Author Topic: Immigrants to South Australia on The Trafalgar and Aboukir--GARRIGAN & PLUNKETT  (Read 5327 times)

Offline tullox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have just today read a newspaper article from 1847 that my relative x4 great grandmother Mary Garrigan was recruited from the tenants of the estate of Sir Montagu Chapman and sailed in "The Trafalgar" for Adelaide South Australia in 1847. It also appears that he sponsored emigrants on "the Aboukir" which was the ship her husband William Plunkett came on. I know not much about them as there is very little documentary evidence. I know they were married in the Catholic Church in 1849 and they resided at Dry Creek. I also know the children (0r some of them from the marriage). We are descended from Elizabeth Mary Plunkett who married Henry Law/urence Scott at Sheoak Log. Does anyone have any information on either of these names --Garrigan and Plunkett both here and in Ireland. Castle Killua was the estate of Sir Montagu Chapman and that is in Clonmellan Westmeath. Any information or possible leads would be very welcome.

Season's Greetings
Sue ;D

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Immigrants to South Australia on The Trafalgar and Aboukir--Garrigan & Plunkett
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Sir Montagu Chapman died at sea near Australia
http://familypedia.wikia.com/wiki/Sir_Montagu_Lowther_Chapman_%281808-1853%29

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
Re: Immigrants to South Australia on The Trafalgar and Aboukir--Garrigan & Plunkett
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 21:07 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,50.0.html

You  could also post your query on  the Ireland Board  for any help with the family background

JEnn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline Treadsoftly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 21:40 GMT (UK) »
South Aust marriage registration index 1842-1916
William PLUNKETT (age FL ?) marriage to Mary GARRIGAN (age FL ?)  1/7/1849, groom's father Unrecorded, place Catholic Church,Adelaide, district Adelaide, Book 8, page 135

South Aust Biographical Index.
William PLUNKETT arrived 1847 ABOUKIR, residence Dry Creek, Salisbury, Adelaide, Gepps Cross, Religion Roman Catholic,
married 1/7/1849 Adelaide SA. Mary nee GARRIGAN.
Children - Eliz Anne (1850), Mary (1851),Cath YEATES (1852), Margaret (1854), Thomas (1856), Michl (1858) twin, Bridget
(1858) twin, William (1859), James (1861).
The Goldfields of Victoria. Sarah Island.
Meadows & Fisher

Offline Treadsoftly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 22:19 GMT (UK) »
South Australian Register (Adelaide) 11th September 1847.
Emigrants by the Aboukir, reported in our last ~ Wm. Plunkett, John Plunkett.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0avp/

South Australian Register (Adelaide) 7th July 1847.
The following are the names of the Government emigrants by the Trafalger, reported in our last Saturday's number - ~
Mary Garrigan.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0avq/

South Australian Register (Adelaide) 22nd Nov 1848
Ryan  V. Stephens.
To the Editor.
~ The families of Charters, Conlon, Garrigan, and others in this colony, were neighbours in Ireland, tennants of Sir Montagu Chapman, sailed in the same vessel - Trafalgar - arrived July 1847.
Mary Garrigan witness (received 'a tongue lashing' while going to church with friend) in case re - sister assaults brother "a Protestant going to marry a Catholic".
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0avr/
The Goldfields of Victoria. Sarah Island.
Meadows & Fisher

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Immigrants to South Australia on The Trafalgar and Aboukir--GARRIGAN & PLUNKETT
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 December 13 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Montague Lowther Chapman died 1853 off Australia The Chapman's were cousins of Sir Walter Raleigh who gave them land in Ireland in the 1580's hence the Estate at Killau which has an Obelisk erected in the grounds of the Killau Castle in Memory of Sir Walter  Sir Thomas Robert Tighe CHAPMAN 1846 -1919 was born just up the road at South Hill, Delvin he was second son of William Chapman 1812 -1889 who was Montague's 1808-1853 younger brother. Sir Thomas had 4 daughters at South Hill looked after by a "Nanny" from Skye named Sarah Lawrence he had a relationship with her she gave birth to Robert Montague Lawrence out of wedlock and Sir Thomas eventually eloped with her giving up his inheritance to South Hill and Killau  to his younger brother Benjamin in return for an annual payment. He and Sarah arrived at Porthmadog and took accommodation at Tremadoc where the lived as Mr & Mrs Lawrence as she gave birth on 16th August 1888 to Thomas Edward Lawrence later to be known as "Lawrence of Arabia"- Not a lot of people know that!      BUT really he was "CHAPMAN OF ARABIA"!   a friend Ronald D Knight wrote a book :- "T.E. LAWRENCE'S IRISH ANCESTRY AND RELATIONSHIP TO SIR WALTER RALEIGH"   - ISBN: 0 903769 91 3    Cost  £6   sales@lithopress.co.uk   It has photos and a lot of research in this book. Sadly Ron passed away a few years ago. A big loss to the  T E Lawrence Society    Killau Castle has now been renovated by a German Banker who lives there with his family.
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline CaraNE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Montague Lowther Chapman died 1853 off Australia The Chapman's were cousins of Sir Walter Raleigh who gave them land in Ireland in the 1580's hence the Estate at Killau which has an Obelisk erected in the grounds of the Killau Castle in Memory of Sir Walter  Sir Thomas Robert Tighe CHAPMAN 1846 -1919 was born just up the road at South Hill, Delvin he was second son of William Chapman 1812 -1889 who was Montague's 1808-1853 younger brother. Sir Thomas had 4 daughters at South Hill looked after by a "Nanny" from Skye named Sarah Lawrence he had a relationship with her she gave birth to Robert Montague Lawrence out of wedlock and Sir Thomas eventually eloped with her giving up his inheritance to South Hill and Killau  to his younger brother Benjamin in return for an annual payment. He and Sarah arrived at Porthmadog and took accommodation at Tremadoc where the lived as Mr & Mrs Lawrence as she gave birth on 16th August 1888 to Thomas Edward Lawrence later to be known as "Lawrence of Arabia"- Not a lot of people know that!      BUT really he was "CHAPMAN OF ARABIA"!   a friend Ronald D Knight wrote a book :- "T.E. LAWRENCE'S IRISH ANCESTRY AND RELATIONSHIP TO SIR WALTER RALEIGH"   - ISBN: 0 903769 91 3    Cost  £6   sales@lithopress.co.uk   It has photos and a lot of research in this book. Sadly Ron passed away a few years ago. A big loss to the  T E Lawrence Society    Killau Castle has now been renovated by a German Banker who lives there with his family.

