Author Topic: CURGENVEN - anyone heard of this name ?  (Read 21434 times)

Offline slingsby.b

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CURGENVEN - anyone heard of this name ?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 20 January 17 13:50 GMT (UK) »
The Marriage of George Gay & Frances Curgenven: 
Although Francis (dau of Peter & Jane) was bpt in 1739 that does not mean her date of birth, many people have been baptised just before marriage to enable a church wedding. I have seen in my wife's family trees persons who were baptised at 12 & 14 years old and mostly at the same time as younger brothers or sisters (a job lot) but normally the vicar has identified on the edge of the page a note to confirm the age at baptism.
I suggest you check the burial of Frances to see if an age is recorded.

Brian

Offline Paul Dunstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 20 January 17 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Brian
Thanks very much for for your help. It did cross my mind about being baptised later in life. My Frances Curgenven married George Gay in 1751, and was baptised in 1739. Her burial was in 1788, aged 68, making her birth about 1720 baptised at 19 and married at 31. This makes better sense. I take it there is no registry of births.  Regards. Paul.

Offline slingsby.b

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 20 January 17 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Paul, not cetain exactly when the registration of Births, marriage and Death started but think it was around 1840, although about 15 years ago at the Family Records Centre I checked for the oldest  Certificate which was an 1832. I believe there was a period before it became law to Register.

Brian

Offline Paul Dunstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 20 January 17 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again.
I think I have the wrong Frances Curvengen. According to the the burial record, she was born about 1920 but I cannot find the right parents. I dont think it can be Peter and Jane. I am relying alot on Cornwall OPC. Paul.

Offline slingsby.b

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 20 January 17 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Paul,  I am unsure with your problem, but the census records are great for locaing families from 1841 up to 1911.  Free BMD is good for 1841 to 1891 but you need to go you liberary to see 1901 & 1911 free via find my Past

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 21 January 17 02:18 GMT (UK) »

Paul said

"That marriage is listed on the Cornwall OPC ."

Thank you Paul. The record is also on Family Search.
I tend to use the OPC Index and then try and find the record on Family Search.
However there are still records that appear in one place but not the other and vice versa.

Someone kindly PM'd me Blanche's baptism and I was able to view the record on Family Search.
Some additional information from an abstract of a lease in the CRO catalog provided further evidence that I now have the correct parents for Blanche. Their marriage is indexed on the OPC and again I was able to view the record (such as it is - two names and a date) on Family Search.

Thanks to those who responded.

Venelow

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 23 January 17 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Edward,
My wife`s FT starts with Walteri Philpe (no bpt) but marriage 20th Oct 1566 this goes down to Edward Philp bpt about 1736 but to to his 5th child John Philp bpt 15th Aug 1775, then to Peter Blamey Philp bpt 1st April 1804.
At present I am updating my wifes other FT the Lean/ Leane and so I can not recall the line down off the top of my head as the Philp FT has been widened to include as many branches as possible. This has at present 364 persons on the FT.
If this is of interest to you we will need to comunicate somehow ?
Brian

I have Edward Philp as being baptised at Gerrans 8th April 1740 to Daniel Philp & Elizabeth James. Does this match your EP?

I am now wondering if I have made an error :-\

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk