Author Topic: extremely confused and stuck  (Read 13466 times)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: extremely confused and stuck
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 December 10 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Try contacting the local library. I'd be surprised if they didn't have the newspapers on microfiche & usually they are willing to do a lookup for you, especially if you have an actual date to work from!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 December 10 14:47 GMT (UK) »
This is a useful website;
http://scottishnewspapers.com/
flst :)
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 December 10 19:43 GMT (UK) »
It seems that a fair few children from Glasgow were 'boarded out' to people on Tiree - that might explain Sarah MacDonald as 'guardian' of George - he must have been quite young when he joined the merchant navy.

An article I found about it here:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/orphan-of-the-lonely-island-1.468222

Might be worth contacting the local history centre - on that site I did find a picture of the 7 (I think) MacDonald sisters, one of which was a Sarah.  Apparently the oldest 6 went to Glasgow to earn money to support the family

www.aniodhlann.org.uk

Oh, almost forgot, there is also a passenger listing for George

George Miller, age 20, birthdate 8 Aug 1935    
arrived 22 Nov 1955 in Southampton
from New York
on Queen Mary - a Cunard Ship which I think the Port Huon also was

address given in the log matches the one in Balemartine, on your other post.

ec

Offline ails81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 December 10 20:19 GMT (UK) »
ec - thats fabulous thank you for that info!  I will definitely follow that up.
where did you find the passenger information for george?  thats really useful thanks so much  :)
McIntyre and MacInnes, Argyll (mostly Glencoe, Ballachulish, Oban)
McGillivray, Robertson - Sleat, Skye
Sandilands, McNaughton - Abernethy, Perthshire
McCartney - Glasgow, Northern Ireland
Rafferty - Northern Ireland
Doig - Fife

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 December 10 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi - passenger list is on ancestry - dob as you can see is slightly different from the one you gave earlier.

Thinking about it a bit more, the 'boarding out' might be what was meant by 'adopted', although perhaps the other way round to what we were thinking.

I also think its a bit odd that they married in 1913 and then had the two boys so late - Theresa's dob seems to indicate that she would have been over 40 with the youngest (Thomas) birth and well over when George was born - something not quite right there......

ec

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 December 10 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Is there any information for when he left the UK and arrived in New York?

Offline ails81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 December 10 15:03 GMT (UK) »
hi again
Im glad its not just me that thinks there is something strange going on!  Obviously Theresa died in 1950 and George would only have been 15 so Im guessing perhaps Albert couldnt look after them and they for some reason went to live in Tiree with this Sarah McDonald.  But thats just speculation.  The passenger record is definitely him as you say it gives the same address as his merchant records.  Im not too worried about the difference in dob, I guess mistakes happen.  Georges birth cert definitely lists Theresa and Albert as the parents so I dont know if she was just an older mother, however unusual.

I have got  a list from Georges records of the ships he served on: Capt Cook, Ardchattan, Lairds Moor, Tourmaline, Dunelmia, Pinewood and Karnak between 1953 and 1954.  And of course Port Huon where he died.  It also states he trained  at Leith Nautical College so might have to investigate that.

Thomas's records states he served on: Sherwood and Lochness.

Although Thomas's records do list his address as Sunnyside, Balemartine, Tiree as well its odd as he is listed as being born in Glasgow and that he trained at the Firemens Training School in Liverpool.  I know its possible thats just where he had to go if thats what he wanted to do but its all too bitty for my satisfaction!  >:(

Plus the photos of them on their records they dont look at all alike, which I know doesnt mean anything but it doesnt sit well with me.  Thomas's records are much less complete as well which makes me suspicious. 
Doig - Fife

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 December 10 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I'm guessing that if they were boarded out to Tiree it was when they were much younger - while Theresa was still alive.  ( And that might be why there is a bit of 'secrecy'.) By the age of 15 they would have been expected to be working and not need looking after.

Not too familiar with merchant navy records - where/how did you get them?  Are you sure you have all of Thomas records.  Its quite a common name- perhaps there is an additional bundle?  I know I've experienced that with army records but that is WW1

ec

Offline ails81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 19 December 10 16:17 GMT (UK) »
thanks ec, I got the merchant records from the national archives, they are a real struggle to search if you ask me!! It took me forever and even when I go back in  now I cant remember how I found them!!  I will have another look and see if I can find any more but dont hold out much hope. 
to be honest im starting to give up hope on these 2!  :-\

I have emailed the tiree historical people to see if they know anything so fingers crossed
Doig - Fife