymous Frank, in 1882.   Amelia appears as Amelia Birkins on her marriage cert in 1901.   Took some sorting out with a lot of help and laughs from a delightful lady at the Aber Registry Office.   I'll have a go at them again and create some more mirth with Frank's marriage cert.   Thanks again and hwyl fawr.
Dave