Author Topic: Home Children  (Read 30464 times)

Offline Sal1525

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Home Children
« on: Tuesday 21 December 10 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Can anybody help to find the marraige details for the following people, please?

Elijah Arnold, B/-Chatham Kent England-emigrated to Canada-served in Canadian Army WW1-married . Possible abodes; Leeds. Kitley or Brockville Ontario_he was a Farmer.

Edward Merchant Arnold/Brown--- B/1887 Medway England-Emigrated to Canada----married Valerie/Valeria Pratt- Kitley or Leeds--Labourer, I think

Keziah Elizabeth Arnold-B/1901 Chatham Kent England_Emigrated to Canada_Brockville-Unsure of who she married.

Robert Welch/King(alias)-Adopted and sent to Canada-in the Canadian Army-B/ 1887 Medway Kent England_Wife Hannah-abode 55 Maskham, where that is I am unable to decipher-Foeoclto??

John Welch-adopted and sent to Canada-Ontario-B/ 1886 Holloway London

They are all siblings and half siblings. Parents are Robert Welsh, Elizabeth Merchant and Edward Arnold.
I will assume that the marraiges took place between 1910-1920 for the Welch`s and 1920-1930 for the Arnolds.
And if there are any death entries found for any of the afore mentioned you will make my xmas a special one.
From a hopeful member. Thankyou in advance
Jordan. Bartlett. Arnold. Beaney. Pickett. Brazil.  Huckstep. Eastwood. Potter. Dighton. French----Kent. Bucks. Essex. Sussex. London.  Kirby. Martin----Ireland.
Brewin. Gregory. Dixon. Merchant. Welsh. Leicestershire. Lincolnshire.

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marraige Look-Ups. Deaths_a Bonus.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Start with these:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-100.01-e.php
Soldiers of the first World War
You can see attestation papers, and you can find if someone has died fighting,

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~onvsr/
Ontario Vital statistics project
You can see BMDs for Ontario from about 1865 – 1920’s

http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/
Ontario Cemetery Finding aid
You can find names for all of Ontario, or search for Brockville

http://automatedgenealogy.com/
Automated Genealogy
1852, 1901, 1906, 1911

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 15:28 GMT (UK) »
There is a Canadian Marriage listed for Elijah Arnold. Father Edward Arnold and Mother Elizabeth Oliver  ??? Elijah's address looks like Tillsonburg. Ontario. He was a bachelor. Occupation:- Labourer.
The Marriage took place Oxford County. Ontario - 5 th Sept 1918 to Hazel Crossett - Parents Lewis Crossett and Gertrude Price. Hazel was a spinster. Occupation Maid.

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Sal1525

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi
vbain; thankyou for the websites, I only had 2 of those.  Still fairly inexperienced at working my way around the `compo` and sites, but getting there.

Sandra_Brilliant, your a star. That is the right Elijah.  On checking the census info in Medway Kent I can see that Elizabeth, his Mother is with a Frederick Oliver.  I shall see what I can dig up on Hazel.

Thankyou. Elizabeth Merchant had children with her first marraige to a Robert Welsh, he died, and some of her children were put into Dr Barnados. And then Adopted or emigrated to Canada.
She is then found to be living with a Thomas Brown and has a daughter Faith with him, before re-marrying Edward Arnold in Chatham Kent England-and as stated before, some of those children went to Canada.
Tracking these Canadian_` children` down is hard work, so I am chuffed that you found the marraige.
So, Tillonsburg, would that be in upper or lower Canada?

