Author Topic: Shipwreck Passenger  (Read 6265 times)

Offline JackieQLD-au

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shipwreck Passenger
« on: Wednesday 08 December 10 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I've got a bit of a puzzle which I'm trying to solve but have extremely little information despite several web pages about the shipwreck and passengers.

On 14th July 1866 the ship "Netherby" was wrecked off the coast of King Island, near Tasmania.  Amazingly, all passengers survived.

One of the passengers was:
John Goldsworthy, age 21.

Unfortunately the passenger list has no more information apart from that.

The Netherby left London docks on 1st April and anchored at Gravesend on the same day.  On the 3rd, she proceeded to Plymouth arriving on 6th where she called for some Saloon Passengers.  Then it was off to Australia.

According to the Times Newspaper report, John Goldsworthy was a steerage passenger.  He was one of 400+ passengers who the Queensland Government paid to come to Brisbane under the Land-order System.

The passengers made their way to Victoria when rescued.  The Immigration Index for Victoria confirms this.  However, the Queensland Immigration Index states that the passengers went on to Brisbane as planned aboard the ship "City of Melbourne" arriving on 6th August 1966.

This isn't accurate as many of the passengers didn't complete their voyage to Brisbane.

My puzzle is that there are too many John GOLDSWORTHY's in QLD and in VIC to definitely say that one of them is him.
Then again, maybe he didn't even stay in either place and ended up in NSW or SA or even went back to UK.

One would think that there would be records regarding the Land-order system.  I can't see the Government paying for workers and families to come out here and end up with all Carpenters and no Blacksmiths or whatever.

I am hoping someone can help me solve this puzzle.  I have no idea what John's occupation was, where in England he was from nor his parent's names.

I do have one John Goldsworthy in my tree who fits in age wise but I have no idea if this is the same person.

Hoping for some positive responses.

Jackie
GOLDSWORTHY / TREMAYNE & variations / UREN & variations / BOWDEN  / SIRL in Cornwall
HOOPER in London
FRIEZER / FRIESER in England, Indonesia and Netherlands
TWIST in Lancashire
SEARLE in Dorset
JAMIESON / RENNIE or RANIE / EDMONDSON / CAMERON in Scotland
DOWNING / McKEOWN / MILLS / HANES and WYLIE in Ireland
McKEOWN in NY and Boston / RAPSEY in New Zealand
and many many more.  These are just the main ones

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shipwreck Passenger
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jackie

Just wondering what information you already have about your John GOLDSWORTHY?   I am assuming you are trying to match him with this passenger.  If you could give us a bit more about the John in your tree we may be able to find some connection - or some other information which may help.

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shipwreck Passenger - to Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 December 10 00:19 GMT (UK) »

Hello Jackie
                       I think the City of Melbourne left for Brisbane with 240 passengers, 150 remaining in Melbourne and no doubt limited by the carrying capacity of the ship, with a later departure to account for the rest. There is information in the Launceston Examiner 6 August 1866. Probably some did stay in Victoria. As assisted passengers I do not know what contractural obligation they would have to the Queensland government.
                       And, yes, information you have of John Woldsworthy subsequent to this time will be useful to locating him.

Wivenhoe

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shipwreck Passenger - correction
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 December 10 00:30 GMT (UK) »

Hello Jackie
                        Just to clarify - the newspaper article does not account for a later voyage - that was me think out loud - I should have put a ? after it.

Wivenhoe

Offline JackieQLD-au

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 December 10 02:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judb,

I have over 900 Goldsworthy's in my tree and quite a few of them have the name John.

However, only was was b. 1845 (which matches the one on the Netherby).

My John Goldsworthy was the son of Ralph G'W and Ann Boucher.
He was the 2nd of 5 children born to these parents.

William Richard b. 1844
John b. 1845
Alice Ann b. 1852
Richard J. b. 1856
Joseph b. 1857

I have no other details on my John.

Thank you

Jackie
GOLDSWORTHY / TREMAYNE & variations / UREN & variations / BOWDEN  / SIRL in Cornwall
HOOPER in London
TWIST in Lancashire
SEARLE in Dorset

Offline JackieQLD-au

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 December 10 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe,

My cousin lives on King Island and is part of the historical society.

There is a Netherby reunion of descendants in 2016.

We are both interested to see if our John Goldsworthy is a descendant but my cousin also would like to find his descendants even if he isn't ours.

Jackie
HOOPER in London
TWIST in Lancashire
SEARLE in Dorset

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 December 10 03:07 GMT (UK) »
I am assuming your John Goldsworthy,  is the one listed in the census of 1851, living and born in Breage, Cornwall with parents Ralph and Ann, and brother William, 7?

John's age is not very clear on the census image - could be 7, could be 1 or even 5/ (indicating 5 months) - very unclear!

I cannot see him at all in 1861 - Ralph and Ann are there (Breage) with children William R age 17 and Richard J aged 6.

IGI has only two baptisms shown for parents Ralph and Ann GOLDSWORTHY in Cornwall:

JOHN GOLDSWORTHY, baptised 05 NOV 1849, Breage, Cornwall, England

ALICE ANN GOLDSWORTHY, baptised 26 JUL 1852, Breage, Cornwall, England

Thus, I am wondering if John, son of Ralph and Ann may have been born abt 1848/9- given also that IGI shows the marriage of Ralph and Ann as 22 Jul 1848.  I'm wondering if William was an earlier child of one of them?

Free BMD shows this birth:
Jun qr, 1845
BOUCHER  William, reg  Helston, Vol 9 page 107    (Helston reg district includes Breage)

No William GOLDSWORTHYs registered in Cornwall in that time, thus it would seem that William was born to Ann - Ralph could still have been his father.

Anyhow none of this helps find John GOLDSWORTHY at all, although it would seem there is a possibility of a later birthdate than the one given.  Do you think any others of the family may have emigrated?  Thinking that if they did there may be a connection there.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JackieQLD-au

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 December 10 03:35 GMT (UK) »
oops sorry judb, yes....Cornwall.

Jackie
HOOPER in London
TWIST in Lancashire
SEARLE in Dorset

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 December 10 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jackie,

The Breage baptisms of the Goldsworthy children are available on Althea's site

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~althea/

William Ralphe BOWCHER was batised 8 Sep 1844 Mawgan in Menage mother Ann BOWCHER

William Ralph Goldsworthy BOWCHER was born Mar 1/4 1844 Helston 9 1_3 (maybe a 3 or a 5)

Grade where Ann was from and Mawgan in Menage are also in Helston District.

so it appears William was Ralph's son born a few years prior to marriage

Cornwall Census is free online

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,144624.0.html

1851 Census gives the boys ages as 7 and 1 HO107/1913 Folio 298 Page 16

This John would not have been 21 in 1866 Looks like he may have been born Sep 1849 Helston 9 105 (that fits with the baptism and the age in 1851)

There was a John aged 5 buried 25 Apr 1854 at Breage (Althea's Site) If that is him age is out a little bit I don't see another in Breage in 1851 to fit. John does not appear in 1861 yet the family are in Churchtown (the address for this John buried in 1854) so I think this burial is for their son.  ;)

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk