Author Topic: CURGENVEN - anyone heard of this name ?  (Read 21455 times)

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CURGENVEN - anyone heard of this name ?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 February 07 18:14 GMT (UK) »
There was/were 2 Curgenvens playing for Plymouth Cricket Club in the mid/latter 1800s...according to newspaper scorecards........

Phil

Offline battery rocks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 12:11 GMT (UK) »
only as a matter of intrest there was a charles curgenven who lived in penzance this man was an extreamly fine organist taught music privatly he also wrote a peice of music for the late king george the 6th.
hope it helps
                  dennis  osborne                     penzance ;D
I am sorry but my emails are not working.

Offline rob e

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 March 07 20:59 GMT (UK) »
I've traced my family tree back to Catherine Judith Curgenven who was baptised on 02/08/1818 at the Parish Church of St. Andrews in Plymouth . Her parents are stated as John (a patten maker) and Mary. I’ve also traced 4 others Curgenven’s baptised in Plymouth with the same parents:-

Elizabeth – 25/03/1799
Thomas – 02/09/1804
Benjamin – 10/01/1808
Nicholas – 30/05/1814

I would now like to find out more about John Curgenven's origin. Is he related to the Cornish Curgenvens? Anyone able to help?

Many thanks.

Rob
Beck, Coldicott, Cranforth, Curgenven, Fields, Hesse, Johns, Kingdom, Nelsey, Quarm, Rankin, Rowlings, Russell, Sanders, Sheppard, Zealey

Offline rob e

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 May 07 21:05 BST (UK) »
...and Henry, baptised on 11/06/1810.

Further Curgenven info - John Curgenven and Elizabeth Metchlor married in East Stonehouse (Plymouth) on 20/01/1820. They had a son, Francis Metchlor Curgenven baptisted on 02/02/1823. Father John is a patten maker (is this the same guy?)
Beck, Coldicott, Cranforth, Curgenven, Fields, Hesse, Johns, Kingdom, Nelsey, Quarm, Rankin, Rowlings, Russell, Sanders, Sheppard, Zealey

Offline Bluesskia

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 December 10 21:04 GMT (UK) »
hi i know that this might be about 4 years late are you still looking for information of the Curgenven family? if so i might be able to help my mother is curgenven by birth it was her maiden name before she got married. my grandmother has done a lot of research into the curgenven ancestry.

if their is anything you need to find out please let me know.

cheers

megs 

Offline rob e

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 December 10 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Megs, it's never too late. I've hit a brick wall on this one. John Curgenven, living in Plymouth in 1799, probably earlier, is the person I'm really interested in. Do you have a record of a John Curgenven marrying a Mary late 1700s?

Rob

Offline curgenven

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 January 11 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Curgenven family tree can be found on my website. If you can give me any 1900's names to add I would be greateful. Any others?

Read the story of George Curgenven taking the desendants of the Mutiny of the Bounty to Norfolk Island

www.brendoncurgenven.co.uk

Offline JonOfTheBeeb

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 June 13 15:53 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know of any image of John Brendon Curgenven (1831 - 1903) who founded the Infant Life Protection Society, please? The BBC is making a programme that would belatedly give him credit for his achievements as a social reformer who pioneered today's child protection laws. It seems astonishing that he would never have been painted or photographed, considering the eminent circles in which he lived and worked.

Thank you.

Jon

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 June 13 17:33 BST (UK) »
I was taken aback too.All the info' on him and no photo.
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />