Author Topic: Yet another old pub  (Read 11350 times)

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another old pub
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trees

I was talking to my cousin this morn (he is a fountain of knowledge about some of Worcestershire) & happened to mention the Hawford Inn - his response was this - going from Ombersley towards Worcester there is a sign for Chatley on the left hand side of the road, the hawford Inn used to stand about here & was knocked down about 40 yeas ago when they widened the duel caridgeway so the pub is more than likely under the A449 now - it stood near a place called the Dovecote (you can view this place on Wicipedia as its still standing) - the last my cousin Mick knew about the hawford Inn a mother & son were running it.

I hope that this is a litle bit of help to you even though it does sound rather disjointed.

All the very best

Phil
on my Christmas/New Year holiday at Crossway Green - Look on the map lol  :)
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 16:48 GMT (UK) »
very bit helps Phil wow what a great place to be right in the middle of ancestor land i'm Green with envy. Have a perfect Christmas and many thanks for all the help this year
Hazel
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Nemo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hazel
I guess you would like a photograph of the Inn. The County Record Office (CRO) has large photographic collection. The Hawford Inn photos  listed below are held on microfiche at both the History Centre and the County Hall branch:-
http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/community-and-living/records/search-our-records.aspx
You would need to check with the CRO if/how you can obtain permission from the current copyright holder to get a copy of the original photo:-
http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/community-and-living/records/record-office-shop/digital-image-ordering.aspx
1) Register Number 2299 - Date 1941. Copyright Wolverhampton & Dudley Breweries
2) Register Number 31770 - Date 1962. Copyright W.F. Meadows
3) Register Number 24714 - Date 1962. Copyright Berrows
4) Register Number 1637 - Date 1951. Copyright J.R. Reid
5) Register Number 1767 - Date 1951. Copyright Miss E. Warmington

There are others photos but I believe the current copyright holder charges a hefty sum for permission and hopefully one of the above photos would do instead. As I shall not be going to the History Centre for a while, perhaps SKS -  aka Philheeks -  could have a look at them for you when he’s next in Worcester and suggest which is “the best”?
HTH
Nemo

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 21:31 GMT (UK) »
that is great many thanks you wouldn't know if there is a history of the pub at the RO it is most strange not to find any record of it anywhere. Was it a Wolverhampyon & Dudley Breweries house? That may be a starting place to finding anything of it's history.
 ;D
H

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Nemo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hazel
Only part of the Worcestershire Record Office catalogue is currently on-line, but as one of the photos mentioned is the copyright of Wolverhampton and Dudley Breweries, I guess it was their pub. (They are now known as Marstons PLC). It maybe that there is information on the pub in the paper index at Worcester. 
 Perhaps you will find something relevant on this website. http://blackcountryhistory.org/collections/search/advanced/
In the “advanced search” option key in “all partners” then “Wolverhampton and Dudley Breweries”,  or Marstons

HTH
Nemo

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Again my thanks I will take a look at the index we must try to get to Worcester in the new year we usually manage one overnight trip a year its amazing how the time flies there it will be good to be armed with these references to start with
H

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Nemo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Don't forget that the County Hall branch (where any original documents for the pub would be held) is closed the first complete week (Monday to Friday inclusive) of each calendar month.
Nemo

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 December 10 09:59 GMT (UK) »
I'll pop that in my diary as soon as I start the new one thanks How is the new building progressing when is i due to open do you know?

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Nemo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 December 10 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The completion date is 2012. It’s progressing well by the look of it. It’s irregular shape  can be seen,  but the “waffles” area is covered  by wood – unless that’s what the innovative tiles are going to be attached to! 
You can follow the Centre’s progress on:-
http://www.wlhc.org.uk/

If you hope to take photos of original documents at the CRO in the New Year, you will need to buy a photographic permit. See:-
http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/community-and-living/records/policies/charges.aspx
Check with the CRO if  need to take any ID for the permit, other than your CARN card.
Nemo