Author Topic: Was there an orphanage or childrens home on the site of Styal prison  (Read 23038 times)

Offline arkay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Was there an orphanage or childrens home on the site of Styal prison
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 05:42 BST (UK) »
Hi - Although I didn't live at Styal myself, a relative of mine worked at the homes during the time you were there.  I would like to send you a personal message (PM), but you will need to post two more messages, as you need to make 3 posts in order to be able to send and receive PMs. (See the Help Section).  Just a brief word or two will do.
Cheers! 
Travis, Earnshaw, Wild, Hibbert, Warren, Leech - Ashton-under-Lyne
Mills, Fallows - Middleton
Pryce, Evans - Welshpool, Mgy, Wales
Davies - Criggion, Shropshire
Whittaker, Evans, Benussi - Liverpool
Price, Whittaker - Great Crosby
Atherton - Frodsham, Cheshire
Riley - Huddersfield area, Yorkshire

Offline STYAL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 April 15 04:18 BST (UK) »
We used to go to Colwyn Bay in Wales for 2 weeks for summer holidays

Offline STYAL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 April 15 04:20 BST (UK) »
There was always a Christmas Party held at Manchester university for us each year.
My gran lived about a mile away down Brunswick street so I used to sneak out from the party and
go to her house for about an hour

Offline arkay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 April 15 18:28 BST (UK) »
I've sent you a PM.
Travis, Earnshaw, Wild, Hibbert, Warren, Leech - Ashton-under-Lyne
Mills, Fallows - Middleton
Pryce, Evans - Welshpool, Mgy, Wales
Davies - Criggion, Shropshire
Whittaker, Evans, Benussi - Liverpool
Price, Whittaker - Great Crosby
Atherton - Frodsham, Cheshire
Riley - Huddersfield area, Yorkshire

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 03 April 15 10:43 BST (UK) »
I had family too at Styal Cottage homes in the 1920's/1930's.  Only just spotted this thread, not a lot was revealed as I think the family were too ashamed.

Mum and Dad were both alive, but Father was in and out of the Workhouses of Manchester. The four Children were placed at Styal for 2-3 years.

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaycee dove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 18 May 15 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, My uncle was at this home in the 1940s after his mother (from London) was unable to cope during the war. He was unofficially adopted from there by my grandmother after her husband died in 1939 and grew up in Manchester alongside my father and his two brothers as a member of the family. He is still alive - living in the same house for over 60 years now and the last of the brothers - as he was quite a few years younger than them. I got interested in genealogy trying to figure out why my dad had three brothers, two with the same Christian name and none of them with his/my surname - and in fact with in total three different surnames! It was complicated but fun to research.

Offline eddyblue

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 20:09 BST (UK) »
I was resident at Styal from 1953 to 1954 aged 8. I was there exactly 1 year. The home was a place where children with poor health were sent from all over the Gtr Manchester area. The home was operated by Manchester education committee and if there medical staff felt you were not of the right weight-height for your age off you went to Styal. I personally was in poor health. This was entirely due to lack of nutritious food (the war had only ended 8 years earlier) no fresh fruit and vegetables. The regime there was strict, but I loved it. 3 meals a day, green playing fields a farm next to the home (I had never seen farm animals before. All of this for an 8-year-old from Hulme was brilliant. The houses as I remember were all called after famous kids hero's, I was in Robin hood house the girls in house's with names like Alice in wonderland etc. The home had its own hospital, and I spent some time in there after I fell from an apple tree. Your parents were only allowed to visit on Saturday's/Sunday's and visiting was for 2 hours. We used to go on long nature walks along the river Bollin, visits to Wilmslow town centre to watch a film (once a month) and at Christmas we went to a pantomime. To be perfectly honest I missed my family terribly, but when the day came to leave Styal and return home I was sad. All the friends I had made plus the matron and her staff were there to see me off and wish me well. A great place and one I will remember fondly for the rest of my day's. I hope this as given a small insight into Styal for the period I was there. Thanks Ed

Offline Skyelah

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Did you know someone called Cornelius or liked to go name of Ian? Looking for background of my dad. He never spoke of Styal Cottage homes I don't think he had a nice time there. He was adopted by Parkyn when he was 8?

Offline amelinixon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it was known as Styal Open Air School. The school was run along the lines of a boarding school with various cottages Wendy Snow White Robin Hood etc. I was there in 1958/9 for eight months
The school was surrounded by fields and well kept during my time there. It was an orphanage  at one stage I believe.
There has been some bad press about Styal and I can only speak for myself when I say that I did not experience any sexual or physical abuse. I learnt more at the school than I did in my local school. Art and  Music gardening as well as everyday lessons were offered at the school. Uniforms were clean and kids well fed and cared for, albeit in an emotionally deprived environment but then comfort was not 'the thing' anywhere else, people were much more emotionally restrained in those days.