Author Topic: Matthew Moore - Co Wexford  (Read 9027 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Moore - Co Wexford
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 05 November 16 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi...I've been looking for my ancestors from Wexford for many years and after reading your post, am thinking there may be a link between our families. I don't have a lot of information, but do know that my ancestor by name of William Moore resided at Enniscorthy Castle at sometime. My Moore family go back as far as 1746 in Wexford and they are the main ones I'm researching at the present time. I've found some details from the Church of Later Day Saints site, but very little other information seems to be available unless I pay an astronomical amount of money to have them researched.

The particular family I'm looking for are: William Moore married Frances Hodson and had several children including my great grandmother x 5 ..Mary Ann Moore (who married her cousin John Moore) This is where the Moore name came into our family. I have no information on William Moore except that he once lived at Enniscorthy Castle. My main line came from Frances Hodson, whose parents were Lorenzo Hodson and Elizabeth Hutchinson.

Not sure if this helps you in any way, but maybe you might have some information I could use. In any way, I would love to hear from you. Good luck with your searches.
Kind regards

The Moores of Tinraheen in the County Wexford.

The Rev. William Moore, M.A., was ordained priest by the Bishop of Ferns and Leighlin '25th March, 1682 ; Curate of Christ Church, Gorey, of Killisk and Ballycanew, 1682 ; Rector of Kiltennel, 1685 ; and Liskenfere, 1692 ; Prebendary of Clone, 1695 ; and died intestate before the 9th November, 1705. He may have been buried at Ballycanew.

lie was twice married — Firstly, in 1682, to Elizabeth, d. of Major Roger West, and widow of . . . Masterson. She died on the 20 Oct., 1692.

His second wife was Alice, d. of Henry Martin, s. and h. of Anthony, Bishop of Meath. After the death of her 2nd husband she lived at Boley, in the County Wexford [she had been previously married to Thomas Whitfield, of Dublin, whose Will is dated 1689, and was proved in 1691]. Her Will was made in 1729, and proved in 1740.

By his second wife the Rev. William Moore had several children, including a son : —

William Moore of Tinraheen, Co. Wexford, who died in (September, 1756, aged 57, and was buried at Ballycanew. His wife was Frances, d. of Lorenzo Hodson, of Coolkenna House, Co. Wicldow. She died on the 12th December, 1781, aged 73, and was buried at Ballycanew.

Their children were : —

Lorenzo Moore, of Tinraheen, referred to further on.
Jane, d. 1831, aged 83. Buried at Ballycanew.
Alice, m. William, 3rd s. of Robert Clifford of Wexford.
Elizabeth, m. the Rt. Honble. George Ogle of Bellevue, Co. Wexford (ob. 10th Augt., 1814). She died 11th Augt., 1807.

Mary Anne, m. her first cousin, John Moore. Lorenzo Moore of Tinraheen, and of Merrion Square, Dublin,
was an officer in the 6th Carabineers; Colonel of the Battle Axe Guards ; Ranger of the Curragh ; M.P. for Dungannon in Grattan's Parliament, and for Ardfert in 1709. His Will is dated 1787, and was proved in 1801.

In 1771 he married Henrietta, d. of Sir Stephen Theodore Janssen, Bart., by whom he had a large family, one son being : —

The Rev. Calvert FitzGerald Moore, Chaplain-in-Ordinary to George IV, William IV, and Queen Victoria.

He was twice married — 1st to Catherine (ob. 182-3), d. of Major and Lady Catherine Marlay ; and 2ndly to Julia, d. of Sir Benjamin Hobhouse, Bart.

The Rev. Calvert F. Moore died in 1868, aged 79. He was the father of Miss Catherine G. Moore, who married Frederick, son of Sir James Bathurst.

' The above information has been supplied by Miss Katharine Bathurst (10 Bloomfield Terrace, London, S.W.), who is anxious to obtain copies of the inscriptions on the Moore family tombstones
in the Ballycanew Churchyard, Co. Wexford; and information on the parentage of the Rev. William Moore.'

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline althomoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Moore - Co Wexford
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 April 21 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Chevynova,

I am hoping you get this. I am descendant of Matthew Francis Moore's brother James Aiden Moore. I have possibly everything you are looking for on the Moore Family including detailed information about his first wife and two daughters that were left back in Ireland. It is a very interesting story.

I have been in contact with KPM since 2010.

I hope we can get in contact.

Alan
Moore, Kiernan, O' Sullivan, O' Connor
Other names I know of are:
O' Shea, O' Leary, Guilfoyle (Kilfoyle), Davis, Barrett, O' Neil, McKenna, Donlon, Flanagan, Lynn and McLoughlan