T E Lawrence is in my family tree because of the Junner connection.  Note: The spelling of Junner changes and, therefore, difficult when researching.

TEL's grandmother Elizabeth Junner came from Cromarty, joining her brother Walter Junner, a Mariner who settled in Sunderland with his wife, formerly Elizabeth Marriner born Sunderland. On the 1861 census I have the Junner family staying in Church St, Monkwearmouth with Elizabeth (Marriner) Junner's father Christopher, a shipwright. Elizabeth had just had her own baby. Just a few streets from them is Roker Terrace, a large house on the seafront where the Lawrence family were living and Elizabeth Junner a House Servant was working. No doubt already expecting Sarah Junner Lawrence
who was born on 31 August 1861 in Sunderland to Elizabeth Junner and John Lawrence. (His mother's name is Sarah).

1871 census Sarah was living with her uncle George Junner at Dunmore Lodge, Perth Road, Liff Benvie and Invergowrie, Angus, Scotland. (Surname Lawrence born Sunderland).

1881 census again Sarah was living with her uncle George Junner at Duisdale Vore, Skye - a Milliner. (Surname Lawrence born Sunderland).

Perhaps Sarah Junner was employed by Thomas Chapman as governess some time after 1881.

1891 census clearly Thomas Chapman has taken Sarah's name Lawrence and is "Living on Private Means", Longland Road, Kirkcudbright with Sarah and TEL.

I researched this information then found a news article later where another relative reported that Walter Junner's daughter Simonia (Sarah's cousin) confirmed the family connection.

I have often wondered why Sarah gave the middle names of George and Walter to two of her sons.

Offline patsmb

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Immigrants to South Australia on The Trafalgar and Aboukir--GARRIGAN & PLUNKETT
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 September 21 12:29 BST (UK) »

T E Lawrence is in my family tree because of the Junner connection.  Note: The spelling of Junner changes and, therefore, difficult when researching.

TEL's grandmother Elizabeth Junner came from Cromarty, joining her brother Walter Junner, a Mariner who settled in Sunderland with his wife, formerly Elizabeth Marriner born Sunderland. On the 1861 census I have the Junner family staying in Church St, Monkwearmouth with Elizabeth (Marriner) Junner's father Christopher, a shipwright. Elizabeth had just had her own baby. Just a few streets from them is Roker Terrace, a large house on the seafront where the Lawrence family were living and Elizabeth Junner a House Servant was working. No doubt already expecting Sarah Junner Lawrence
who was born on 31 August 1861 in Sunderland to Elizabeth Junner and John Lawrence. (His mother's name is Sarah).

1871 census Sarah was living with her uncle George Junner at Dunmore Lodge, Perth Road, Liff Benvie and Invergowrie, Angus, Scotland. (Surname Lawrence born Sunderland).

1881 census again Sarah was living with her uncle George Junner at Duisdale Vore, Skye - a Milliner. (Surname Lawrence born Sunderland).

Perhaps Sarah Junner was employed by Thomas Chapman as governess some time after 1881.

1891 census clearly Thomas Chapman has taken Sarah's name Lawrence and is "Living on Private Means", Longland Road, Kirkcudbright with Sarah and TEL.

I researched this information then found a news article later where another relative reported that Walter Junner's daughter Simonia (Sarah's cousin) confirmed the family connection.

I have often wondered why Sarah gave the middle names of George and Walter to two of her sons.
I am looking into the Junner line and believe i have found information on Elizabeth Junner that shows she did not die in 1871 ( most websites have her passing away around that time ) I can detail further if anyone is interested