Author Topic: Surgeon John CATES  (Read 22695 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surgeon John CATES
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Young Charles had a fairly  long life. :)

Here is his death

Reg.14743 In 1978  CATES  CHARLES AUGUSTUS
Father CHARLES
MotherSARAH

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Well found Sue, yes, so sad  :(

The pilot search has indexed the following christenings at St Lawrence C of E, Sydney (this would be the temporary building for Christ Church St Laurence/Lawrence, the building was completed in around 1845) :

John and Elizabeth Cates listed as parents :
George Collier Cates b 31 Oct 1840, ch 20 May 1842
Susan Kain Cates b 18 Mar 1840 1844 , ch same day EDIT TO NOTE JM corrected year to read 1844, and confirm that pilot site has birth date and christening date separately listed and both read 18 Mar 1844 ... perhaps need to check when was LENT in 1844, as from memory baptisms rarely conducted at St L's during lent ... so perhaps "Mar" could be "May" for baptism
Humphrey Gwynne Cates b 29 Aug 1839 ch 27 Oct 1839

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

http://www.ccsl.org.au/  (I found their archivist very helpful when I contacted him quite a number of years ago when seeking to confirm various of my forebears details who were pew holders )
Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline TerryD

• RootsChat Member
  • Dadds finding Dads
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Sue and JM you are stars.

Info beyond my wildest dreams.

Sue - Father looking after peoples bodies and then son keeping their whites white.
I had the birth of the Girl in 1889 but cant find the birth of the son which from your info should have been in 1890. Am I asuming right ?

JM -/Sue Re Humphrey , I assumed that he was born in 1838 but this was the first time they had to register him and the registration was made after they arrived in 1839. Is this possible ?
 As JM says, if the registration was actually made in 1838 they couldnt have sailed in on the Melissa in 1839

Oh dear confusion reigns    

Many thanks Terry
Looking for Dadds, Wheeler, Seymour, Hammond & Reynolds to name but a few.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terry,

Civil registrations commenced in NSW in 1856, so the info on NSW BDM pre 1856 is baptisms, burials and weddings from parish records forwarded to NSW BDM after that and not all records were forwarded, in fact many were not.  From personal experience I know of several PRs from St Laurence that are NOT on the online index for NSW BDM.  These were events that occurred in my family tree in 1840's and 1850's ... the PRs are found on film at the NSW State Library.  NSW BDM records were updated in 1980's when they converted over to computers using EDP cards so some cards were wrongly keyed, some cards were damaged etc and of course some PRs were not forwarded back in the late 1850's. 

Perhaps Humphrey's online index showing 1838 has a typo in that year  :-\ if you are sure they arrived on the Melissa ... 

I'll be back shortly, off to see if I can find the Melissa's arrival  ;) in the newspapers

EDIT TO ADD Wish there was a smiley who had feet and could stamp them right now .... NO sightings for the Melissa as a sailing ship to NSW in 1830's  at the newspaper site ....  :D

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline TerryD

• RootsChat Member
  • Dadds finding Dads
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue and JM

Its 1am here in England and I am just about to go to bed but cant thanks to your info coming in thick and fast. Thanks again.
Can I just say ARGHHH LOL  :D :o

It now seems Humphrey was born in 1839 not 1838 and was not one of the 3 who were on board the Melissa, do you agree ?

I had from uk 1861 census that the girl was Susan K born 1844 in NSW which seems to be born out by sue's first post although says Susan E but now i have record from JM saying Susan K born March 1840  and christened same day.
Is this right or a misprint? Or is the confusion to do with JM's last post

Sorry to be a whinging pom LOL but loving all of this

Terry
Looking for Dadds, Wheeler, Seymour, Hammond & Reynolds to name but a few.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terry,

I had the birth of the Girl in 1889 but cant find the birth of the son which from your info should have been in 1890. Am I asuming right ?TERRY

I am not able to locate the birth of CHARLES AUGUSTUS in NSW or VICTORIA .

His death (above) at least confirms he was the child of Charles C and Sarah :)

Sue

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terry,

I gave the link to the pilot site, I'm sure it has Susan Kain Cates born and baptised on the same day on that index !  It's an index, so it could have transcriber error....

JM

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Capital K and capital E would look confusable in the old script ;)

Sue

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I have edited my reply #19 to show a) my own typo .... should be 1844, not 1840 and b) to suggest a speculative reason for considering there's possible transcriber typo between "Mar" and "May" ... but that's really only speculation without checking the PR and I'm not Sydney based, so it will be months and months before I get to NSW State Library to look up their films ...   Terry, if I were you, I would be emailing Christ Church and asking them to forward your enquiry to their archivist (a volunteer, so may take some time to get a reply at this time of the year many families in Australia are planning for annual holidays.  Our Long School Holidays are from mid Dec to late Jan/early Feb)

Agree Sue,  "K" and "E" can be confusing in old scripts ...

Cheers,  JM