I am just going off to do some more digging, be back later, Thanks
Jordan. Bartlett. Arnold. Beaney. Pickett. Brazil.  Huckstep. Eastwood. Potter. Dighton. French----Kent. Bucks. Essex. Sussex. London.  Kirby. Martin----Ireland.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Tillsonburg is located in South- Western Ontario, Canada -  In the southern end of the County of Oxford. Tillsonburg is bounded on the east by the Region of Haldimand-Norfolk and on the west by Elgin County.

http://www.fredsphoto.on.ca/tburg.htm

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Sal1525

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sandra

Excellent. I have just been on Ancestry and put in the marraige info for Elijah and Hazel, and although not a worldwide member there, I was able to glean titbits of data. If not a WW member then one cannot view the records.
What I found coincides with your last post on Tillsonburg. Thankyou.
Hazels Father Lewis was born Oct 1870 Ontario-he married twice.   Firstly to a Alberta Gertrude PriceB/1871 Ontario_D/ 24 Jul 1907 Oxford, Oxford County Canada. Married 1907
Then he wed Annie E Haycock B/May 1880-D/1946 Tills/

I have Lewis`s parents and Grandparents, and all of thier children down the lines_thankyou.  Origins New York.
But,  all of them are located in the census`, although I can only view the area that they are in,( but even so I have learnt a lot in a very short time on this site)  in the areas of Elgin East; Norfolk: Oxford County; Bayham Township in Elgin_al of which is very useful and goes a fair way enabling me to picture where Elijah lived. As a Farmer I wonder would he have had his own land-or leased it-or was he really an Agricultural worker?
He surely must have had contact with his siblings, I am musing.
I am off to do some more digging.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 18:22 GMT (UK) »
The birth entry for Hazel Crossett born 6 Oct 1896 Elgin County to Lewis Crossett and Alberta Price.

Family tree entry says the Mother Alberta Gertrude Price died 11 Jan 1900 Oxford. Ontario.
The spouse was given as Elijah Arnold. (no Sources)  A private treee entry has 6 attached records.

A family tree entry for Keziah Arnold gives a death of 1984 Bockville. Ontario. Canada (No Sources - no married name).  Also names Edward Merchant Arnold born 19 November 1894 n 3 Sliketts Hill, Chatham, Kent. Died 1971 n Smiths Falls, Ontario, Canada, Married to a Valerie Pratt 21 Sept 1915 Brockville, Leeds County, Ontario, Canada.
Valerie Pratt born  3 Nov 1884 in Elgin, South Crosby Twp, Leeds County, Ontario, Canada. Daughter of Squire Pratt 1844 - 1898 and Adaline Soper 1846 - 1896
Edwards parents given as Edward Maggie Arnold and Brown Arnold

Aplogises we crossed posted.  ;)

Offline Sal1525

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra

Great news on Hazels birth. Thankyou.
The Tree you are viewing is that on Ancestry?
I am off for my tea so I hope to catch you again later.
Big Thanks

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Kezia Arnold, 9, part of a group of Barnardo's children arrived on the Tunisian landing at Montreal bound for Toronto 5 Aug 1910.

Marriage for Elizabeth Arnold, resident of Brockville, 20, b. Scotland (mistake written beside this) underneath written Chatham, England, d/o Edward Arnold and mother not filled in.  Married 2 Dec 1920 at Toronto, Ont. to Charles Edward Randle, 29, teamster, b. Meaford, Ont. s/o Thomas Randle and Mary Morris.  Witnesses were Vida Lamb and Ellen Davis of Toronto.

There is a family ancestry tree which show Kezia Elizabeth marrying Charles Edward Randles with no marriage date and different parents for Charles (Edward Henry Randles and Ada M. Freeman).  There is a marriage for Charles Edward Randles with Ada Freeman as mother on 20 Sep 1926 at Ford, Ont. to Marie Jenette Mannie.  This Charles was born in Manitoba and both he and his spouse are RC.  The owner of the tree might have mixed up records??

If you use the OCFA you will find that Kezia Elizabeth Randle (Arnold) is buried along with Edward Randle in Glen Elbe Cemetery Leeds County Yonge Rear Township.  In the same cemetery is Muriel Irene Randle and Thomas Edward Randle (perhaps the father of Charles?).

Debbie