Author Topic: Bray marriage  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Poppyjoey

• RootsChat Senior
  • GG Grandmother Louisa Laville
    • View Profile
Bray marriage
« on: Sunday 12 December 10 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

I am looking for a marriage which probably took place in Bray.

It is between William Abercrombie (born Bray 1766 father George Abercrombie) and Elizabeth Bartlet (born Bray 1766, possible father John Bartlet and mother Elizabeth Slough).

Their first child was William baptised Cookham 23.2.1794, so the marriage probably occurred between about  1785  and 1793.

I have found William on the 1841 & 51 censuses, and Elizabeth on the 1841. William's probable death 1853. Elizabeth's 1844 .

Many thanks
Julie
Abercrombie & Bartlet -  Berkshire
Collinge - Lancs
Finch - Cheshire
Orwin - Derbyshire
Simpson - Shropshire
Morgans - Montgomeryshire
McCartney - Ayrshire
Pursell - Argyll
Ramsay - Argyll
Thomson - Argyll
Hutchinson - Cheshire
Laville - Warwickshire
Rea - Warwickshire
Drake - Kirkheaton
Brook - Kirkheaton
Humpleby - Kirkheaton

Offline splodge1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bray marriage
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 March 11 05:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,
I cannot help you directly with William's marriage, but I too am interested in the ABERCROMBIE family of Bray/Cookham/Maidenhead. I know that William was baptised at Bray in 1766, the son of George and Mary ABERCROMBIE. I am descended from Frederick ABERCROMBIE who I believe is another son of George and Mary, although I have not found a baptism to prove it. George and Mary had a daughter, Charlotte, baptised at Bray in 1769, but she died in 1772. I suspect that Frederick and several other children (Mary, George Thomas, John, Abraham) were born before George and Mary arrived in Bray.
Family legend has it that George was from a privileged family and he eloped with Mary. With a name like ABERCROMBIE, the family must originate in Scotland, but I don't know if George and Mary eloped from there. I wonder where their earlier children were born and what made them end up in Berkshire.
Does any of this ring any bells with you?
John
British Columbia, Canada
**Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
NTH:Hodges, Warwick, England, Merrill, Newcombe, Wilford, Buckby, Tarry, Clark, Langton
LEI:Iliffe, Swingler
BUK: Howe(s), Johnson
BRK: I(s)les, Abercrombie, Lovegrove
DEV: Greenslade, Smale, Medlon
SFK: Reynolds
MAY: Scarlett

Offline Poppyjoey

• RootsChat Senior
  • GG Grandmother Louisa Laville
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. I don't know if you recall, but we have been in touch previously, and you very kindly sent me the link to your Abercrombie tree.

My maiden name is Abercrombie and George Abercrombie is my GGGGG Grandfather.

Regarding George, there is an IGI baptism for a George Abercrombie in Bray 1743. It is a submitted entry so it may be incorrect. If it's correct it means George can't have eloped to Berkshire with Mary, which would have been a romantic tale, but make our job harder! Or there were two George Abercrombies in Bray at that time - what do you think?

I will be phoning my aunty who is an Abercrombie at weekend and will ask her what she knows of the family legend. She expressed surprise when I told her I had got our line back to Berkshire, as she thought it should be Scotland, but I'll have another word with her.

I've just had a quick look on the Scotlands People site for a George Abercrombie/Mary marriage but nothing came up, but perhaps my dates were a bit narrow. I'll have another look at weekend.

I'd love nothing more than to get to the bottom of this!

Julie
Abercrombie & Bartlet -  Berkshire
Collinge - Lancs
Finch - Cheshire
Orwin - Derbyshire
Simpson - Shropshire
Morgans - Montgomeryshire
McCartney - Ayrshire
Pursell - Argyll
Ramsay - Argyll
Thomson - Argyll
Hutchinson - Cheshire
Laville - Warwickshire
Rea - Warwickshire
Drake - Kirkheaton
Brook - Kirkheaton
Humpleby - Kirkheaton

Offline splodge1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,
Just after I replied to you, I remembered that we had been in touch a while ago.
Before I moved to Canada, I visited the Berkshire Record Office and went through the Bray and Cookham registers, extracting all the ABERCROMBIE entries I could find. I have no record of seeing a baptism for George ABERCROMBIE at Bray in 1743. Also, I am very suspicious of submitted entries on the IGI. A lot of them seem to be assumptions or wishful thinking. However, it may be worth chasing just in case I am wrong.
I would like to solve this puzzle too!
Let me know if your aunt can shed any light on the mystery.
John
NTH:Hodges, Warwick, England, Merrill, Newcombe, Wilford, Buckby, Tarry, Clark, Langton

Offline pkas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 August 17 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Splodge and Poppyjoe - I too am related, my maiden name was Abercrombie and George and Mary would have been my 6th great grandparents.  I have seen on other peoples records a son named Abraham but can find no firm record of him other than his name on a baptism with wife named Martha for a son named Thomas (who is my 4th GGF).  I'm wondering if Abraham is a mis type and he should be George b1764?? and will be visiting Berks record office in the next month to try and check. Do you have any evidence other than above of his existance?  Its driving me mad as can't get past this.  Karen

Offline splodge1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 August 17 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,
It is good to hear from another ABERCROMBIE researcher linked to the Bray family. Apart from the baptism of son Thomas at Hurley in 1796, I have no evidence of the existence of Abraham Abercrombie. You raise an interesting point about Abraham possibly being a mistake for George who was also married to a Martha and having children baptised at Hurley at around that time. There is even a gap in George's children, between William (1793) and Martha (1798), into which Thomas would easily fit.
I would be very interested to hear more about Thomas and his descendants. I have nothing on him after his baptism.
I hope to hear from you soon,
John in British Columbia, Canada
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline pkas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 September 17 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi John,
My tree before finding the Berkshire link is below and was as far back as I could get.
Thomas b1796 married Mary Ann Lock 1825 in Marylebone.   His wife died in 1834 and Thomas married again in 1837 - Ann Hignell.  Throughout his life he was a bookseller.
Children - Mary Ann  b1825   d Sep1843
               Thomas    b1827
               William      B1829
               George     b1831   d1851
               Frederick  b1834   d1835
I've linked them to Bray based on Thomas going into the workhouse in Aug 1843 together with his 3 sons and again in 1846 when he died in May aged 49yrs.  On both occasions the cost was settled by 'Hurley, Berks'.

As you can see the family names are all there - just Abraham getting in the way!

Let me know what you think,
Karen

Offline splodge1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 September 17 01:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,
Thanks for that information. It does look likely that the parents of Thomas were George and Martha rather than Abraham and Martha. It is not unknown for baptism records to have incorrect parents' names. I have not found a baptism or a marriage for Abraham or any other mention of him.
One way we might be able to prove the link to my ABERCROMBIE family is with DNA. I have had an autosomal DNA test with FanilyTreeDNA. If you did too and we shared some DNA, it would prove that we are related and give a rough idea of the relationship. It is not guaranteed though. If either of us has lost the ABERCROMBIE DNA through the generations, no match will show up.
I hope this helps,
John

Offline pkas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 September 17 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've just received my kit and will be sending back this week.

Regards
Karen