Author Topic: William Briggs WW2 embroidery  (Read 20219 times)

Offline Dressmaker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Briggs WW2 embroidery
« on: Tuesday 14 December 10 10:16 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find out more about the textiles company William Briggs during WW2, I think the business was based in Manchester during the time. I'm particularly interested in finding out more about the kits they produced for HM Forces and distributed to convalescing servicemen as part of their diversionary therapy. Please get in touch if you shed any light on this subject, many thanks Karen

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Briggs WW2 embroidery
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if this would help, but Broughton House in Salford has been a care home for ex-service personnel since the WW1 up to the present, so if they keep archives, they might have something of use to you on rehabilitation therapy.

When I was at school in the 1960s, we used to visit the home to chat to the residents. I was hopeless at it then being shy 12 year old  :-[ but they had men staying there at that time who had been there since WW2 and even earlier. Its possible that there are residents there today that were WW2 veterans.
http://www.broughtonhouse.com/

Hope this helps
 :) Barbara

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dressmaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you will look into this, looks like a good lead!

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi - this might not help you much, but I have a kit produced by Coats, that I bought cheaply in a flea market from someone who didn't realise people were interested in the social and art history of such things. It contains some instructions, a piece of calico with a picture of a church printed on it, and a needle threaded with brown thin cotton - more like sewing cotton than embroidery cotton. Someone has backstitched along some of the lines. I like to think the person recovered and found something more interesting to do. I am sure it was well meant, but it wouldn't be therapeutic for someone who liked colour or embroidery!

Harlemswife
Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall

Offline goldy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 23:28 GMT (UK) »
This site says it was based in Bolton. http://www.coatscrafts.co.uk/About+Coats/History/
Cooper     Camberwell. Manchester
Callow        I.O.M.
Ellis, Heatley, Hayden,  Manchester
Mellings     Mertha

Offline goldy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 23:34 GMT (UK) »
This site says it was based in Bolton. http://www.coatscrafts.co.uk/About+Coats/History/
There is a craft shop in Manchester Fred Aldous that has been there for decades they might have some ideas.
http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/about.shtml
Cooper     Camberwell. Manchester
Callow        I.O.M.
Ellis, Heatley, Hayden,  Manchester
Mellings     Mertha

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 December 10 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Briggs had an office on Cannon St originally (found it in the 1927 directory). Which is now the site of the Manchester Arndale Centre.

I remembered the name Briggs Transfers as my mum did embroidery sometimes and I still have a few of her old magazines.  I'll have to dig them out and have a look, but I'm pretty sure there isn't anything as old as the 1940s.

I suppose it might have been hard to get the right colours for the embroidery in wartime? Maybe that's why the brown cotton was used? I know everyone unpicked their old jumpers and recycled the wool, perhaps they had to use whatever thread they could find

Oh Goldy, Fred Aldous what a fab shop.. and Bachers fabrics used to be on High St! Don't get me started!  ;D

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 December 10 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara - yes, I am sure you are right. We are so lucky to have wonderful fabrics and threads to work with now. It's what I do when not chasing elusive ancestors!

Harlemswife
Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall

Offline cloverstar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 August 12 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Dressmaker

I have something that you may like, at least  scanned copies of a letter from Wm Briggs which accompanied the Penelope Embroidery Kit "Needlecraft For HM Forces" given to servicemen in hospitals.  I found these items in my mother's sewing box when she passed away.

Not sure how to get the copies to you. I registered on this site just to be able to contact you.
I was on the internet searching for WM Briggs to find out how old this letter and kit is.
Oh, I have just noticed there is a section where I can attach an image. That's good. I'll try that.

Diana ex Brit living in Canada.