Author Topic: Date and age for my great great uncle  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
Date and age for my great great uncle
« on: Thursday 09 December 10 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Could anyone offer a more specific date for my great great uncle?  Also how hold do you think he is?

The research that I’ve done so far leads me to believe that R.C. Clifford operated in Bradford prior to coming to Middlesbrough, and he may have moved to 18 Wilson Street, Middlesbrough, between around 1895 and 1898.

By 1910 there was a printer at this address so presumably Mr Clifford must have moved out - indeed he can be found later at a Marton Road address, from where I believe he operated for quite a number of years following.

So that gives a time period of roughly 1895ish to 1910 for this photo, but I’d love it if the experts on here could narrow it down even more for me?

My great great uncle was born either late 1869, or very early 1870, being baptised on 1 February 1890.  He married on 18 June 1900.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Whipby

PS - have just looked back at my notes and seen that R.C. Clifford was at the Marton Road address in 1908, so that narrows it down even more than I originally thought.

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Re: Date and age for my great great uncle
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 December 10 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Whipby...the design on the back of this photo is definitely an 1890s design, probably late. By the early 1900s the cardstock changed to a different textured cardboard with square corners, often white, with plain backs. Generally speaking, of course, it wasn't like a law of physics :) So I think you can probably safely say that this photo remains in the 90s.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 December 10 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you China, that's great!

I had wondered if it was taken to mark his 21st birthday, but this would have been late 1890 or early 1891, and from memory I don't think this photographer was at this address in the 1891 census so that rules that theory out.

Then I wondered about his marriage in June 1900, but wasn't sure about that either - I have scanned copies of two photos of his wife, but neither of them match this style of photo.  However do you think it's feasible that this might be the case?  June 1900?  Maybe using left over card stock?

Whipby
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 December 10 15:26 GMT (UK) »
He looks older than 21 to me, but maybe it's the mustache. And what a mustache it is :D

Yes, you'd think a wedding photo of the bride would be printed on the same cardstock. See how this one has been trimmed at the lower right corner...likely to make it fit better into an album slot without damaging the page.

So, it's always possible it's leftover cardstock, of course, but it wasn't like a law that at the stoke of midnight 1900 everybody had to be using the new stuff :) It could be a wedding photo.

Not very helpful...perhaps you will get some other opinions. You might try PMing PrueM...she's a pro and knows a lot about photo styles.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 December 10 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Age-wise I would place him as late 20s to early 30s. I think the wedding photo idea is quite plausible. I have a few marriage photos that have had various people cut out of them and enlarged. In these there is always a fading out of the background in the image.

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 December 10 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks China and David.  I have always thought he looks very young, early 20s at the most, to me, but then there is that fabulous moustache which must have taken some growing!

He was 30 when he married and I don't personally think he looks 30 here, but then I'm not much good at judging ages so am very open to all suggestions. 

He's not wearing a button hole either - does that matter?

Offline gascoyneone

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 September 17 15:10 BST (UK) »
HELLO
I AM INTERESTED TO READ MORE ON R.C. CLIFFORD. I HAVE A 6X4 INCH NEGATIVE IN SLEEVE WITH HIS NAME AND ADDRESS AT 18 WILSON STREET ON IT. THE IMAGE IS EXCEPTIONAL TECHNICALLY AND CREATIVELY ITS  OF THE FIVE LAMPS THORNABY ON TEES ABOUT 1900 . I THINK HE PRODUCED A SERIES OF CARD OF THORNABY WHICH HAD AN OVAL EMBOSSED FRAME I HAVE TWO OF THESE SOMEWHERE. MOST INTERESTINGLY THERE ARE 4 YOUNG PEOPLE WHO APPEAR IN BOTH THESE CARDS WHO  DO LOOK INCONGRUOUS . IT IS POSSIBLE CLIFFORD TOOK THESE PEOPLE WITH HIM TO HELP THE COMPOSITION AND THEY MAY BE RELATIVES OR FRIENDS. DO GET IN TOUCH AND I AM SURE I CAN ARRANGE TO GET A COPY OF THE IMAGES TO YOU  DEREK