Author Topic: Help wanted to find a French Marquis de Montjarret 1800's  (Read 1392 times)

Offline loggaman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help wanted to find a French Marquis de Montjarret 1800's
« on: Tuesday 14 December 10 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Im trying to find a link to the family Bernard  - the Marquis de Montjarret who married Eleanore Goddard I think in 1837 in Dover Kent but havent proved it yet. ? Bernard died about the 1870's not sure where and Eleanore returned to live in Hastings England till she died in 1903. In the 1901 census she is described as Elenore Bde Montjarret. I believe he was quite a bit older than Eleanor but no proof yet.

They travelled regularly between New Orleans and Paris he has sugar estates in Baton Rogue which was transferred to his nephew when he died. This is all hearsay from old memories jotted down by the last generation and Im trying to prove / disprove the tales. Im not too sure of the spelling of Montjarret I have several from different sources but this throws up the most likely names in Google.

If anyone has ideas??

Thanks
Alex Gill
Gill McIntosh Niven Forbes Taylor Munro (Mainly NE Scotland)

Gould Millar Goddard Watkins Walkden  Bernard Collins Sherriff Tempest
From all over

Offline Maggott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help wanted to find a French Marquis de Montjarret 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Try the French equivalent of Burkes peerage (it's late & i can't think of the title-sorry) but a decent reference library should help.

Years ago (before Hurricane Katrina) I was researching a topic that needed information about New Orleans/ Baton Rouge & the N.Orleans newsaper the Times Picayune dug up lots of stuff for me.  And if your man was smart/rich enough the society pages in Parisian newspapers might note his activities.

Maggott

Offline loggaman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that. Im not sure what to believe with this family I think the lady that wrote the information down had a very high opinion of her family and upgraded them socially in her notes. I will try those suggestions. I  tried the paper without success too many St Bernard which I guess is an area of New Orleans. The issue at the moment is the spelling of their title and the death notice has  de Monjouret so I may try down that line. Is this a valid French Title does anyone know?

From all over

Offline Maggott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Yup, the name & title do sound a bit phoney, but you never can tell.  If they really did commute between Paris & N Orleans there may be some trace in the US papers -as being a bit more provincial than the Parisian ones.
If he owned an estate which he willed to his nephew there should be a trace somewhere - sorry, I don't knowabout US wills, but I'm sure another Rootschatter does.
Good luck
Maggott

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 14:52 GMT (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/ certainly has a possible marriage in 1837 in Dover, which shows him as John Augustus Anthony Bernard.  Or one in 1847 in New Orleans which has him as John Anthony Bernard.  :-\

Do you need/have any other UK censuses with them? I think I can see them in 1861, lodging in St. Heliers.

I see her death as "De Montjauret" on freebmd. I would suggest looking to see if she left a will (since you know her place and date of death it should be much easier than tracking his). Do you know the name of the nephew who inherited?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loggaman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 December 10 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have those the family in New Orleans in 1847 unfortunately ware only 26yrs of age. I have the census in Jersey 1861 and the 1871,1881,1891,1901 for Eleanor. Yesterday I got her Death notice and 1901 census which had her death  as Eleanore de Monjouet and the census as Eleanor B de Montjarret. Her will was left to Charlotte Bevill a close friend as for the other will I havent found the confirmed Marriage or death of John (?) A.A.Bernard yet. Waiting for data from Hastings Cemetery england to see if there is a tombstone with details on it.
Alex Gill

From all over