Author Topic: William Briggs WW2 embroidery  (Read 20254 times)

Offline Crewelstitches

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Briggs WW2 embroidery
« Reply #27 on: Monday 21 September 15 14:13 BST (UK) »
Picture of completed firesceen

Offline Crewelstitches

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 15:10 BST (UK) »
I had an email from somebody about briggs embroidery I have tried to reply with no luck.  Please contact me again :-)

Offline Old Broadway

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 02 December 16 23:38 GMT (UK) »
My father was the manager of the Art Department of Wm Briggs & Co, Cannon St. Manchester. I believe he joined in the late 1920's.  My mother was trained at Salford College of Art and joined Wm. Briggs about 1931.  They were married in 1934.  My father finally became a Director of the company until his sudden death in 1959.  At that time Wm Briggs was in poor financial shape and were bought out by Coats.  A fire at the Cannon St factory unfortunately destroyed all the archives and records which has made it difficult to get any history of the work they did in WW2 and elsewhere.  Would always be interested in any information on Wm Briggs.

Offline Crewelstitches

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 05 December 16 10:44 GMT (UK) »
I have sent you a message with my contact details

Offline bluehaven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 15 April 24 16:26 BST (UK) »
I use to work at William Briggs which was part of Coats Viyella in the 80s & 90s, at that time it was based at Eagley Mills in Bromley Cross Bolton. It moved to a mill just off Halliwell Road in Bolton at the end of the 90s and ceased trading a couple of years ago.When I worked there we produced some embroidery kits but we mainly did silk screen printing for tapestries and then packed them with the skeins of wool. We produced the kits for such companies as Royal Paris, Kinetic, Glorafillia as well as our own branded kits Penelope.

My mother worked there in the 60s and created some of the designs. Actually came here trying to see if I could find one of them on the internet anywhere, as she has the original pictures but would be nice to find one of the tapestries for her.