Author Topic: My London Massey dead ends! Any help would be appreciated!!!  (Read 10170 times)

Offline soosfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My London Massey dead ends! Any help would be appreciated!!!
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 10 January 16 21:45 GMT (UK) »
This is to Ray and anyone else interested in the Masseys of London and Camberwell.

After much enjoyable research, I have discovered there is no link to Tobias Massey whose family came to London in the early 1600s. The breakthrough came when I found the Freedom of the City of London  record for William Massey of St Dunstan in the East, father Andrew Massie of Banff, Scotland. William was born in Banff in 1701 and came to London in about 1725 and was a baker. He married Margaret Overton a young widow and they had several children. Sadly only two survived; William (a schoolmaster who married Mary Adams) and Margaret who remained a spinster. William had a son William who was also a schoolmaster (or writing master) and he married Henrietta Holland from Bourne in Lincolnshire. So my Masseys/Massies are proven to about 1670.

Hope this is helpful.

Sue
Massey, Wheldon, Briggs, Earle, Thornhill, Holland, Adams, Giles, Wheals, Sperring.