Author Topic: Spence Family from Kerry Pike County Cork  (Read 2317 times)

Offline mistycat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Spence Family from Kerry Pike County Cork
« on: Friday 10 December 10 17:24 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to unravel details about my mother's family from County Cork, but finding it difficult as I live in Somerset, England.  I would be grateful for any help that anyone can give me.

The details I have so far are as follows:

My mother was the daughter of a Julia Spence, who came from Kerry Pike, and Albert Wakelin, a British soldier, who she married in the Church of Saints Mary & Ann Shandon, Cork, on the 9th January 1916.   Julia Spence was born on the 13th November 1886 in Kerry Pike and was the daughter of a John Spence and Margaret Coleman(Nee Hayes) both of Kerry Pike who were married in the Roman Catholic Cathederal Cork on 22nd April 1884.   On the marriage certificate Margaret Coleman is described as a widow from Kerry Pike and her father is given as a Bartholomew Hayes, carpenter.   John Spence is described as a labourer from Kerry Pike and his father is given as a William Spence, labourer.   Margaret Coleman(Hayes) was born in about 1857 and seems to have died in the first quarter of 1890.

Julia Spence had a brother, William, who seems to have been a couple of years older than her.    After Margaret died John Spence seems to have married again in early 1891 to Mary ?.  In the 1901 census John, Mary, William & Julia are living in what is described as House 1 Coolymurraghue and in 1911, Mary, a widow, and William & Julia who are described as her step son & step daughter are shown as living at House 3 in Coolymurraghue.

I am keen to find out as much as I can about the family and in particular as much information as I can about William Spence, father of John Spence, Bartholomew Hayes, their wives and any other family members.

I would be grateful for any help that anyone can give.

Offline colleenscousin

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Spence Family from Kerry Pike County Cork
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 June 18 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Misty Cat
Here I am replying to your post--8 years later!
From the info you've posted in your inquiry about the Spence family, I suggest that we're likely relatives.  My 2nd Great grandfather appears to have been your John Spence's brother.  His name was George.  (I don't guarantee my research--I have merely identified records that SEEM to indicate this.)  The John I've identified WAS married to a Margaret Hayes.

In attempting to research the Spences in the Kerry Pike area, I created a spreadsheet with about 90 Spences in the 1800s and early 1900s, wanting to figure out, who is related to whom.  I believe / suspect that a William Spence is the father of both George and John.

Have you also identified / connected with a mutual cousin, in Chesterfield?  She's my 2nd cousin 1x removed.  A descendant of the aforementioned 2nd greatgrandfather, above.

Sorting through all of these Spences is a bit challenging, as there are so many Johns, Williams and Julias!

I hope this email will reach you.
Colleenscousin