Author Topic: Horans of Castletownarra,Killoran,Nenagh  (Read 3309 times)

Offline CAPTAIN BLOOD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Horans of Castletownarra,Killoran,Nenagh
« on: Sunday 05 December 10 03:24 GMT (UK) »
Looking for info on Patrick Horan and his wife Mary Hickey married 1825.Both had died by 1856.Their children were Martin,Ellen,Thomas,James,Catherine and Bridget.Thomas married Alice Kennedy in 1850 and they came to Australia in 1856.Alice's parents were Rodger Kennedy and Bridget Keogh.Many thanks for any info as am on the other side of the world.I think Patrick may have had a brother named William who stayed in Ireland-however some of his children arrived in Australia as well.Many thanks for any help :D

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Horans of Castletownarra,Killoran,Nenagh
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 January 11 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Full civil registration started in Ireland in 1864, so you will need to check what parish records are available for the areas you mentioned. Do you know what religion the family were ?

If they were Catholic you can check details of the various parishes on the Irish Times website at : RC Parish Maps & Details

Some Co. Tipperary parish records (but note these do not include all of the county) are available on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at : http://www.rootsireland.ie/

see :  Introduction to Irish Records

As far as I can see Castletownarra    is a civil parish near to the town of Nenagh, and Killoran is a townland within that parish.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline stonepegger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 February 11 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi "Neighbor", My people were out of Killoran as well(Minogues).  Left a few years earlier than yours to work the slate quarries of Vermont USA with many others from the Castletownarra parish Many of the Vermont families had cousins in Australia.
Regards,
Peter

Offline babs7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 February 18 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Looking for info on Patrick Horan and his wife Mary Hickey married 1825.Both had died by 1856.Their children were Martin,Ellen,Thomas,James,Catherine and Bridget.Thomas married Alice Kennedy in 1850 and they came to Australia in 1856.Alice's parents were Rodger Kennedy and Bridget Keogh.Many thanks for any info as am on the other side of the world.I think Patrick may have had a brother named William who stayed in Ireland-however some of his children arrived in Australia as well.Many thanks for any help :D
Hi saw your post I am looking for Thomas Horan he was my ggrandfather I don't know where they came from before South Australia, and I don't know his wife's name, his son John married married Johanna Mullally in 1868, in Mt Gambier South Australia.  So I don't know much, other John arrived before 1868, I don't know if his father stayed in Australia. Sorry but it all I have Barb

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 February 18 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
This list may give a bit more info for you.
Maggsie

HORAN   James      1854   20   Castletown   Patrick/mary   both dead   Sis=Ellen Horan with Owen Boyle,   Goulbourn.   Switzerland

HORAN   Thomas      1856   26   Castletown ,   Killoran. Patrick / Mary - dead .   {husband of Alice ,29.}   Bro = James at Goulbourn   Ship =   Vocalist

HORAN   Alice      1856   29   Castletown ,Kil   loran. Roger/Bridget KENNEDY   Mother at Killoran.{w/o Th   omas,26 + Pat , 4  &  Roger  , 2.}   Ship =   Vocalist
HORAN   Martin      1856   28   Castletown   Patrick / Mary   both dead   Bro = James H., Goulbourn   Ship =   Vocalist

HORAN   William      1856   18   Castletown   James / Mary - F ather  dead ,   Mother at Killoran   Cous = James H., Goulbourn   Ship =   Vocalist

Offline babs7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie
I think I have found John in Westmeath Ireland son of Thomas & Ann Mee. born in 1841 this fits with my John, I think his parents went to America, but for some reason John came to Australia before 1868 when he married Johanna Mullaley in Mount Gambier South Australia.

Thank you
 Barbara